Well latley my parents have always wondered "why i need another guitar"

"Why i need another amp" But it's hard to explain to them because they don't know the mechanics of the guitar... like the difference in sound/tone... The difference of the floyd rose and the fixed bridge..

How do you guys explain these things to non musicians???
I don't, when my parents complain I just say: "JUST BUY THAT SHYTE YOU FRACKING BUTT ORIFICIES"

that's why I have shytty gear
I had my parents try to play my old guitar and amp then I took them to guitar center and had them try to play the guitar and amp i wanted, they saw the difference even though they don't play.
Gear:
IBANEZ RG2550EX
Orange Rocker 30
Peavey Ultra Plus (lights up)
Different pickups, different woods, add up to different tone between guitars. Different finishes, different feels. etc.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

i cant. its my money they cant tell me how to spend it.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Enlighten them?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
do they have hobbies? Make an analogy to the gear they'd use for that.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
My dad understood right away why I needed a new guitar so he helped me out.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
just think of the stupid ways to get the message through. like "well ****, if you owned a pizza shop and wanted to be the best in town, would you order the mozzarella cheese, or the ****ty imitation half provalone ****?" or like "If you wanted to be a race car driver would you be able to do it with a pinto?" you know, stuff like that. always worked for me.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by MetalGuitarest
Well my parents say "we're not gunna help you get another amp because the one you got is good enough right now"

Then i try n explain and they don't get it

well... what do you parents do for a living? ask them if they could do their jobs with a computer that is 4X slower than the one they have now. liken that to your amp situation. if they still don't get it, then either they're dumb as **** or they're too broke to help you and don't wanna admit it.
Whenever the subject comes up, my friends (who aren't musicians) always say I'm an idiot and made horrible purchases when I bought my expensive guitar, and especially my amp. They just don't understand. And I sense a bit of jealousy too.

But I told my cousin about it and he worded it perfectly; any hobby that you avidly participate in is going to cost a lot of money. If you like to golf, clubs and greens fees are expensive as ****. If you like to hunt, guns, ammo, binoculars, etc. are expensive as ****. If you play video games, a console, controllers, and lots of games are expensive as ****.
Last edited by bnull24 at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by MetalGuitarest
both parents in the military

Make an analogy to their guns or whatever.
I throw myself into the sea,
Release the wave,
Let it wash over me
To face the fears, I once believed
Tears of the Dragon, for you, and for me...
Quote by MetalGuitarest

"would you be able to kill terrorists with a slingshot?"
Quote by 1337s933k
Make an analogy to their guns or whatever.

tell them, why would they fight with ****ty North Koreans when they could always have a better battle with China

I dunno, I tried
Well I'm lucky, I don't need to explain that kind of stuff. My father is a musician too so he understands that very easily...
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Quote by MetalGuitarest

"Why i need another amp" But it's hard to explain to them because they don't know the mechanics of the guitar... like the difference in sound/tone... The difference of the floyd rose and the fixed bridge..

are you wanting a floyd rose? not worth the money and the hassle. you are the example of why im not having kids, because you cant reason with them. they probably work all their lives to provide you with stuff that you dont really need but want in childish tantrums so they give in a) to get you to stfu and b) because they dont want to explain that they will have to cut back on their pension payments to buy you the unrequired ****.

having said all that i was a spoiled brat and had a lot of guitars and amps when i was a kid!
my parents are like that with my gear, and although my mum plays classical, and my dad used to play bass/organ, they still question why i need new gear.

it is nearly always my money (they bought me my first electric pack, a squire affinity plus frontman 15 watt amp and a banjo 2 christmases ago), so i dont see why it matters so much, other than they have other plans for it, like my car and running it.

however, its my money at the end of the day, and im managing pretty well in balancing my needs with my wants, for example, at the start of this year, i wanted a new car, plus costs of running it, an ibanez rg, an engl powerball stack and a larrivee acoustic guitar.

now, in july, thats been narrowed down to an orange dual terror plus 2x12 cab and a car/running costs. much more sensible and, as the orange amp gives a more mainstream sort of tone (only way i can describe it) and makes more sense to them as to why i want it.
I live in them thar hills, (country) so i compare it to guns. you could use a shot gun to kill a deer, but wouldn't you go out and buy a rifle? you could use a high power rifle to kill a rabbit, but wouldnt you want a something that wont take its entire head off? etc.
Gear:

Gibson SG
Epiphone LP
"Apocalypses Guitar"
70's Silverface Bassman Amp
Russian Bigmuff
Digitech Deathmetal Pedal
Digitech Badmonkey Pedal
Boss Tuner
my parents were like "no, we're not going to buy you another guitar," so i made one.

that showed them xD
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Oh quit whining you big baby. Try explaining to your mom why you need a statue of the Swamp Thing.

