Page 1 of 2
this is for all the pit users experienced with Photoshop. I am having a little bit of trouble deciding between ordering Photoshop Elements or regular Photoshop. could anyone explain some of the main differences, and say which one you'd recommend for someone who is really only going to be shooping for lulz and minor editing.
If you're only gonna do minor editing and shooping for the lulz, why would you want to spend that much money?

This question is irrelevant if you're going to torrent it, but still, free stuff is always awesome if you're not going to do anything major.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
As much as I hate it, if you're looking for something to do small changes and fun stuff, GIMP.
I thought Elements was nothing like the actual Photoshop. :/ More like a photo management, thingy.
how do you torrent photoshop my mate did it but it didnt work
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
^worked fine for me, not that I torrented photoshop
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by ctb
I thought Elements was nothing like the actual Photoshop. :/ More like a photo management, thingy.

Elements is like Photoshop but with fewer bells and whistles. You won't be able to create layer masks, for example. Other than that, Elements has some decent features, and the interface for Photoshop is so much easier to get around than GIMP.

Get Elements.
Quote by Karvid
If you're only gonna do minor editing and shooping for the lulz, why would you want to spend that much money?

This question is irrelevant if you're going to torrent it, but still, free stuff is always awesome if you're not going to do anything major.

i have ways of obtaining it...

EDIT: also I may have a look at GIMP since its free, does it have a layering mask?
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Seriously, photoshop is too complex if you are just shooping for the lulz. Paint.NET and GIMP are free, legal, and come with all the features you need for UG shoop threads.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
Seriously, photoshop is too complex if you are just shooping for the lulz. Paint.NET and GIMP are free, legal, and come with all the features you need for UG shoop threads.

i'm on a mac so i can't use Paint.NET unfortunately. I've heard good things about it though
Quote by National_Anthem
Elements is like Photoshop but with fewer bells and whistles. You won't be able to create layer masks, for example. Other than that, Elements has some decent features, and the interface for Photoshop is so much easier to get around than GIMP.

Get Elements.
Ahh, 'k, cool.

I got Photoshop CS4 from a torrent, and it was only 53mb. Didn't have to register it, or anything.
Quote by ctb
Ahh, 'k, cool.

I got Photoshop CS4 from a torrent, and it was only 53mb. Didn't have to register it, or anything.

how difficult is it to get used to? I've been using Pixelmator for a while now and i hate it. It's quite glitchy.

also, who here has a bit of experience with GIMP? I'm liking the "free" aspect of it very much.
stick to MS paint..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
how difficult is it to get used to? I've been using Pixelmator for a while now and i hate it. It's quite glitchy.

also, who here has a bit of experience with GIMP? I'm liking the "free" aspect of it very much.
I find the layout much more organised than GIMP. So it's easy to familiarize yourself with the tools and keyboard shortcuts then.
It depends how much you really want to do, if you only want more basic features to do simple things than elements is probably the way to go. I personally, after using regular photoshop for several years, find using elements to be very annoying.
GIMP is a very powerful piece of software. The problem with it is that it has a strange user interface which can be quite inconsistent throughout the software. Once you get used to it though, it's on a similar level as to what it can do to Photoshop.

I for one have been using photoshop for as long as I can remember, and GIMP just can't compare to it. GIMP is nice because it's free and all, but in the long run learning how to use Photoshop is a better use of your time.
Quote by will123456789
stick to MS paint..

im on mac. MS paint doesn't exist on mac.

also, when im talking about an image editor, think about something capable of being used in, lets say a UG shoop thread. ms paint isn't good enough. i've already got a paint program anyways.
Quote by pureebil333
Is paint.net good? And safe?
It's good. Very popular.
GIMP has more features than Paint.NET.
Quote by pureebil333
Is paint.net good? And safe?

Very good once you know the ins and outs of it. And if by safe you mean virus free, it's free so it's an official download from the site, totally clean.

Quote by ctb
It's good. Very popular.

Paint.NET is more user friendly sirrah!
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by ctb
It's good. Very popular.

But Id be able to do shooping like I see here?
I can recommend Paintbrush as a good substitute for MS Paint on a Mac. I use it for simple things when I can't be bothered loading 'shop.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

EDIT: also I may have a look at GIMP since its free, does it have a layering mask?

I believe it does, but if you don't know what it does, and you're not into photography/graphics, you'll probably never need to use the layer mask function.
Learning Photoshop doesn't take long at all.

At least, not to the level of the shooping threads on here.

If you can get CS3/4 for free , then get that. Adobe don't hunt you down, and IMO if you are going to learn a program, it may as well be a good one...
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by entity0009
Paint.NET is more user friendly sirrah!
Piant'NET would be so awesome, if it has GIMP's tools. GIMP'S interface is so annoying.
Quote by pureebil333
But Id be able to do shooping like I see here?
Yeah. See for yourself.
Quote by National_Anthem
I believe it does, but if you don't know what it does, and you're not into photography/graphics, you'll probably never need to use the layer mask function.

yeah i know what it does and how to use it. I used pixelmator before this and it has the same 3 window layout as gimp apparently.

and even if i don't use it often, hell its free. and besides, theres always UG shoop threads to put it to use. (this will be the primary purpose of the program anyways lol)
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by ctb
Ahh, 'k, cool.

You best be Pm'n me a link. I've been looking for CS4 for ages now.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i'm on a mac so i can't use Paint.NET unfortunately. I've heard good things about it though

How can you hate Pixelmator? It's so easy to use and fast!
Quote by ctb
Piant'NET would be so awesome, if it has GIMP's tools. GIMP'S interface is so annoying.Yeah. See for yourself.

Im looking at the requirements for it and Im not sure if my comp meets them.. Im sure it does but im not positive especially this .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, I realise this is from ms but I dont know much about comps and I dont want to f anything up, and im not to keen on downloading things that I dont need or dont intrest me.

Sorry for asking so many questions
Quote by itchy guitar
You best be Pm'n me a link. I've been looking for CS4 for ages now.

You can't have been looking very hard, I got CS4 Masters the week it came out
Quote by CLVPX
You can't have been looking very hard, I got CS4 Masters the week it came out

If you consider checking outside of Pirate Bay looking hard, then no. I havn't been looking hard.

I still need that link though!
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Jul 20, 2009,
I got my copy of CS4 (hypothetically, of course) from the pirate bay, so you really can't be looking hard.

Paint.net is far superior to GIMP. Just try it, way more advanced.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Wait 5 hours
Be accused by the promoter of being late
Get told we have only a 10 minute set
Play pure noise for 10 minutes

Worst and most amusing gig of my life.

Anyone else had this kind of **** happen?!

Dimebag had a worse gig.
Quote by jgbsmith
I got my copy of CS4 (hypothetically, of course) from the pirate bay, so you really can't be looking hard.

Really? You're bullshitting me right?
Quote by MakinLattes
dude, I just searched 'photoshop cs4' there a minute ago and got about 200 results, after checking 'applications only'. What the hell were you searching?

Quote by jgbsmith
dude, I just searched 'photoshop cs4' there a minute ago and got about 200 results, after checking 'applications only'. What the hell were you searching?

Well, I just searched too. The top result looks very promising, but it was uploaded 2 days ago. Most everything else is either plug ins or CS4 master Collection.
Quote by MakinLattes
Page 1 of 2