OK, I'm planning to do an Epiphone LP Junior customization.
I want to buy this guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-LP-Junior-Special-Electric-Guitar-101691038-i1150104.gc

It's a really cheap copy of the Gibson Les Paul Junior.

I want to replace the stock humbucker with a Gibson P-94 to get that "LP Junior sound", I also want to replace the stock tuners with Sperzel 3-per-side trimlok tuners, put some strap locks and refinish it.

I'd like to refinish it like this:

Or like this:

Obviously not with the Gibson logo in the headstock, since it's an Epiphone, but in the page I made it, there's only Gibson headstocks.

The whole procces would end like in $400 USD, while a Gibson would cost like $800 USD and I don't have enough money for the Gibson one, so please don't tell me the "Just get a Gibson" kind of stuff.

So, based on the information above, here are my two questions:

Do you think the whole project is a good idea?

Which finish do you think is better?
Last edited by DarkLordArthur at Jul 23, 2009,
First major foreseeable problem: The Epi has a humbucker, rather than a P90. You could pull it off, but you'll need to do some simple routing.

White looks better, incidentally.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Cool. I didn't know the P94 was that kind

You should also look into replacing the bridge with a better one. A Gibson, Badass, or Wilkinson one is going to hold tuning and intonation much better.

Also, Gibson online store sells that pickup cheaper than GC.

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups/Single-Coil/P-94R.aspx
http://store.gibson.com/Products/Pickups/Single-Coil/P-94T.aspx

Last edited by bv310 at Jul 20, 2009,
I think replacing the bridge would be a little harder than the mods I'm planning, but it sounds like a good idea.
I'd like to keep it a wraparound bridge, any suggestions?

Last edited by bv310 at Jul 20, 2009,
That looks awesome, but I've heard that that one cuts up the sides of your hands. Might have been a different brand, though. TonePros are pretty solid, rep-wise.

I have the same guitar, same tuners except not trim loks. You want to replace the nut, and you will probably have to do some fret repair as the Jrs have REALLY shotty fret jobs. frets 19-22 on mine were flat on the treble side like they had never had a crown put on them. Also you cant find an Epi Jr pickguard anywhere unless you get it custom made and the Gibson Jr ones dont fit perfectly. you'll actually have to fill in two screw holes if you buy a gibson jr pickguard.

this is the bridge i got and i love it: http://store.guitarfetish.com/chbastinwrbr.html
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Last edited by sk8freakrt at Jul 20, 2009,
Those seem nice, but I don't wanna make extra-holes to the guitar, and they seem like I would need to.

EDIT: Oh nevermind BV310, you just saw my post
Last edited by DarkLordArthur at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by sk8freakrt
I have the same guitar, same tuners except not trim loks. You want to replace the nut, and you will probably have to do some fret repair as the Jrs have REALLY shotty fret jobs. frets 19-22 on mine were flat on the treble side like they had never had a crown put on them. Also you cant find an Epi Jr pickguard anywhere unless you get it custom made and the Gibson Jr ones dont fit perfectly. you'll actually have to fill in two screw holes if you buy a gibson jr pickguard.

this is the bridge i got and i love it: http://store.guitarfetish.com/chbastinwrbr.html

Well, I'm not building one, I'm just modyfing one, so I don't think I need to buy a pickguard, it is already black if I go for the white finish, or I could paint it red if I decide to go for the black finish. I think replacing the nut and repairing the frets it's too much for me, and I would end up needing more money than what I have.
replacing the nut is probably the easiest thing to do minus putting new strings on a guitar. all you do is knock the old one out with a solid hit or two with a mallet and maybe a chisel and then lightly glue the new one in.
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
well, as far as I see, I got just 2 responds :/ I'm not sure about the finish, but it seems like a pretty good idea
oh, on the finish. i love the white with black pickguard. i actually did just the opposite with mine, i bought a white pickguard and a white pickup and such. personally i think the white with black pickguard would look even better. i just didnt want to spend the time on a refinish :P i think if you did the opposite with the red and black (red paint, black pg) then that would also look really nice.
Rig:
Last edited by sk8freakrt at Jul 20, 2009,
Why don't you just buy a Gibson Melody Maker?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitars?N=100001+304262&Ntk=All&Ntt=melody+maker&Nty=1

You can buy the cheap one and refinish it. This guitar is awsome, my buddy has it and he put a humbucker in the bridge and a single coil in the neck, and it screams. Its also really nice to play, very comfortable.

the thing is that I bought one of these Epi LP Jr to do the same thing, but it just doesnt work as good as I expected. I put a new bridge and a new nut, and I'm pretty sure it needs a set up but i dont know if its worth doing it. I'm gonna buy some locking tuners to give it one last chance and see what happens.
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
Last edited by d.c.guitar at Jul 20, 2009,
I really like how the Junior looks, I have seen the melody maker before, but I think it's just not for me. Tell me what you think about your Junior after you put the locking tuners, and btw, did you change the pickup?
are you doing this for something like hard rock or heavy metal?
(i assume from the red/black coloring.)

if so, get a diff pickup, or a more suitable guitar.

if its just rock, go ahead, the white/black pickguard looks cool.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
are you doing this for something like hard rock or heavy metal?
(i assume from the red/black coloring.)

if so, get a diff pickup, or a more suitable guitar.

if its just rock, go ahead, the white/black pickguard looks cool.

Of course it's not for metal, I know that for metal the best way to go is humbuckers (better is there's 2 of them), and I don't imagine myself playing metal (which I like and play a lot) with a LP Junior. But your comment made me assume that the Black/red coloring is as agressive as I thought.
I want this guitar mainly for punk and rock and that kind of stuff (I am currently starting a somewhat-punk project), and because I like how the Junior looks.

I think the white/black finish is like more "classic" while the black/red one is more agressive. But I don't know which to choose.
Ood idea in theory, but one huge problem is that the jr is made out of a cheap cut of wood. The ones ive played really didnt hold up well i hate to say and the fret work was very shoddy.

Honestly look around for a second hand gibbo les paul jr and upgrade the tuners and maybe the nut, not sure if your in the states or not but in the uk it will only cost about £500 max if you bought secon hand and £700 if you bought new.

Hope this helps
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
I suggest a Dark Green/white pickguard paintjob. 'twould be quite classy.

Quote by DarkLordArthur
I really like how the Junior looks, I have seen the melody maker before, but I think it's just not for me. Tell me what you think about your Junior after you put the locking tuners, and btw, did you change the pickup?

That's cool, I know what you mean. I'll let you know. I didn't change the pickup because I actually like the one it has, its pretty rockin'. I was going to but I couldn't come up with which pickup to get, but I might get this "Chrome Bucker" from Guitar Parts online, because they are pretty fat, and cheap.
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
I've always been a fan of the TV Yellow finishes on LP Jr's. Something to consider:

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by nav00
Ood idea in theory, but one huge problem is that the jr is made out of a cheap cut of wood. The ones ive played really didnt hold up well i hate to say and the fret work was very shoddy.

Honestly look around for a second hand gibbo les paul jr and upgrade the tuners and maybe the nut, not sure if your in the states or not but in the uk it will only cost about £500 max if you bought secon hand and £700 if you bought new.

Hope this helps

Well I live in Mexico...so a second hand would not be a good option, there's not much places to look for well-cared/low-priced guitars. That's why I wanted to go to the states (I live in a border-with-USA-state) and buy the epi and the parts at guitar center. And I've heard such things about the wood (I mean, Epiphone didn't even want to tell which wood it is), but it seems that I'm short of options in that section.

Also, for the TV Yellow finish...I kind of like it, but not in my guitar xD, I mean it's cool and all, but I just don't like it that much to paint my guitar that color, it just doesn't go with me I think.
Quote by DarkLordArthur
OK, I'm planning to do an Epiphone LP Junior build.
No, you aren't. You're planning to do an Epiphone LP Junior customization.
This is not a build.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No, you aren't. You're planning to do an Epiphone LP Junior customization.
This is not a build.

ok, I know that, sorry for the mistake. So now, any REAL comments on the idea?
Quote by DarkLordArthur
ok, I know that, sorry for the mistake. So now, any REAL comments on the idea?
That was a REAL comment.

But if by "real" you mean will I tell you that replacing tuners that are not bad at all with expensive lockers when the strings are still gonna bind in the piece-of-junk plastic nut you refuse to replace, why would I bother? Someone else has already been down that road.

I suppose I might tell you the output jack is one of the weak links on that guitar and you should replace it before anything else (except the nut), but there's no "coolness factor" in doing that when you can spend $$$ and say: "Look at me, I built a Les Paul with a P-94 for crushing overdrive!!!!!"

Or I could tell you that a little time and effort on leveling/crowning/polishing your frets could actually bring the playability of that guitar up to a level that no longer sucks, in a way no paintjob or pickguard ever could. But I'd pretty much be wasting my time, wouldn't I? You can't really impress your little buddies with fretwork. No flash there. All you can do with well finished fretwork would be to play better.

Nah, I only have the one REAL comment. Don't call it a bit of custom work a build. You might actually do that if you ever make another thread, and look less silly, at least here on the forum. Then again, who knows? Maybe I'm wasting my time there, too. idk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
That was a REAL comment.

But if by "real" you mean will I tell you that replacing tuners that are not bad at all with expensive lockers when the strings are still gonna bind in the piece-of-junk plastic nut you refuse to replace, why would I bother? Someone else has already been down that road.

I suppose I might tell you the output jack is one of the weak links on that guitar and you should replace it before anything else (except the nut), but there's no "coolness factor" in doing that when you can spend $$$ and say: "Look at me, I built a Les Paul with a P-94 for crushing overdrive!!!!!"

