I have an idea for pitchshifting on nontraditional musical things. I haven't tried out pitchshifter VSTs yet (since I don't know if the idea would even work), so I'm hoping that the community here could see initial problems with my idea:

1. Record a item making a percussive noise (like a ruler being slapped on a desk or a notebook being dropped to the ground)
2. Edit a piece of the sound so that the initial .01 second of the percussion sound is repeated so fast, it creates a tone.
3. Pitchshift the resulting tone to make melodies/chords/whatever i could get away with.

Thanks in advance!
If you know how to do part 2, then I think this could work. If you get some recorded, post clips?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
The only problem I could foresee is everything you use might sound the same once you've sped it up. Maybe use a longer sample and just speed that up where it's almost a solid tone. Sounds good otherwise. Ditto on clips if you can make something worth listening too.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The only problem I could foresee is everything you use might sound the same once you've sped it up. Maybe use a longer sample and just speed that up where it's almost a solid tone. Sounds good otherwise. Ditto on clips if you can make something worth listening too.

I dont think hes talking about speeding it up, but rather taking the initial tone of it and repeating to make the longer note
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
^You're right, I just read fast in that second part and it screwed me up.

TS, seriously though, let us know how this comes out, could be interesting. Also, speaking of non traditional musical things, I think this is relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GydQTutlJGk
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks for the replies!

Well, I'm currently figuring out how to use Gsnap, a free pitch-shifter VST. I use Ableton Live 7 and I'm confused on making it pitch-shift by reading a midi roll. Google isn't being helpful on this. In the meantime, I've figured out how to do the old T-Paine vocal trick.

Does someone have experience with the gsnap vst with ableton? How do you use it in midi mode?
Quote by Kevin Saale

I've made some test noises with tapping a pen at a desk and editing the resulting sound into a tone-like noise. As predicted, it sounds like a screwdriver drilling into my brain.

The result will hopefully be worth listening to! I'll post the results if I can figure out how to get my pitch-shifting software to follow MIDI mapping.
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
I dont think hes talking about speeding it up, but rather taking the initial tone of it and repeating to make the longer note

Exactly. This is the effect I am going for.

I'm hoping the synch the noise with sped up video of myself making the noise, so it should be a really cool audio/video glitch effect.
yes! check out jelly lips by ozric tentacles, they used a synth to do it with a voice clip.

EDIT: here ya go...
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

Last edited by schtick_bomb at Jul 20, 2009,