I want to mod my Frontman 25R pretty damn badly. I mean, it's playable, but I'm bored and I want to do something to the amp to make it sound bearable for 6 minutes of playtime. I love it because it was my first amp

Is there any type of simple/cheap mod to
1) lower the treble/high mids a bit
2) make it a bit warmer (maybe the same as above)
3) raise low mids/mids a little
4) less muddiness at high gain.

Thanks.

EDIT: That is all in the distortion channel. Cleans could be better too.. Like warmer And no, it aint the EMG's that kill the cleans..
and here's the schem: http://www.manualnguide.com/dl/10180/
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jul 20, 2009,
You know, as far as practice amps go, a 25R is pretty damn good.

I'm modding mine as well, but don't know what to change for what you want. I'm modding the Distortion channel and adding 2 paralell fx loops.
Hell yeah the frontman is awesome, but the treble hurts my ears after a few minutes of playing. I just wanna round off that treble a bit. how are you modding your amp?

I think mine is the frontman II 25R. The regular old one looks a bit different.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Silverface? Same as mine.

I always dime the treble. My Peavey Horizon is retardedly trebly though, so I have to cut it to about 3.

I was modding the clipping section. Got some really wierd results.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo?sku=480669
that one. Hell of a sale.. I bought it for $140, and theyre selling for 100. I think we have the same one if you bought yours in 05. I think I got mine around 06 or something.

And what does it mean "to dime?" Sorry for noob questions. I'm assuming it means to basically kill it (like 'scoop' mids??).

How does it sound weird? I'm curious. What diodes did you use?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Dime means max (10=dime, get it?).

Mine was made in 05, I think I also bought it in 05. I traded in a 'blown-up' 15G and only payed about 100.

Anyway, it sounds the same (harder clipping) with any doide config except stock (even flat-out removing them). It's wierd. So I think the brunt of the clipping is op-amp clipping.

It also drastically reduced volume on that channel. I can plug headphones in and have to max the volume to sound the same as my clean channel (thru phones) on 2.

Anyway, I'm far from done.

The clipping section is in the NFB, and not alot goes on there. I'm going to move it completly.

I have a schem of the 25R (blackface) if you need one. The only difference is that the Blackface 25Rs have an ext. speaker jack.

And that MF ad is a lie. They don't have footswitchable reverb. Only OD.
Raise C1 to 10nF. If that's not enough bass/mids try 22nF.

The stock input cap is cutting a bunch of bass. Kinda weird to cut a lot at the beginning like that. Better to cut in the middle in a few sections or at the end.

Btw Jim there is also a hard clipping section outside of the soft clipping section in the NFB loop. That's D1 and D2. Hard clipping is more of a distortion type tone where I think of soft clipping as overdrive, smoother, clearer.

Removing D1 and D2 might make things smoother and help the warm up the amp. Might loose a bit of girth though.
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Invader Jim
Dime means max (10=dime, get it?).

Mine was made in 05, I think I also bought it in 05. I traded in a 'blown-up' 15G and only payed about 100.

Anyway, it sounds the same (harder clipping) with any doide config except stock (even flat-out removing them). It's wierd. So I think the brunt of the clipping is op-amp clipping.

It also drastically reduced volume on that channel. I can plug headphones in and have to max the volume to sound the same as my clean channel (thru phones) on 2.

Anyway, I'm far from done.

The clipping section is in the NFB, and not alot goes on there. I'm going to move it completly.

I have a schem of the 25R (blackface) if you need one. The only difference is that the Blackface 25Rs have an ext. speaker jack.

And that MF ad is a lie. They don't have footswitchable reverb. Only OD.

hm yours isn't the one from the mf page? They have two kinds that i've seen. mine, which is that, and another one, which has a black grille cloth.

Quote by kurtlives91
Raise C1 to 10nF. If that's not enough bass/mids try 22nF.

The stock input cap is cutting a bunch of bass. Kinda weird to cut a lot at the beginning like that. Better to cut in the middle in a few sections or at the end.

Btw Jim there is also a hard clipping section outside of the soft clipping section in the NFB loop. That's D1 and D2. Hard clipping is more of a distortion type tone where I think of soft clipping as overdrive, smoother, clearer.

Removing D1 and D2 might make things smoother and help the warm up the amp. Might loose a bit of girth though.

what do you mean by 10nf and 22nf? You mean microfarad or nanofarad ? And those are caps right? And the amp is pretty damn bassy. It's really punchy, which is a huge reason why I even like the amp. So, adding some extra bass is gonna make it less shrill?

I actually found this (copy/paste):

2) Stick a .01uf cap in parallel with D1/D2 to roll off some treble at the first clipping point.

3) Stick a 68-100pf capacitor in parallel with R22, to roll off a little more treble at the second clipping point.

what would those do?

thanks.

edit: and what material caps should i buy? Pretty new at this. Radio shack has tons of cap types and voltages for the same values/
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jul 20, 2009,
REmoving all the diodes sounds the same as any non-stock configuraton, though. I played around with a bunch of different stuff and got the same thing all around.

That's why I think it's mostly op-amp clipping.

edit: Mine's silver. There are two versions. Silverface and blackface. Blackface models are the older ones.

what do you mean by 10nf and 22nf? You mean microfarad or nanofarad ? And those are caps right? And the amp is pretty damn bassy. It's really punchy, which is a huge reason why I even like the amp. So, adding some extra bass is gonna make it less shrill?

I actually found this (copy/paste):

2) Stick a .01uf cap in parallel with D1/D2 to roll off some treble at the first clipping point.

3) Stick a 68-100pf capacitor in parallel with R22, to roll off a little more treble at the second clipping point.

what would those do?

thanks.

edit: and what material caps should i buy? Pretty new at this. Radio shack has tons of cap types and voltages for the same values/
Hello?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
nano farad is right. thats all i can say though...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Invader Jim
Poly film for material, 50v rating minimum.

About the mod: Read what it says. "To roll off treble".

aight thanks, but what's the 'first clipping point' and the 'second clipping point?' I think I have an idea, but I can be way off.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Is there any type of simple/cheap mod to
1) lower the treble/high mids a bit
2) make it a bit warmer (maybe the same as above)
3) raise low mids/mids a little
4) less muddiness at high gain.

Turn the treble down and raise the bass and mids and lower the gain?
Quote by apak

AFAIK, Orange Drops are the way to go for warmth.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by kurtlives91
^Orange Drops (not Caps) are known for tight bass and clear highs, not warmth.

hm.. Sounds cool. So it's not gonna be as crazy shrill as stock? I have my treble on 2.5 and i still hear the super high highs kinda like when amps are on high gain and you hear fizz, but this is only when i play anything.. Kinda annoying. Are those ideal for destroying shrill ear-piercing highs?
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by kurtlives91
^Orange Drops (not Caps) are known for tight bass and clear highs, not warmth.

GAH! >< Big typo there, my bad. I must have gotten confused considering I was associating them with a "warmth and clarity" mod You think Mallory caps would better suit him?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
meh. :p sorry again. You know how the guy says:
Stick a .01uf cap in parallel with D1/D2 to roll off some treble at the first clipping point.
do you do it for both D1 AND D2, or either one, or both but with one cap (impossible, but might be possible and correct).

And can I use just regular 50V Pc board caps from radio shack? That's pretty much all I can get that would work. Don't want to pay the crazy postage from mouser or where ever.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102514
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062363
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103628

Like which of these three would be the best to use? And it doesn't matter which way i wire the caps right? Thanks!
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack