not at all. I play exclusively fives, and it's not a detriment at all. I personally feel strange playing a four stringer. :P You don't have to limit yourself, you can always buy a four string whe you get hte money
my old bassist had a 6 string and hes a beast. id say go for as many strings as you want
Quote by Union Jake

Long story short, 10 minutes later we were all sat there jerking off. (Our own, not each others)

Quote by Union Jake
How am i gay? I was jerking it to the women, and i didn't look at my roomates things.
no
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why do you feel limited by 4 strings?

Unfortunately for me, my music (praise and worship) means I'm playing from keyboard music, which means that I'm playing anything from low G (below the range of the B string in standard tuning) upwards. It's second nature to play these low notes now.
i can never remember the term but a 5 does obviously allows you to reach more notes without moving your hand, i noticed this last time i played one (i own a 4 instead) and it gets mentioned on here every time their is a thread on 5 or 6 string basses. why not play both?

edit: aye that be it i should really know this tbh.
Last edited by 4 strings at Jul 20, 2009,
I don't see why it would be a huge mistake. If you really feel as though you need a four string in the future, you can always pick one up down the line.

Edit: ^Economy of motion?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by 4 strings
i can never remember the term but a 5 does obviously allows you to reach more notes without moving your hand, i noticed this last time i played one (i own a 4 instead) and it gets mentioned on here every time their is a thread on 5 or 6 string basses. why not play both?

Short of using a custom tuning, it would be a waste of time playing 4 as it doesn't have the low notes needed to play praise and worship music (I need anything from low bass G upwards).
The way I see it, if you have a 5 string, you have a 5 string and a 4 string with a fancy thumbrest. The only possible limitation of the low B is slapping, but that just takes a bit of practice do cleanly.

I say go for it.

stratkat
I have my POS bass setup for BEAD, sometimes tuned GCFBb (I think that's it). I wish I had a 5 string.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's getting to the point where I feel limited by 4 strings.

Bad idea or not if I only play 5 strings?

You are making a HUGE mistake.

Actually, it doesn't really matter at all...
You can just string your 4-string bass with a set of five strings and you can play your low notes.

Personally I could care less how many strings are on your bass. And as long as you get the sound you want, you should care less too.
Last edited by enzoslashslash at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Unfortunately for me, my music (praise and worship) means I'm playing from keyboard music, which means that I'm playing anything from low G (below the range of the B string in standard tuning) upwards. It's second nature to play these low notes now.

I mostly play in that kind of environment too. Due to the fact that we have a choir and most of our music is keyboard centric (neither of which I'm thrilled about, but whatever), we play lots of things in Eb, Bb, Ab, and all sorts of fun keys that utilize a ton of lower notes. I've found that having a five string in that environment, especially with that low Eb, is a blessing indeed.

But, ultimately, it's whatever you feel comfortable playing. You can play the same music as the keyboards on a four string, it just won't go as low, so adding an extra low string is really just giving you more range. From experience in that environment, I'd say go for it, but it's really up to what you're comfortable with.
I only play 5-strings. On fretted basses, anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Why would it be a mistake to play a bass that fits your needs? Whatever you need out of the instrument should be the qualifications of playing it, not what's correct or proper.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure the standard for praise and worship music is a five or six string bass. I definitely find myself using my six string more than my Fender for when I play in church. Going down for the low D complements the piano very well.
Quote by Yawsbass
I've found that having a five string in that environment, especially with that low Eb, is a blessing indeed.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

ive just started playing... but the guy i bought mine off (4 strings) has been a muso for... 30 or 40 years.. only just got a 5er. said he cant play the 4 anymore (not very helpful, huh? :P )
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

Keep in mind bass in standard notation is written an octave above the actual note
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I can't see myself picking up a 4 string ever again (Well at least not as a main instrument). I only played 4 string for ~9 months. Got a 5string. The extended range really improved my playing. And I personally feel A LOT more comfortable with a wider fretboard. I, personally don't see what's wrong with being a 5string player exclusively. You have the same notes as a regular 4 string plus 25% more notes at any given position.
I would say: No. I play only a 5stringer and have no problems to play on a 4stringer...
...to play on a 6string-bass is something completely different
Quote by King-For-A-Day
I would say: No. I play only a 5stringer and have no problems to play on a 4stringer...
...to play on a 6string-bass is something completely different

Except it's really not.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by toyboxmonster
Hm.
I'm confused as to why it could be a mistake...
Enlighten me?

I'm guessing it's cost, and some people just find it harder to play a 5 string.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
I saw go for it. I went from 4 string to 6 and did it pretty smoothly. It might take a little bit of time to get used to the different neck size, but in no way should playing a 5 string be a bad idea.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Why would it be a mistake? Youd have the EADG strings there along with the B. If anything its a plus! More notes you can play!
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
I play praise an worship, also from keyboard music. Personally, I use it more like a chord reference sheet and make the rest up. At no point in worship should you need a ridiculously low G like you described. I hardly go lower than D (3rd fret low b) in my worship sets.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by SoftParade1967
Why would it be a mistake? Youd have the EADG strings there along with the B. If anything its a plus! More notes you can play!

+5 1/3

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
if you feel limited by 4 then you should get a 6, looks sounds feels and is better than that deformed abomination known as a 5 string = D
Quote by bass-boy-garith
if you feel limited by 4 then you should get a 6, looks sounds feels and is better than that deformed abomination known as a 5 string = D

.....huh?
i dont feel limited with my 4 string at all. i just play octaves a lot and deal with not havin that extra string. i dont think youll be hurting yourself by only playing 5 strings. you can play everything you could before on a 4 string right? haha so go for it dude.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Yeah i played for string for like six months and then moved up to a five. Theres is no negative except a broader fretboard which if you take your time to find the right bass for your preferences (might i suggest an Ibanez SR705?) and spend some time getting used to it, its really not an issue at all.

And if you really dont like the whole fifth string deal you could always set up your four string to play in BEAD and save money in the process
Quote by bass-boy-garith
i hate 5 strings cant you tell?

It just seems silly to hate five-strings but not four or sixes.
well, It's tuned the same, (in uhh, 4th's is that the name for it?). so all the shapes etc. are the same. if you're like me and think of music in term of, like scale shapes, intervals etc. rather than the notes, you should have very little trouble switching between the two.