I got a used Peavey 5150 combo about a month ago, the previous owner did not know how old the tubes are. I have noticed that when the I'm not playing I can hear some odd noises such as oddly-spaced huming, occasionally popping,etc. so I've decided to replace the pre-amp and power-amp tubes to be safe.

I play in a MeloDeath band, so I'm going for a darker tone. I like the looks of the JJ ECC83's for the pre-amp and the JJ 6l6's for the power-amp. I'm ordering them as a whole (all 7 tubes) for a little over $100 off of eurotubes, is this the best decision for the money? Or should I consider Tung-sol's for the pre-amp?

My main question though is this: this is my first tube amp, so I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I've heard that you basically pull each tube straight out of the socket, insert the new tubes, and you're good to go. However, I dont know anything about biasing, so is that something I can do myself for the power-amp tubes when I replace them?

Thanks for any help
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
The 5150 is fixed bias, non adjustable. It's biased so cold from the factory that you're unlikely to have any trouble with the tubes running too hot. Just let whoever you order from know what kind of amp you have and they'll try to find tubes that'll match the bias as best they can.

Personally, I'd get tubes from tube depot, I think the shipping is a bit cheaper and they ship a helluva lot faster. Tubes are packed very well also.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
tube depot seems like a good place, on the options they have for each individual tube though, they have matching, high-gain, microphonic, etc. adding only $2 a piece but you can only select one. Obviously playing MeloDeath I'm wanting the high-gain, but how important is the "matching" and "microphonic"?

I'd get one preamp tube matched for the phase inverter (should be the last preamp tube before the power tubes) other than that it's a waste.

The microphonics thing would be more for a hifi audio system I believe since the standard test (which is free) should be more than sufficient for a guitar amp.

"High gain" tube won't necessarily give the amp more distortion so that's a gonna be a waste as well.

I always use tube depot, very dependable company in my experience. I've probably ordered 30 tubes from them in all, no problems with the company, and no problems with the tubes besides the random dud which you'll get anywhere.
Good deal

Also, there is another option that is being offered with these tubes, called "balanced triodes", what exactly is that?

You said to get one matched for the PI, but how would I insure they have one matched that way? will simply choosing the "matching" option automatically tell them that I'm wanting one of the 5 pre-amp tubes matched for the PI?

And also on actually replacing the tubes, what is the correct way to do it? Is it as easy as popping (or unscrewing?) the old power/pre-amp tubes and inserting the new ones?

Quote by Metalcoresoul
Good deal

Also, there is another option that is being offered with these tubes, called "balanced triodes", what exactly is that?

Woops, that's what you want for the PI, not matching, my mistake

You said to get one matched for the PI, but how would I insure they have one matched that way? will simply choosing the "matching" option automatically tell them that I'm wanting one of the 5 pre-amp tubes matched for the PI?

Just add one 12AX7 with the balanced triodes option to your cart, then add 4?(not sure how many preamp tubes the 5150 has) more separately to your cart.

As far as replacing them goes, pull the old ones straight down, push the new ones straight in. Make sure you seat them all the way into the socket. Push firmly, but gently. It's pretty much foolproof.
Oh ok haha

Alright, sounds easy enough.

Thanks for your help Kevin