Seriously, this is getting me down and it's annoying.

After a break of several MONTHS, my wrists have now stiffened to the point where I find it hard to play my big 5er Yamaha bass.
I've checked my technique with a teacher, and also done checks on my action, truss and even the strings to make sure it's me and not the neck which is the problem.

But it's becoming painful, to the point where I don't want to play.

Any ideas?
I say do some wrist exercises to limber them up before playing. Go to a doctor and ask for some specific exercises that would help with the flexibility. A full time drummer you say? Then there shouldn't be a problem with wrist strength. But even so, get practicing your sticking techniques (I find buzz rolls help to strengthen my wrists after a long period of not playing) to strengthen your wrists if you feel they could be any better.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Hmmm, take a month or two on a fourstring and your wrists should be able to surive I guess...

Btw I got no idea or experience with it, so don't take me for a good answer
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
Well I suppose if you warm up before you play, then I can't think of anything but to play through it. Maybe it's just that because you haven't played for several months you need to get back into the swing of things? Your wrists didn't hurt before you stopped playing did they? My advice would be to keep playing, but don't play as much as you are now, or do small little sessions of playing several times a day, so you don't risk hurting your wrists from prolonged periods of time playing. Your wrists will probably stop hurting soon anyway, but don't quote me on that, I'm no doctor, I'm just trying to use gathered knowledge and common sense.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Full time drumming's your answer I'll bet. Now there are a few ways to hold the sticks, but I'm betting yours doesn't favour the muscles you've developed and adapted for bass use.
The necks on Yamaha 5's aren't excessively wide, so I wouldn't think it's that.
Go to your doctor, and ask for a self-referral form for a physio. Fill it out as necessary, and wait for them to get back to you.
In the meantime, get a pair of silicon eggs (I got mine from Boots for a couple of quid), and just gently squeeze them 5-10 times in a minute. Do that for a few minutes 2 or 3 times a day, and it'll start to even things out again, and strengthen your carpal tunnel. Stop immediately if it starts to hurt!
Be patient with the physios - most of them are good on sports injuries and the geriatrics, so they may not quite understand musicians' issues.
Good luck.
Is it the Yamaha RBX 375?

Cuz I have one of those, and whenever I play and lean back I end up with some pain in the fretting hand.

I think it's just because of their general heavyness (and they fact they have a very hefty neck, which gives me the perfect grip though except for the weight)
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by creepingjesus73
Full time drumming's your answer I'll bet. Now there are a few ways to hold the sticks, but I'm betting yours doesn't favour the muscles you've developed and adapted for bass use.
The necks on Yamaha 5's aren't excessively wide, so I wouldn't think it's that.
Go to your doctor, and ask for a self-referral form for a physio. Fill it out as necessary, and wait for them to get back to you.
In the meantime, get a pair of silicon eggs (I got mine from Boots for a couple of quid), and just gently squeeze them 5-10 times in a minute. Do that for a few minutes 2 or 3 times a day, and it'll start to even things out again, and strengthen your carpal tunnel. Stop immediately if it starts to hurt!
Be patient with the physios - most of them are good on sports injuries and the geriatrics, so they may not quite understand musicians' issues.
Good luck.

Great answer. I agree--your drumming style may be the culprit here. My husband tended to drum from the wrists and between that and postal job it eventually lead to CTS surgery. He's doing well now and drumming daily btw, but make sure you really work on talking to your physical therapist about the way you drum and play bass. Between a recent teacher and the physical therapist, my husband was able to change his drumming style and not fall back into the habits that lead to CTS.

I went to a physio recently about my shoulder and back issues and she really helped out in how to strengthen my shoulders for playing bass and other activities.
I would just refer to your sig Fassa...

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Yes, it's my Yamaha RBX375 and I think the neck is a little too wide for me.

As for my drumming, I took lessons for this stuff and I was taught my sticking method by a professional teacher.
i stopped playing for a while after a minor wrist injury, and my right wrist stiffened up fiercely. yeah, i know it's the other hand, but i ended up doing VERY gentle stretching by very gently - can't stress this enough - pushing my my hand back just barely beyond my wrist's comfort zone but NOT till it had any pain, then did the same thing forward and then to each side. i did this 3x a day and after a week, i had a little more range of motion. after a month, i was getting close to normal and now everything is almost as good as new.
It could be the drumming, but it sounds to me like you're just not stretching, especially if it truly is a stiffness and not a pain when playing. Even if you warm up with scales it would be worth it to get a little routine in of stretches every time before you play. That will help loosen everything up that has tightened after your break from playing. It would be especially prevalent if you weren't playing for a long time and then immediately went to playing a fair amount everyday.