This might be a noob question, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

At 2:47 into this video, Jimi Hendrix starts his solo.

I know what he's playing, but not how he's playing it. Whenever I try to play it like he does, I don't have enough sustain and eventually you can't hear much of anything (it's really faint).

Any thoughts? Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Those are hammer-ons and pull-offs, which are the main components of legato playing. To get a similar effect, one would use these techniques. I'm sure you know how to navigate the searchbar, so simply type "Legato" in the bar and set the little drop thingy from "Tabs" to "Lessons". The lessons here are generally good and provide a solid background inn the basics of playing stuff like that.

Also, if you have any more questions or need something clarified, don't be afraid to ask. We'll be glad to help (some of us, anyway).
Quote by Geldin
Those are hammer-ons and pull-offs, which are the main components of legato playing. To get a similar effect, one would use these techniques. I'm sure you know how to navigate the searchbar, so simply type "Legato" in the bar and set the little drop thingy from "Tabs" to "Lessons". The lessons here are generally good and provide a solid background inn the basics of playing stuff like that.

Also, if you have any more questions or need something clarified, don't be afraid to ask. We'll be glad to help (some of us, anyway).

I'm familiar with hammer ons and pull offs, but I've never seen it done that way before. Usually the it's just hammer ons or just pull offs, but I've never seen both.

Looks like I need to check out YouTube for some "Legato Lessons"
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free
This might be a noob question, but I figured this would be the place to ask.

At 2:47 into this video, Jimi Hendrix starts his solo.

I know what he's playing, but not how he's playing it. Whenever I try to play it like he does, I don't have enough sustain and eventually you can't hear much of anything (it's really faint).

Any thoughts? Thanks

well you have to remember he has his amp quite loud and has a lot of fuzz. that would help sustain the notes. plus, if you have your amp really loud, it doesnt take much effort to make a note heard so doing hammer ons and pull offs become easier to do.