Cause it's my money, bitch.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 20, 2009,
Never had a problem with my mom, cause she knows what I mean, she doesnt play or anything but she understands, and I buy my own gear. with the exception of my 6505+ half stack which I am in the middle of paying her back for it.

However I have this problem wityh freinds that are not musical. One person will say why would you pay $1000 for a piece of wood with some strings, where as I will reply with there hobbies in example, why spend $200-$400 so much money on a stick for shooting a rubber puck? Or why spend so much money on a nice shiney dirt bike that will just get dirty, plus its just metal and plastic with 2 wheels... Then rather than agree with me or understand where I'm coming from they say... "no thats stupid"... or "its completely different"....

*shakes fist in air at memory of unenlightend people..*
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Throw the whiniest loudest bitch fit you can possibly have. They are sure to get you what you want then!
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
i dont im not spoiled, i buy my own crap spoiled kids these days jeez
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Quote by timi_hendrix
Grow up and buy your gear yourself.

I do buy my gear myself.. the only thing they bought was the amp.. just every time i say i gunna get somthing they complain
Quote by MetalGuitarest

Start with a dissertation on the physics of waves traveling on a string under tension. Supply graphs and charts explaining the relationship between mass, tension, and length, before introducing the concept of torsional stiffness and it's effect on intonation.

Next, explain how the square root of twelve is the mathematical relationships between notes in western music and the importance of this in fret positioning on the board.

Move on to an in-depth look at the relationship of a magnetic material (the string) moving in a stationary magnetic field enveloping a coil of wire. Be sure to discuss the relationship between the number of turns in the coil and it's inductance. And how inductance affects tone when driving a resistive or capacitive load.

Explain the difference between hard clipping in solid state circuits and soft clipping with vacuum tubes. Don't forget to mention the difference between odd and even harmonics as it relates to overdriven single-ended vs push-pull circuits.

Make clear the importance of speaker efficiency and the dB/watt/m rating and how that affects volume for a given amount of output power. Be sure to have an in-depth presentation ready to show them the logarithmic relationship between power and perceived volume.

When finished, ask: "Are there any questions, or are you ready to buy me the new fucking guitar and amp now?"

Hope this helps,
Good luck!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by MetalGuitarest

It's like I have a C-130 and you're asking me "Why do you need an F-16? You've already got a plane...".

I could come up with these all day...

Edit: In fact...
It's like I have a minivan and you're asking me "Why do you need a Ferrari? You've already got a car...".

It's like I have a cardboard box and you're asking me "Why do you need an apartment? You've already got shelter/a home...".
Last edited by Merman_of_83 at Jul 20, 2009,
never had that.. had the same guitar for four years.. there telling me to get a new one, but I don't have any money..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by MetalGuitarest

you DONT need all that... The one thing ive learnt in like 10 years playing is minimalism

Dont want to bring a backpack full of gear to someones house then scream OMG IVE FORGOTTEN MY COMPRESSOR PEDAL I AM NOTHING
Quote by MetalGuitarest
I do buy my gear myself.. the only thing they bought was the amp.. just every time i say i gunna get somthing they complain

**** them
it's your money you do what you want with it.
just tell them it could be worst, you could be spending your money on hookers, coke and hotel rooms.

Unless you already do that.. which is unlikely without decent gear.

Tell them with decent gear you can be in a decent band, get loads of money and have as much coke, hookers and hotel rooms as you like and they are free to join the party at any time and i'm sure you will get exactly what you want.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by Merman_of_83
It's like I have a C-130 and you're asking me "Why do you need an F-16? You've already got a plane...".

I could come up with these all day...

Edit: In fact...
It's like I have a minivan and you're asking me "Why do you need a Ferrari? You've already got a car...".

It's like I have a cardboard box and you're asking me "Why do you need an apartment? You've already got shelter/a home...".

or it's like saying "why do you need a girlfriend when you have your hand?"
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