Ill start off by saying that i know that there are literally hundreds of threads made by people in similar situations. The key word is similar though. Mine seems to be somewhat unique. So after spending a considerable amount of time searching through many of those threads, i have decided to bite the bullet and make a thread of my own. Ill try to be as helpful as possible in describing my needs.

Budget- $1500

Use- Practice as well as gigs ranging from a couple hundred people to maybe 700 or so.

Sound- I am looking for a versatile amp. I have some suspicions that on my budget it may be difficult to find what I'm looking for. This has certainly proved the case so far. Essentially i want an amp that can offer at least pretty good cleans, and can offer good distortion at a number of different levels. From classic rock, to Iron Maiden style 80s metal, to chugging Numetal. I currently play in a band that plays hard rock, which sometimes pretty close to the metal end of the spectrum, and sometimes crosses the line. Either way the tones that we use tend to be pretty heavy. I play lead guitar so ill be playing solos on it as often as i will be playing chords to contribute to the rhythm section. I am also looking pretty much exclusively at tube amps at this point. I don't think i can get the tones i really want with a solid state amp.

Guitars- I will be playing two different guitars on it. A Fender American Standard Strat, and a Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX. This is also an indication of the range of music i will be playing on it.

I have been looking at a number of different amps. Iv looked at stack options as well as combos. I am open to either so long as they fall within my budget and have the power i need. These have included Mesas (such as the Express 5:50. this one apparently doesn't have quite enough gain to play metal), Marshalls (these have all just proven too expensive), and Bugeras (after doing a lot of research, i have been somewhat turned off by the reliability factor. I figured that with my budget i might be able to get something at least a bit more reliable.). From everything i have seen, i really like Mesas, and haven't completely ruled out the express 5:50. I am hoping that somebody can maybe give me their impressions of that amp with regard to what i want to use it for. I am open to any other suggestions as well and have no problem buying used, although i would like something at least somewhat recent. Probably nothing from before 2000. Thats all i can think of right now. As i said before, i understand that i might not be able to satisfy EVERYTHING i want with my budget, but i want to get as close as i can. Thanks ahead of time for the help, i know that was a bit of a read.
Last edited by specWB at Jul 20, 2009,
If you like mesas then try searching for a used mark III or mark IV. Its entirely within teh budget and are as versatile as can get
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
You might want to ask MatrixClaw about his Marshall 6100 as well.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks for all of the input. It seems like i might be going with a Mesa Mark. I was able to find multiple Mark IIIs and Mark IVs on ebay. The IVs seem to be around $1400, and the IIIs seem to be closer to $500-800. Technically the IVs do fall within my budget, but i am wondering if there is enough difference for it to be worth the extra cash. It also seems like if i went the III rout, i could afford to get the head version plus a cab. I understand that a half-stack would be overkill for what im doing now, but im wondering if it would ultimately save money in the long run to go that rout now. Thanks again for the help.
I know that its generally advisable to try amps before buying them, and i have made every attempt to do so, but its pretty difficult to do around here. There isn't a guitar center anywhere particularly close to here, and none of of the local shops really have a very broad selection so its hard to find something that really suits my needs. To be honest, i have had the most success at Best Buy in their new music section. They actually have a pretty good selection of stuff in there, and anyone is free to go and try anything they want to. But they don't have any of the things im REALLY interested in. I know its not ideal, but i find my self trying to find a new amp based on reviews, as well as watching videos on youtube or finding sound bites. As far as something like the Mesa Marks, supposedly you can get just about any tone under the sun with them. If this even close to the case it would be difficult to imagine not being able to to find a clean tone (for example) that i like. A lot of people speak very highly of them, and while i know that it comes down to personal opinion, i cant assume that im really THAT unique that i would be dissatisfied with one. I do appreciate the input though and i understand what your saying. its just difficult.
Any input on Mark III versus Mark IV? I think i will probably go with a Mark IV, but i want to make sure. Also, would the Mark IV 1X12 combo be loud enough to play the gigs i had mentioned before, in other words up to around 700 people? I assume it would be but i again, i want to make sure. Also, is there a particular purpose for which one might get a wide body combo versus a regular combo, when they are both 1X12?
Thanks.
Last edited by specWB at Jul 21, 2009,
i used to own a mark III. it had a great clean tone and also a great lead sound. it could get all the way p to 80s type gain and could do some metal with an overdrive.

also look at the mesa stiletto. i got mine for 800 and its just amazing. by itself it can do really pretty cleans, classic crunch, all the way to metal. i use an overdrive in front of it for metal tones and it sounds really good. it has sort of a whitechapelish tone, if you want some reference.

i dont have any clips of the stiletto yet, but heres one of the mark III

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbUx8LZgjs
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by specWB
Any input on Mark III versus Mark IV? I think i will probably go with a Mark IV, but i want to make sure. Also, would the Mark IV 1X12 combo be loud enough to play the gigs i had mentioned before, in other words up to around 700 people? I assume it would be but i again, i want to make sure. Also, is there a particular purpose for which one might get a wide body combo versus a regular combo, when they are both 1X12?
Thanks.

the mark iv is mutha effing loud. i cant turn it past 3 without hurting my ears. trust me its loud enough.

It all comes down to preference on the Mark III and IV. Someone people will live by the III others by the four.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I think based on what everybody has said, as well as videos iv watched (including Inanezguitarist's, thanks, it was helpful) i am going to get a Mark IV assuming the funds all work out like im hoping. Possible NAD coming soon i guess. Though im not actually sure if i will post that. I'm not convinced that many people would really care...haha. Anyway, thanks for all of the input. It was all definitely helpful in helping come to a decision.
I'd consider a Mark III over a Mark IV to be honest.

There are many different versions of it, all have loads of gain. The ones I've tried, I liked the cleans on them better than the Mark IV.

My experiences with the Mark IV:

I used to own one, the cleans were alright, but too warm and sterile for my tastes. I also had a shorthead that was rackmounted, so there was no reverb on it, the clean may become a bit less sterile with one.

R2 was completely worthless IMO. It had no balls at all and with the gain rolled back, it wasn't really that good at blues either

The lead channel is what you buy this amp for. Tight, defined, aggressive; just plain awesome. No complaints at all with this channel, but for the price it cost me, the other two channels weren't enough to warrant keeping it, when I could buy something I liked better for the same, or less.

IMO, you'd be better off with a Roadster or Road King if you can find one in your price range. Seem like they would fit your styles much better; and they're more versatile.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by specWB
Ill start off by saying that i know that there are literally hundreds of threads made by people in similar situations. The key word is similar though. Mine seems to be somewhat unique.

Not really, sorry.
I will second the suggestion for one of the older Mesa Marks. Also, a used Marshall DSL or TSL would be great as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.