I have a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany, and am playing through a Peavey Classic 30. I am looking for a new bridge pickup that is suitable for Classic Rock (Aerosmith and Rolling Stones) and also 80's (Guns n Roses and Iron Maiden). My burstbuck pro just doesn't have enough output. A few possibilities are...

Gibson Dirty Fingers
Dimarzio Super Distortion
Seymour Duncan (havent decided which one)
BareKnuckles (havent decided which one)

Any suggestions?
Gear:
Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Classic 30
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
Vox V847A Wahwah pedal
Dimarzio Norton

It will do everything you want and more. Great pickup.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I'd say always go boutique if you can, which would be the Bareknuckle in this case.

Burstbuckers are great pickups and i never had an issue with mine, but since they're Alnico you might want to look into getting a ceramic pickup.
duncans
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
WCR Goodwood or something. Look at their website. Or get the Iron Man, since it has the highest output.....EVER...
I support the Super Distortion.

A Gibson 498T is pretty good as well, maybe even a P-90.

I'd look in to what was recommended to me, which in this case was the DiMarzio Super Distortion/Breed combination.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
First off, you've posted this thread already in GG+A.

I suggested the WCR Godwood there and will continue to suggest either those or the American Steele set. I wholeheartedly disagree with whoever said to go with a ceramic pickup. Especially considering what kind of sounds you're after. The Godwoods are $315 a set, and are incredible pickups.

But, before you change any pickup, change the stock Gibson 300k pots to RS 500k superpots. The VM is a darker sounding guitar than your typical maple capped les paul and 500k pots will really open things up. Two of those and two 500k CTS audio taper pots for the tone and two 0.015 uF PIO caps, will make a huge difference in your tone. And total will cost around $50, make those upgrades before new pickups.

Seriously, people underrate the effect of good pots and caps. Putting in the 500k RS pots was seriously like taking a blanket off my tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by al112987
First off, you've posted this thread already in GG+A.

I suggested the WCR Godwood there and will continue to suggest either those or the American Steele set. I wholeheartedly disagree with whoever said to go with a ceramic pickup. Especially considering what kind of sounds you're after. The Godwoods are $315 a set, and are incredible pickups.

But, before you change any pickup, change the stock Gibson 300k pots to RS 500k superpots. The VM is a darker sounding guitar than your typical maple capped les paul and 500k pots will really open things up. Two of those and two 500k CTS audio taper pots for the tone and two 0.015 uF PIO caps, will make a huge difference in your tone. And total will cost around $50, make those upgrades before new pickups.

Seriously, people underrate the effect of good pots and caps. Putting in the 500k RS pots was seriously like taking a blanket off my tone.

can't say enough about the importance of good quality pots and caps. a big +1 to all of this.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
can't say enough about the importance of good quality pots and caps. a big +1 to all of this.
it's very underrated and I pretty much NEVER see it brought up on these forums. It's always "my tone is too muddy, suggest me a new pickup" or something of the sort, but it's one of those things that you really need to do to get the best out of your guitar
I think the Burstbucker Pros are closer to what those bands use than any of those pickups you mentioned. None of those bands you mentioned used high output pickups except for Iron Maiden. I think you're problem is elsewhere.
Quote by al112987
it's very underrated and I pretty much NEVER see it brought up on these forums. It's always "my tone is too muddy, suggest me a new pickup" or something of the sort, but it's one of those things that you really need to do to get the best out of your guitar

+1

Not many actually think that good quality pots and caps make a difference to the tone, when in fact, it makes a massive difference.

If you're interested in the Bare Knuckles, try for the Nailbombs or the Black Dog.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I replace the pots in all my Carvins just because the mini pots they use really choke the tone. New pots and it just sounds wonderful.
The only Duncan really worth considering in this situation is the Custom 5, it's a perfect fit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by guitarboy48
I have a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany, and am playing through a Peavey Classic 30. I am looking for a new bridge pickup that is suitable for Classic Rock (Aerosmith and Rolling Stones) and also 80's (Guns n Roses and Iron Maiden). My burstbuck pro just doesn't have enough output. A few possibilities are...

Gibson Dirty Fingers
Dimarzio Super Distortion
Seymour Duncan (havent decided which one)
BareKnuckles (havent decided which one)

Any suggestions?

The duncan JB with 500k tone and vol. pots would work well. and you should be able to get 1 for under $100 bucks. I got mine for about $70 and it rocks. I love it and it works great for classic rock, metal, or whatever. good luck hope you find what works best for you.
What exactly is a pot? If I end up upgrading my current pots to 500k, will it really be that helpful?
Gear:
Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Classic 30
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
Vox V847A Wahwah pedal
They'll already be 500k - pot is short for potentiometer, the variable resistors that sit under your tone and volume knobs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by sixstring420
The duncan JB with 500k tone and vol. pots would work well. and you should be able to get 1 for under $100 bucks. I got mine for about $70 and it rocks. I love it and it works great for classic rock, metal, or whatever. good luck hope you find what works best for you.
I'm selling my JB for $55. Why? Because it sounds like **** in les pauls.
Quote by steven seagull
They'll already be 500k - pot is short for potentiometer, the variable resistors that sit under your tone and volume knobs.
The volume pots in my Gibson were 300k, as were there pots in several other Gibson's I've measured.
Quote by al112987

Random question then.... would the pots on my JS1200 be bad then? Or I'm guessing they would be high quality since it is a high quality guitar, yes?
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by DTay47
Random question then.... would the pots on my JS1200 be bad then? Or I'm guessing they would be high quality since it is a high quality guitar, yes?
Idk what is in that guitar. But high end guitar does not always mean high end electronics. Go open up any Gibson ranging from the faded to the standard and they will have crappy Gibson pots with $0.10 ceramic disk caps. Go open up a historic or other custom shop model and they will have slightly upgraded CTS pots (though I've heard they changed recently to Bourns) with slightly better caps (the fake bees).