Here are the two contenders in the battle to be my "Ebony." I keep wavering between these two. Hopefully, I'll be buying one of these in November (Black Friday Sales).

Ibanez FR1620

ESP Eclipse II Vibrato

I already have a Prestige Ibanez and I love everything about it. That's the main reason I would get the FR. But I wanted something different than my RG. I'm afraid that the FR will be very similar. On the other hand, I love Les Pauls. But I'm positive that I'll prefer the playability of the FR which will be exactly the same as the RG. The FR is also much more tonally similar to the RG than the Eclipse. I play 80s metal style music like Motley Crue, Poison, W.A.S.P., and Skid Row. Do you guys think I should stick to what I like or get something different? I have no qualms at all with my RG, I just wanted fixed bridge guitar (I know the ESP has a Bigsby but it has none of the negatives associated with trems and apparently, it improves tone and sustain). I also prefer the look of the Eclipse.
That Bigsby looks wayyyy out of place on the esp.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Just get the EC that ESP makes with a Floyd

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
The eclipse series guitar is one of the few that i can stand from esp, but thats just a personal preference. The neck was as comfy as any rg i played.

Never tried a FR before, but a fixed bridge ibanez like the pgm 301 played great.I would have chosen one over my j custom any day of the week if they still sold it
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
id go with the esp
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
dude, if u can get the eclipse, whithout a bigsby, itd would be sick
look at the 3rd guitar
its just the same only with a fixed bridge, so no dam bigsby will ruin ur ESP
and actually for that price u could get a nice LP, instead of a ESP "copy"
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
the ESP for sure. I'd kill for a Gibson Les Paul with a bigsby.
But I might just have to steal that ESP idea from you >_>

Prices?
the ESP w/o a doubt
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
I have no idea how much the Eclipse with the Bigsby will cost but the regular ones cost $1500. So I'm hoping that it's around $1600. The FR is $1300 but some sites haven't updated their prices so I might be able to get it for $1000. But I'll be getting 20% off of the Eclipse and the FR if I get it for $1300.

I should also add that I like Japanese interpretations of American guitars more than the actual American guitars. I just like the sharper edges that they use. And I like that the Bigsby transforms it from a metal guitar to one that looks a lot more classic. I'm not interested in a Gibson or a LP copy.

But please look at the situation not just which you like better. I like both of them I like the looks of the Eclipse more but the feel and playability of the FR more. But it's the exact same as my RG. So when I need to shred, I can just pick up the RG. The FR will work better as a backup guitar since it feels exactly the same as my main one. So would you pick the tried and tried and true guitar or get something different?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I have no idea how much the Eclipse with the Bigsby will cost but the regular ones cost $1500. So I'm hoping that it's around $1600. The FR is $1300 but some sites haven't updated their prices so I might be able to get it for $1000. But I'll be getting 20% off of the Eclipse and the FR if I get it for $1300.

I should also add that I like Japanese interpretations of American guitars more than the actual American guitars. I just like the sharper edges that they use. And I like that the Bigsby transforms it from a metal guitar to one that looks a lot more classic. I'm not interested in a Gibson or a LP copy.

But please look at the situation not just which you like better. I like both of them I like the looks of the Eclipse more but the feel and playability of the FR more. But it's the exact same as my RG. So when I need to shred, I can just pick up the RG. The FR will work better as a backup guitar since it feels exactly the same as my main one. So would you pick the tried and tried and true guitar or get something different?

if this is the case then get the eclipse. a hard tail rg is exactly that. an rg with a hard tail.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
My Eclipse is fairly good plays far different than my RG with the different neck radius, width, thickness, curve. You should definitely have a play of each other but I think the Eclipse may be wearing off on me ever since I got the Capa and now I dislike the shape (superstrat guy). Though switching between the two guitars is too easy and I haven't had much trouble between learning a song on one and then playing it on another.
I'm probably going to go with the FR1620. I just don't like the feel of the ESP enough for it to be my most expensive guitar...that doesn't even come with a case. I can't see myself playing the Eclipse often enough to warrant that purchase. The Eclipse has no possible chance at taking the RG's position as my favorite guitar, but the FR does.
You shouldn't even have to ask. That's a no brainer

ESP. If the Ibanez is so similar to your RG, there's no point getting it. Get the ESP
Quote by 1nSingularity

ESP. If the Ibanez is so similar to your RG, there's no point getting it. Get the ESP

+1

You should get the ESP. Like it has been mentioned before, and RG with a hardtail... is still an RG.

Looking at the picture, it really isn't any competition. Much as I like Ibanez, the ESP wins hands down.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
EsP EcLiPsE FT~!

I'd go with a fixed bridge for an Eclipse cuz FR on a lp shape just kinda ruins the whole lp idea

PS: FT = full thickness

Yeah the only FT models available are the Eclipse I which the Americans don't get so no.
Quote by 1nSingularity

It's similar but not exactly the same. FR is ash and has a fixed bridge. I considered the ESP before when I was looking for my second high end guitar. I went with the RG though because I thought felt and sounded better for what I play. Then I pretty much completely stopped playing my strat, even for the single-coil and blues tones. I don't even like 24.75" scale guitars, they just feel wrong to me but I've always wanted a LP-type guitar. Of every guitar I've ever played, the Wizard Prestige neck is my favorite. So basically, if I go with the ESP, I'm paying more money than I've ever spent before for a guitar that I won't even like as much as the one I'm currently playing. I'm also doing the band thing so a good backup that's similar isn't always a bad thing. Good decision to go with the FR1620? Or do you guys really think I should go with the Eclipse.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jul 21, 2009,
1. Bigsby trems f*ck up tuning stability. It's good for some light vibrato, but not if you are going to use it for pitching whole tones or even more.

2. Why only ibanez/ESP? If you want to spend 1500$, the world is at your feet.

3. Buy used, play for free. What i mean with that is that when you buy used and take good care of your guitar, you can play it for a couple of years and sell it for the same price you bought it. That's playing for free. If you're patient enough and take the time to wait till a beauty passes buy on the internet, you can buy guitars that are as good as new for 2/3 of the new price. Look at how stunning my 2001 SL2H is, which i bought second hand in februari 2007: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/LP_CL/pictures/gear/286058/
There's not even one tiny scratch on it.

4. Really, considder ALL instruments, not just those Ibanez and ESP's
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl