I see a lot of flamed and quilted maple topped guitars...

Does the flamed/quilted maple do anything for the tone, or just it just look cool and make it more expensive?

What other kind of tops are there?
Maple tops on mahogany (As long as it's a real amount of maple, not just a veneer), will help clear up the bass, as well as giving some high's to the tone.
I've seen rosewood, redwood, cedar, myrtlewood, I'm making a lacewood top, even ash.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Bookmatched is that mirrored look. It's purely cosmetic.
it's all coming back

Okay, so on a guitar with mahogany body and a maple top, I'll be able to (in other terms) chug some Drop C powerchords with a cleaner sound and the highs will stick out more?
Yeah, it will be more similar to playing a solid korina for example (Think Paul Gilbert's 'Fireman' and the early Gibsons), or playing a heavier, more sustaining basswood.

Although mahogany, even with the maple, might be just too much for drop c.
it's all coming back

Well I don't play too much in drop C. Lately it's been Drop Db.

I'm playing a basswood guitar right now, and it could be the pickups (crappy stock low-end Dean pickups) but usually the deeper chugging is really muddy unless my treble settings are kinda high.
What amp are you playing through?
it's all coming back

Quote by r0ckth3d34n
...Line6 Spider 3 15 Watt with a Digitech RP50 effects pedal...

Yes, that's probably my problem

yep.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Baby Joel

Although mahogany, even with the maple, might be just too much for drop c.

+1, especially with the set neck and 24.75" scale length.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Psh, I play in drop Bb standard on my 24.75".
I just have to use .013's.

Bring on the bro0talz!
it's all coming back

heh. i don't really use my edwards for anything much heavier than hard rock, things get a little indistinct even for 80s metal for my liking, and that's in E. Though I could improve things by changing the pickups, the JB isn't great with regards to muddiness in Les Pauls.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll let you know it sounds like crap though. Being drop tuned that far on a short scale...It's why I want a baritone.
The JB isn't my favorite pickup. In fact, Seymour Duncans aren't my favorite pickups. As I live in the UK (Like you), Bareknuckle and Swineshead and Rockmonkeys are much better, for nearly the same price.
it's all coming back

hahaha

agreed about the pickups. I'd happily take duncans if they came stock, as they're better than most stock pickups (at least on mid-priced guitars- of course there's no guarantee that I wouldn't replace them later), but there's no way I'd buy them at the retail price for retrofitting. Only reason I could think of for buying a Duncan here is if they made a type of pickup I needed which none of the UK makers made, like lipstick pickups or something like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My dean is a 24.75 scale.
And it sounds fine until you get to B. I'm using 10 gauge strings...

Of course the string-thru body design probably helps a lot. And the pretty long distance from nut to tuning towers.