Page 1 of 2
This is actually a bit late, since the anniversary was yesterday (the 20th). There's no (serious) thread on it though so I thought I'd make one to commemorate what I judge to be mankinds biggest achievement. To highlight the enormity of their task and brilliance of their success, in 1969 none of the following had been invented;

- Pocket calculators
- Mobile phones
- PC's
- Floppy disks
- The walkman

Yet they managed to send 3 men to the moon. Unbelievable.

No conspiracy morons in here please.

Here's a selection of photos from the mission

The crew. From left to right: Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin.

The LEM on touchdown.

Armstrong on the lunar surface.

One of the astronauts on the surface.

THe landscape.

This is Eagle (the lunar module) with Armstrong and Aldrin on board lifting off from the surface to rendevouz with Columbia (the command module) which was piloted in orbit by Collins. Note earth in the distance.

The astronauts in quarantine upon their return, meeting President Nixon. It was feared the astronauts may have been carrying potentially dangerous microbes.

And one brilliant fact which I think is great;

Buzz Aldrin was the second man to leave the LEM to step on the surface. The guidelines stated that you had to leave the door open, and do not close it under any circumstances. When he got out of the LEM Aldrin realised this was because the outside of the door did not have a handle. If the door had shut, then they would not have been able to get back in. After stepping on the moon he even jumps back up to check it. NASA sent men to the moon but forgot to put a handle on the outside of the door.

I fully support a mars mission. To infinity...and beyond!

Do you support space exploration? Or would you rather see the moeny go to better use.
these events are going to be held with higher regard in a few hundred years once space travel and colonization is a realistic and current goal. i agree though, mars for the win. they keep talking about how they can terraform it and all this other stuff, but the faster they start, the more good it'll do us when something inevitably goes wrong here.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by BrokenBricks
these events are going to be held with higher regard in a few hundred years once space travel and colonization is a realistic and current goal.

Quote by buddyboombotz
It'd be the anniversary if it actually happened, which it didn't... Lol

Sorry, I don't understand fucking moron. Try English.
Quote by joshua122593

Why rolleyes, he's perfectly right.

D-day is held in higher regard now than it was back then, same with Dunkerk. In fact same with the Wright brothers, Newton's laws of physics, Einsteins theories of relativity - in fact just about anything.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by joshua122593

? I don't understand. There have been so many threads the last few days about moon cities and ****. If you think that it won't happen, or won't eventually become a priority, you're ignorant.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
zOmg fakee u can c teh pixlz!!!111one!11

Anyway, cool stuff. I wish I could go to the moon.
kill all humans
Quote by BrokenBricks
these events are going to be held with higher regard in a few hundred years once space travel and colonization is a realistic and current goal.

ITS ALL A ****ING CONSPIRACY!!

NEIL ARMSTRONG IS AN ALIEN, LOOK AT HIM!

But seriously, this is something to be proud of.
Going to the moon. Yet another thing that, even in the far-flung future, would benefit rich people. Screw feeding the hungry.
Quote by vash_08

You know that big piece of cheese in the sky? It's really not cheese! It's actually a big rock we call the moon. People walked on it once!
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Urgh there's already a thread on this. I did search. Maybe it didn't come up because he put 50th in the title. Oh I dunno.
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
Going to the moon. Yet another thing that, even in the far-flung future, would benefit rich people. Screw feeding the hungry.

Have you got a guitar?

Why do you have a guitar rather than giving the money to charity?
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Have you got a guitar?

Why do you have a guitar rather than giving the money to charity?

Because I like to tell other people what to do rather than doing it myself. It's much easier that way, takes a load off my mind. Not to mention that when I'm a big rock star, my music will elevate the soul and stimulate the economy, as well as spread my personal agendas, which you already know about.

In all seriousness, landing on the moon is great and all, but I (personally) would rather see that money go somewhere else in these troubled times.
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
Because I like to tell other people what to do rather than doing it myself. It's much easier that way, takes a load off my mind. Not to mention that when I'm a big rock star, my music will elevate the soul and stimulate the economy, as well as spread my personal agendas, which you already know about.

In all seriousness, landing on the moon is great and all, but I (personally) would rather see that money go somewhere else in these troubled times.

THen sell your guitar and contribute. Otherwise you're a hippocrite and can't comment at all.
Did he die?

lol

Incredible photos

DUDEDIT: ^ Calm down SpaceFa g
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
Last edited by Dudeman5000 at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Ninjamonkey767

Nasa's budget is only a teeny tiny bit of what other government endeavors are getting, and really, landing on the moon is great and all. Space exploration's the future, man.
Quote by BrokenBricks
? I don't understand. There have been so many threads the last few days about moon cities and ****. If you think that it won't happen, or won't eventually become a priority, you're ignorant.

but I think it is a momentous achievement, but since nothing like this has happened in our generation, it is taken for granted how big a deal this was.. kudos NASA and the astronauts..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
THen sell your guitar and contribute. Otherwise you're a hippocrite and can't comment at all.

Right, spending money should be oh-so polarized as such. There's no middle ground. We must indeed treat small wooden instruments and great leaps of mankind equally.

*leaves thread*
Quote by Ninjamonkey767
Right, spending money should be oh-so polarized as such. There's no middle ground. We must indeed treat small wooden instruments and great leaps of mankind equally.

*leaves thread*

Of course you should treat it equally. If you're going to moan about how the money should have gone to charity but have no issue spending freely for your own benefit then you can't really judge can you.

Edit: And it's fairly obvious you havn't left the thread. Whenever anyone says that they inevitably come in about 10 seconds later to check for replies.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

I believe they reenacted it in universal studios because JFK made his pledge and they couldnt lose face.
Quote by DaathMatal
I believe they reenacted it in universal studios because JFK made his pledge and they couldnt lose face.

I always spell it with 'hippo' in it. I know I do it, but I can't stop doing it.
Quote by DaathMatal

How does Apollo 11 turn into hippos?
I read an interesting article the other day about the psychological effects on the astronauts. It's very difficult to have all of that attention on you and then to try to cope again when it leaves. Plus you have the knowledge that the greatest thing you have ever achieved has already been done and you're not even 40. Where do you go from there?
Then there's the fact that every single conversation you have from then on will be about those few hours you spent on the moon . Aldrin found it especially hard, but his family had a history of alcoholism and depression before that anyway (His mother had in fact killed herself just 14 days before the launch).

The NASA doctors really did a good job of finding physically tough guys to go. Of the men who went on Lunar missions 3/4 are still alive and all are nearing their 80s. That's way beyond chance.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
It's an incredible achievement. Also that fact about no handle on the outer door=LOL!
Quote by Aussie_skater
everyone listen to PLOP he knows the way of the forum samurai

Quote by Seth Shadows
^PLOP = Best, username, ever.

REVOCATION FTW! 9/9/9
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I read an interesting article the other day about the psychological effects on the astronauts. It's very difficult to have all of that attention on you and then to try to cope again when it leaves. Plus you have the knowledge that the greatest thing you have ever achieved has already been done and you're not even 40. Where do you go from there?
Then there's the fact that every single conversation you have from then on will be about those few hours you spent on the moon . Aldrin found it especially hard, but his family had a history of alcoholism and depression before that anyway (His mother had in fact killed herself just 14 days before the launch).

The NASA doctors really did a good job of finding physically tough guys to go. Of the men who went on Lunar missions 3/4 are still alive and all are nearing their 80s. That's way beyond chance.

Did you watch Moonwalk One on discovery?

They showed you some of the selection process. You wouldn't believe what they did to the astronauts lol.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Yeah i think Neil Armstrong must be ****ed in the head..first guy to do something outside the only environment everything in the planet has ever known. Its not like going down the shops for a pint of milk.

I think selection from airforce was good...it must be worse being in battle than flying in space.
Last edited by DaathMatal at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

They showed you some of the selection process. You wouldn't believe what they did to the astronauts lol.

Did they...make them watch Susan Boyle?
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

I don't watch TV, and if I did we don't have discovery channel

Do they have a website?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
those who come in here and try to act all "cool" by slagging one of the greatest scientific achievements in human history seriously need to gtfo.

i love space and am pretty much for anything to do with it. i think we should learn as much as we possible could about our galaxy, not only is the information incredibly interesting if any one of you guys have read up on what we already know, but who knows one day we might make some significant discovery that might change our world forever.

it's really all fascinating stuff.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jul 20, 2009,
Just impressive that in just over sixty years we went from first flight to putting people on the moon.

Speaking of anniversaries, today marks 65 years since the July 20 plot commenced. I watched Valkyrie yesterday and if that movie is accurate then it is just remarkable that anyone could come up with such a plan.
Quote by Waterboy799
those who come in here and try to act all "cool" by slagging one of the greatest scientific achievements in human history seriously need to gtfo.

i love space and am pretty much for anything to do with it. i think we should learn as much as we possible could about our galaxy, not only is the information incredibly interesting if any one of you guys have read up on what we already know, but who knows one day we might make some significant discovery that might change our world forever.

it's really all fascinating stuff.

dont move to india then

seriously though its majorly ironic that scientific and human achievements were reached just because america wanted to get one up on the soviets. if it were not for the cold war they would never have gotten the finance to go.

what was that big experiment end of last year that was suppost to recreate the big bang...i thought they were suppost to be finding out the results of that.
From Buzz Aldrin's wikipedia page;

On September 9, 2002, filmmaker Bart Sibrel, a proponent of the Apollo moon landing hoax theory, confronted Aldrin and his granddaughter outside a Beverly Hills, California hotel. Sibrel confronted Aldrin, stating "You're the one who said you walked on the moon and you didn't" and called Aldrin "a coward and a liar". Aldrin responded at this point by punching Sibrel in the face. Beverly Hills police and the city's prosecutor declined to file charges after other witnesses reported that Sibrel had initiated physical contact.

Quote by ClaptonWannabe
From Buzz Aldrin's wikipedia page;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ez-NpFVwQw

No Jury would convict Buzz Aldrin anyway
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Page 1 of 2