Or I could tell you that a little time and effort on leveling/crowning/polishing your frets could actually bring the playability of that guitar up to a level that no longer sucks, in a way no paintjob or pickguard ever could. But I'd pretty much be wasting my time, wouldn't I? You can't really impress your little buddies with fretwork. No flash there. All you can do with well finished fretwork would be to play better.

Nah, I only have the one REAL comment. Don't call it a bit of custom work a build. You might actually do that if you ever make another thread, and look less silly, at least here on the forum. Then again, who knows? Maybe I'm wasting my time there, too. idk.

Thanks, that was actually very helpful. Right before you posted this, I was actually looking for nuts on sale, but there's no way you could know that. About the output jack, THANKS again, I didn't know that, but I think it would be going too far since I know nothing about guitar electronics and I actually want to do it myself (in case you suggest a tech). The frets...I don't know how to level or crown them, but I know that if I do anything wrong with the frets they get ruined, I DO want playability and comfort in a guitar, but I don't want to spend money and after all the work ruin the fretboard, which is actually one of the most important part of the guitar for me. And finally, I don't want to impress andybody with cool finishes and that kind of stuff, I want a guitar in which I like in both looks and sound, so the cool finish is for me to like, not to impress anybody; I don't care if people like my music or my guitar, as far as I like it, it is okay.
And, like I said, I know I made a mistake calling it BUILD, and I think I already apologized for that.
The bad-part about what you said, is that you could have said it in a good way, but you did it like an "I know everything and you obviously don't" douchebag. And I'm sure you could have been a little less rude.
But again, thanks for your opinion I DO respect whatever you have to say.
Quote by DarkLordArthur
Thanks, that was actually very helpful. Right before you posted this, I was actually looking for nuts on sale, but there's no way you could know that. About the output jack, THANKS again, I didn't know that, but I think it would be going too far since I know nothing about guitar electronics and I actually want to do it myself (in case you suggest a tech).
A tech to replace the output jack? If you can replace a pickup, replacing the output jack would be no problem.

Quote by DarkLordArthur
The frets...I don't know how to level or crown them, but I know that if I do anything wrong with the frets they get ruined, I DO want playability and comfort in a guitar, but I don't want to spend money and after all the work ruin the fretboard, which is actually one of the most important part of the guitar for me.
Then read about how, and do it. Same for the nut. There are plenty of tutorials on the net. And do it first. Your guitar is worth less that $100 right now. If you mess it up, no great loss. Or pay a tech to do it for you.

Quote by DarkLordArthur
And finally, I don't want to impress andybody with cool finishes and that kind of stuff, I want a guitar in which I like in both looks and sound, so the cool finish is for me to like, not to impress anybody; I don't care if people like my music or my guitar, as far as I like it, it is okay.
Figure out your priorities. Looks. Sound. Playability. Assess the amount of money you'll spend on each part of the job and how much improvement you'll get compared to the $$$ invested.

Only you will know whether the money is better spent to make your guitar better to look at or better to use.

Quote by DarkLordArthur
you did it like an "I know everything and you obviously don't" douchebag.
Not everything, but obviously I know things you don't. And you didn't seem to be doing a very good job of setting sensible priorities. Those are still questionable at this point. You make excuses for not doing inexpensive improvements that would make a big difference.

If you think me a douchebag for saying that, so be it.

Quote by DarkLordArthur
And I'm sure you could have been a little less rude.
You questioned the validity of my initial reply asking me if I had any REAL comments. Then you complain about that in-depth body of information, telling me I said it like a douchebag. And you're sure I could have been less rude? hmmmm. okay...

Quote by DarkLordArthur
But again, thanks for your opinion I DO respect whatever you have to say.
That's nice, but talk is cheap. Either you'll get it or you won't. Either you'll do it or you won't. Time will tell.

Good luck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
You know that epiphone made juniors with p90 pickups or if it was p100 or p900. I'm going to look at one today if they still got it in stock. But thats some nice building
Quote by DarkLordArthur

The second one. The first one i should imagine from the name is going to be for an acoustic.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
That was a REAL comment.

Seriously mate how old are you? You come on this thread where a guy has asked for genuine help on his customization. And yes maybe it's not a "build" but unfortunately we can't turn back the hands of time and change the title before he posted the thread. Then you start making ridiculous assumptions about him "trying to impress his little buddies" as you call it.

Sorry, but is it wrong to ask for advice on how he should build his guitar? Surely that's why we have a GB&C forum in the first place? It's not all about gawping at the pretty masterpieces made by the likes of ormsby and explorerbuilder. Some people actually need help on how to build a guitar and where else are they going to go? The guy has come on here asking for advice. I'm not saying you shouldn't be critical if it's genuinely constructive, just no need to be a complete dick about it.

No-one is questioning that you know a lot about guitars but believe me there are people who know a hell of a lot more than you who are also a bit more friendly with their advice...
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by end_citizen
This thread is over a year old. I don't know why GreenDayFan bumped it.

*Reported.

Exactly