I've been looking at seymour duncan pickups and I am wondering what some good combos are for bridge and neck configurations. I was looking at the SH-4 JB and the SH-6 Distortion for bridge pups, but I don't know what a good neck pickup would be.
I play a lot of alice in chains, metallica/thrash stuff, and general hard rock. Im looking for something with good rythym and lead distortion. I don't know if I want active pups or not (I have to test some out), so keep it passive for the time being.
I currently play a Samick Avion through a Fender Princeton 65, but I hope to upgrade in the future to something more practical to what I play.
Any help would be appreciated.
Personally, I use the Hot Rodded set from SD and they're perfect for my style which is predominantly metal with jazz infusion. The neck pickup handles the distortion very nicely, and the bridge is perfect for jazz and could probably handle blues quite well.
JB/'59 and SH-6/ Jazz are both pretty common. For Metallica I would recommend the second one. Hey you have a Samick I started out on one of those babies, except mine was an LS-35 strat wannabe. Also why just SD? What about DiMarzio? And I wouldnt recommend actives... at all.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
JB/'59 and SH-6/ Jazz are both pretty common. For Metallica I would recommend the second one. Hey you have a Samick I started out on one of those babies, except mine was an LS-35 strat wannabe. Also why just SD? What about DiMarzio? And I wouldnt recommend actives... at all.

I've heard SD's are better and done more research on them, but I haven't ruled out dimarzio. I've heard good things about the super distortion, I also heard that some duncans are better though. And why wouldn't you recommend actives?
And Im not looking to buy currently, just speculating at this point.
Dude IMPORTANT:
Consider the wood in your guitar before buying pickups. If it's already a bright wood, SD's are kinda bright sounding pups, and will end up sounding thin. Midrange/bass heavy pups would be the way to go. If you have a dark/warm sounding wood, like in a les paul, heavy/warm sounding pups (Dimarzios tend to be exactly that) will sound boomy and terrible.
I recommend the following combos, from experience with the pups.
If you have a warm guitar go SD:JB/Jazz or JB/59
Bright guitar, Go Dimarzio ToneZone/Air Norton or Tonezone/Humbucker from Hell or Super Distortion/Air Norton.

Best Experience I've had, personally, is with Super 3/Air Norton in a Basswood guitar.
Hope that helps.
I believe my guitar is mahogany since its a les paul copy, and thats a warm sounding wood right? So brighter pickups are the way to go. Can the JB hit good pinch harmonics? or is the SH-6 a better lead pickup? And does the jazz sound good distorted or should it only be used clean, because i've heard it has excellent cleans.
Quote by Tonganation
I've heard SD's are better and done more research on them, but I haven't ruled out dimarzio. I've heard good things about the super distortion, I also heard that some duncans are better though. And why wouldn't you recommend actives?
And Im not looking to buy currently, just speculating at this point.

To me, and Im sure many UGers will agree, this is what actives are.

- Very Hot (I made sure to put the only good thing about em first)
- Sometimes Very Sterile sounding
- Have Piss poor cleans, no a D-Activator has piss poor cleans, this has worse than piss poor.
- Very Terrible Versatility, Completely useless unless you plan to play ONLY hi gain metal 100% of the time.
- Do not sound good with an SS amp.

Just actives in general for you.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut
To me, and Im sure many UGers will agree, this is what actives are.

- Very Hot
- Sometimes Very Sterile sounding
- Have Piss poor cleans, no a D-Activator has piss poor cleans, this has worse than piss poor.
-Very Terrible Versatility, Completely useless unless you plan to play ONLY hi gain metal 100% of the time.

Just actives in general for you.

Good points. I would like some variety to my playing and originallity. Everyone seems to use actives now, and they're expensive. I have yet to try some out, but do they really sound as sterile as you say? And what do you mean by hot, i've heard the term before but don't have a good understanding of it.
Quote by Tonganation
Good points. I would like some variety to my playing and originallity. Everyone seems to use actives now, and they're expensive. I have yet to try some out, but do they really sound as sterile as you say? And what do you mean by hot, i've heard the term before but don't have a good understanding of it.

What sounds sterile to me might sound beautiful to you. We're all different. When I say its hot, it means it has a very high output. If you want the Output without all the negative effects of actives I would say go for a very hot passive. DiMarzio D-Activator for instance. Or SD Invader (very dark).
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

What's wrong with your tone now that you want to change?
Also, how are you getting a thrash tone out of a Fender Princeton 65?
Quote by Ghold125

this is the most important question thus far
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Ghold125
What's wrong with your tone now that you want to change?

Truth is I'm not. I was low on cash and I needed an amp so I bought the fender used for $160 at a pawn shop. So I've just been getting by playing on that. Also, my type of sound and style changed since I got it. I've been looking at guitars and amps that could get me the sound I want, but not looking to buy for a while. I've been researching good pickups in case I want to change pickups in the future, since stock pickups aren't great for the most part, and was wondering what would be good for me.
And as far as tone goes, the problem is the amp and I know it. Not enough gain, but I can get decent amounts through my cheap washburn pedal. I know my sound can be much, much better though.
then i suggest you save your money for a better amp then, it'll be worth it in the long run, and new pick ups wont make a super big different yet
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Pickups affect tone greatly, but money wise a new amp makes more of a difference.

Go for jazz/neck, jb/bridge combo.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel