I am about to get a new guitar and I am really undecided. I have about $1400 to spend so I have come down to these 2 guitars: Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst or a Gibson SG Standard. I play rock and metal, like Guns n Roses, Van Halen, Metallica, Killswitch Engage. So what do you think, which one is best, a cheaper Les Paul or a SG?
Well if you're doing stuff like G 'N' R you need more sustaine so I would go with the Les Paul but the Les Paul Studios can be on the crap side so I would reccomend to save up a bit more and get a Standard Les Paul or a Classic Les Paul.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
The SG, but you should also try an ESP Eclipse II.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
esp
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
sg
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
If its only those two I'd go for the SG.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
forget the Gibsons man. they're not as good as they used to be, and since ur into metal you'll really enjoy ESPs and Jacksons,they have a lot better tone and feel imo than these Gibsons. with 1400 bucks you can really splurge on a good ESP or a Jackson.
I don't mean what I write in my posts.So don't argue back on it,and don't check me..Because,though I don't mean them,they are the only way I can increase my post count.
Personally, I'm an SG guy. Can't recommend it highly enough. Buy used, though. In today's economy, you'll save a few hundred bucks if you check eBay or craigslist. I paid 600 for my sg standard (heritage cherry) in almost new condition with the case. Can't beat that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Personally, I'm an SG guy. Can't recommend it highly enough. Buy used, though. In today's economy, you'll save a few hundred bucks if you check eBay or craigslist. I paid 600 for my sg standard (heritage cherry) in almost new condition with the case. Can't beat that.

+1. Although $600 is a DAMN good deal, you can still save a couple hundred. You can definitely find a SG in GREAT shape for a couple hundred less than the brand new price tag they have on em now. Gibson hiked the price from a few years ago, F that. You shouldn't have any problem finding one in the range of 700-900. You might even get lucky like sid here and get one even cheaper. Harmony-Central has them pretty frequently.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

As a Les Paul lover. I would recommend the SG before I ever bought a Studio.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by Tokai09
Well if you're doing stuff like G 'N' R you need more sustaine so I would go with the Les Paul but the Les Paul Studios can be on the crap side so I would reccomend to save up a bit more and get a Standard Les Paul or a Classic Les Paul.
weren't you just saying in another thread how you thought studios were the same as standards with lesser visual appointments?

SGs have a very different kind of tone from a les paul. Keep that in mind, although if you're planning on playing metal in a high gain rig, I doubt you'll be able to tell much of a difference soundwise...
SG out of those two...but including your options...ESP Eclipse(or viper), Tokai LP(or SG), Edwards LP(or SG), etc. Doesnt have to say GIBSON to be good....actually those^ top Gibby's for the most part if you ask me...
Last edited by musicfan1234 at Jul 20, 2009,
SG.................check out some used ones right now guitars are selling at good prices and with a Gibby You'll always get your money back.
'd rather have an SG.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.