I have a solid plan now to make a tape delay. I had earlier wanted to use an answering machine as a basis for it. But now my project has nothing to do with that except that I'm using the machine for scrap. It will be wired like a normal true bypass pedal on a 3PDT switch, so picture that and replace the PCB with this basic diagram of my plan.

My questions now are what rating pots should I go with and what do I need to change the speed of the motor?

Thanks. Any tips or flaws you see would be appreciated.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
not sure about the pots but id guess a variable resistor for the motor should be fine. dunno if you can get them in a similiar style to pots tho for ease of speed change
Just a suggestion, this may be too hard, but could you make a cassette tape delay? Or is that not possible?
DIO FOREVER
changing the motor speed isn't going to give the effect you're looking for. i've tried something similar using an old marantz PMD recorder that has a variable pitch control. all you could get is a very tight slapback echo. and unless you loop the output back into the input of the recorder you only get one repeat. the key to getting a longer delay is in the distance between the record head and the playback head.
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Quote by 60CycleHum
Just a suggestion, this may be too hard, but could you make a cassette tape delay? Or is that not possible?
Thats what I"m doing here, the diagram is a bit sparse but yeah.. thats what I'm going for

Quote by stevoreno
changing the motor speed isn't going to give the effect you're looking for. i've tried something similar using an old marantz PMD recorder that has a variable pitch control. all you could get is a very tight slapback echo. and unless you loop the output back into the input of the recorder you only get one repeat. the key to getting a longer delay is in the distance between the record head and the playback head.

... I think it would. I don't know if you caught it cause I didn't label it. But each of those squares along the tape is a play head. Making for multiple repeats. The pots will be for volume control of each repeat so that it will decay the way I want it. The motor speed will control delay speed.

sorry, I should have mentioned that, It was in my old thread and I didn't think to realize that I would need to explain my whole idea.

to clarify, the signal will come in and go to the record head, travel along the tape past each play head. Each play head will send the signal down through a volume pot then to the output. volume pot for the Decay and the tape will not loop because I don't plan on having to use the delay for more than the 90 or whatever minutes at one time. I will "break" the actual cassette a little bit to get the tape outside it and across the different heads.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
i dont know if the record and playback heads on an answering machine are far apart enough to give you a usable delay and changing the tape speed would probably end up giving you a lot more hiss than you bargained for.
Quote by noisefarmer
i dont know if the record and playback heads on an answering machine are far apart enough to give you a usable delay and changing the tape speed would probably end up giving you a lot more hiss than you bargained for.

The answering machine's got nothing to do with it, I'm just stealing its heads.

good tip on the hiss though, but then again, I've got my carbon copy for quality delays, this is mostly for fun. if it matters though, I'd probably only be slowing down the speed so that'd probably take away some hiss right?
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
The answering machine's got nothing to do with it, I'm just stealing its heads.

good tip on the hiss though, but then again, I've got my carbon copy for quality delays, this is mostly for fun. if it matters though, I'd probably only be slowing down the speed so that'd probably take away some hiss right?

actually speeding it up would take away hiss. slowing it down increases it. think of a vcr tape and how the audio quality varies greatly between a tape recorded at the slower 6hr speed and a tape recorded at the faster 2 hr speed.
Quote by noisefarmer
actually speeding it up would take away hiss. slowing it down increases it. think of a vcr tape and how the audio quality varies greatly between a tape recorded at the slower 6hr speed and a tape recorded at the faster 2 hr speed.

hmmm... well maybe I can add in a low pass filter somewhere. (or is it high? I get them mixed up as to which lets what pass.) But as I said earlier, this is mostly for the fun of doing it and I'll make use of it little quirks. But thanks for that heads up, I wanna know what to expect.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai