Why does everybody want to "age" their instrument?

I think it's just plain sad that Fender have their "roadworn" series bullcrap.

I play a Jackson that I haven't even owned for a year and it has nicks and scratches on it because I don't know how to look after my belongings, not because I wanted it to look like a beat up piece of ****.
I always thought that guitar was supposed to be a musical instrument, not a fashion accessory.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, people don't take you seriously." - John Petrucci.

Quote by maskimx
I am really really not proud of this but there was a chubby, African American kid in my preschool, and I called him "Blacky Fatso"
Quote by windowmaker

I play a Jackson that I haven't even owned for a year and it has nicks and scratches on it because I don't know how to look after my belongings, not because I wanted it to look like a beat up piece of ****.
I always thought that guitar was supposed to be a musical instrument, not a fashion accessory.

You don't like the vintage look?
I'm sure he does, but he's saying it should come naturally by playing it for years.
I don't mind the vintage look so long as it's authentic and not done just so people can see your strat and be like WHOOOA WHAT AN OLD GUITAR YOU MUST HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR AGES AND BE REALLY GOOD AT GUITAR when in reality you actually bought a mexi strat that cost as much as a US strat just because it had a "vintage" paint job and you can't play for ****.

Most people really don't even think stuff like "his guitar is ancient, so he must have been playing it for years and years" when they see an old instrument, especcially people who don't even play guitar, they just see an old beaten up guitar and think "why don't you get a new one that doesn't look like it's older than my grandparents?".
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, people don't take you seriously." - John Petrucci.

Quote by maskimx
I am really really not proud of this but there was a chubby, African American kid in my preschool, and I called him "Blacky Fatso"
Quote by joshua122593
So I pretty much know how to age the knobs, pickguards, tremolo arm, etc. besides the pickups. I have humbuckers that look like this:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/joshua122593/pictures/gear/560496/658476

Obviously I can't leave it in a vat of tea overnight. So how can I make the humbuckers vintage-y?

Any help would be appreciated.

You could try some brown shoe polish but I would experiment first on an inconspicuous area. Maybe take the pick guard off and do the under side of the p-up to see what it would look like. You should also clean any plastic with some naptha first to get any oils off. Good luck.
This whole aging/relicing fad is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's like buying a new car, then keying the hell out of it, and ****ing up the engine a bit. Why?!?!?
Guitars:
Agile PS900 Blue Flame: SD Blackouts, TonePros TOM, Grover Locking Mini-Rotomatic Tuners.
Amps:
Peavey 5150 Head w/Bias Mod.
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by madrigal77
This whole aging/relicing fad is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's like buying a new car, then keying the hell out of it, and ****ing up the engine a bit. Why?!?!?

We all look at thing differently.

Car dont look good aged, but some guitars do. Will you say the looking at Jimmy Page LPs dont look great, they are aged and Jeff tele all beat up its amazing.

Some people will not wait 30 years for a guitar to aged, and there is a great market for it, now even G&L is doing it.

We all have our way at looking at things and other people will just never get it and that just being humans.

Nico.
Quote by nicolasrivera
We all look at thing differently.

Car dont look good aged, but some guitars do. Will you say the looking at Jimmy Page LPs dont look great, they are aged and Jeff tele all beat up its amazing.

Some people will not wait 30 years for a guitar to aged, and there is a great market for it, now even G&L is doing it.

We all have our way at looking at things and other people will just never get it and that just being humans.

Nico.

Very good post.

Don't know how you're going to relic plastic, if you had covers you could rust them and just put them on top, but bare plastic ...
Quote by pak1351
Very good post.

Don't know how you're going to relic plastic, if you had covers you could rust them and just put them on top, but bare plastic ...

There are many ways to aged plastic, it just depends on what period in time you are looking for.
The lead guitarist in my band burned the pickups, controls and pickguard of his strat. It looks like it has been dragged over diarrhea, but, seen from far, it looks like it has gone through a lot.
There's a really simple non-invasive method I'm using to age one of my guitars atm. You can use common stuff from around the house for it too, so no hardware store shopping. Basically what you do is put the guitar in a stable position, like a guitar stand preferably, grab a chair and wait. Works pretty well. The process works a little faster if you use the guitar by like playing it and stuff too!
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by windowmaker

+1

I don't see the point to it, but to each his own.

Some people on my craigslist post these "relic" guitars. Usually within the hour, a RE: post comes up saying something like"

"Damn dude, why'd you **** up your guitar like that?"

I wonder the same thing. Oh well. It's that persons guitar so I guess they could do whatever they want from it. But any wear and tear on my guitars are gonna come from me over the years.