Page 1 of 2
While im not big fan of Hendrix ive listened to some songs, Voodo Chile, Purple Haze. I have never had high regards as a guitarists but sure enough he was an innovated and a big inspiration to what we have now. Well i'd always hear about the "Hendrix Star Spangled Banner" and i figured it was something that he did that was pretty awesome. I hadnt listened to it until now.

Not impressed at all.

In fact i am very dissapointed in what i just heard.

Its just the star spangled banner, trill, play around with the wah and tremolo while picking all the strings. It wasnt even tastefull. I just cant wrap my head around what was so awesome about this performance. Was it a protest that he played all that noise during the anthem? Thats the only logical explanation in my mind. Because if it was an interpretation, that would warrant it be called the "Hendrix Version" i would have expected more.
You're looking at this from the wrong standpoint, and quite frankly I'm sick of hearing this argument from elitist guitarists who never consider anything more than "how difficult it is to play." This argument exists left and right.

Yes, of COURSE by todays standards Hendrix is overrated. It's been fricken 40 years, the limits of the guitar have been stretched beyond imagination; but Hendrix was the first one to make this kind of electric guitar playing the standard.

If he came around in today's music scene he'd go no where. But the fact was that Hendrix did all of this unheard of solo expression improvisation and political statements with nothing more than his iconic white strat, a wah pedal and an amplifier. And people loved it, and still do.

Reasons why Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner was and is to this day so epic:

1- It had never been done before
2- His tone from his fingers is one of the most difficult to replicate
3- He included Taps in it, pretty artistically
4- He turned it into an anti-vietnam protest
5- His guitar was thrown out of tune but it still sounded great and added to the sarcastic patriotic tone of the piece
6- He wasn't afraid to use the guitar in unorthodox ways for expression, and even included sounds of exploding bombs, planes and machine guns.

What I'm trying to say here is that you come across as incredibly shallow by seeing such an amazing performance by a legendary, iconic guitarist and you have nothing more to say than "I've seen better" after 40 years of musical evolution.

It's just plain stupid.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jul 20, 2009,
It's still great. You have to percieve beyondthe noise. He makes the sounds of bombs and screaming.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
It's because he was high as balls at the time.

Also, it was a big fuck you to the government and stuff. Or something. Apparently the hippies thought that they were protesting against something by being high...
kill all humans
Wait......................

What's the point of this thread?
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by SlinkyBlue
You're looking at this from the wrong standpoint.

That being said, it's only polite to offer him some in site into the "correct" standpoint.
Let's see you do it.

He simulated bombs falling, machine gun fire, all that the country has been through expressed through the guitar. Especially at that time nothing was like that at all. Nobody used feedback like that, nobody used the tremolo's like that. Nobody played like that. Period.

Maybe you need "sweeps" in order to be "good". In otherwords, he expressed himself in a great form. He didn't use "theory" hell. They couldn't even tab what he was playing. Let's see your bitch ass bands try to play someting like that.

Mr line 6 amp.
First of all Jimmi hardly uses any wah or tremolo picking in the song. Second of all you're an elitist prick who thinks he's cool because he's trashing Hendrix. Grow up.
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
I always thought it was great. Very iconic ya know, and just knowing it was recorded live at woodstock gives it a special personality.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Last edited by BrokenBricks at Jul 20, 2009,
Lol, your ear has bad taste. This is a fact.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by -Ru-
That being said, it's only polite to offer him some in site into the "correct" standpoint.

I just finished writing it.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by nan0
Let's see you do it.

He simulated bombs falling, machine gun fire, all that the country has been through expressed through the guitar. Especially at that time nothing was like that at all. Nobody used feedback like that, nobody used the tremolo's like that. Nobody played like that. Period.

Maybe you need "sweeps" in order to be "good". In otherwords, he expressed himself in a great form. He didn't use "theory" hell. They couldn't even tab what he was playing. Let's see your bitch ass bands try to play someting like that.

Mr line 6 amp.

are

you

kidding me?

i'll agree that no one else at the time played like that...but i'm afraid the rest of your post was just utter and absolute garbage.

he didn't simulate bombs or gunfire...i've seen that video, the noise he makes doesn't resemble anything close to a bomb or a gun. next, what he played has been tabbed....many damn times, i even have a copy of his rendition in guitar world magazine. its not hard to play his rendition of the star spangled banner....it's not difficult at all actually and if you think it is i think you need to be introduced to a whole other level of guitarists.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I don't like Hendrix either man, but don't come in here posting a thread like this people are just gonna flame you.
it's all subjective anyway. music is the art of sound, and whatever is pleasing to the ear just is. regardless of whether it's just a nice chord progression, or it's some acid head making his guitar sound like a machine gun.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
This is what you need to do right now:

1. Get high, on shrooms if available.

2. Listen to Voodoo Child, live at Woodstock.

3. Change your pants after orgasming.
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
Quote by nan0
Let's see you do it.

Mr line 6 amp.

this.

btw nan0. long liv satch (and hendrix)
It was a protest. Look at the time that it was played, long sustained notes then random chaos and bomb like effects with everyone making chaotic noise on their instruments. He was making a statement, the great anthem mixed with horrible noise and violence.
Quote by nan0
Let's see you do it.

Mr line 6 amp.

Tasteful rebuttal^

Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
First of all Jimmi hardly uses any wah or tremolo picking in the song. Second of all you're an elitist prick who thinks he's cool because he's trashing Hendrix. Grow up.

Being a dick and not actually making progress^

I personally think its somewhere between nan0's opinion and a happy accident because he was on all kinds of drugs.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
He captured the Vietnam war on the guitar in ways your sweep picking heroes couldn't even DARE accomplish.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by Waterboy799
are

you

kidding me?

i'll agree that no one else at the time played like that...but i'm afraid the rest of your post was just utter and absolute garbage.

he didn't simulate bombs or gunfire...i've seen that video, the noise he makes doesn't resemble anything close to a bomb or a gun. next, what he played has been tabbed....many damn times, i even have a copy of his rendition in guitar world magazine. its not hard to play his rendition of the star spangled banner....it's not difficult at all actually and if you think it is i think you need to be introduced to a whole other level of guitarists.

I really do despise your kind.

Do you have any sense of artistic expression at all, or do you only care about speed and technique?
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I just finished writing it.

And I agreed with at least 70% of it.
...And then I fapped to it.
I'd say both our jobs are done here.
Quote by Waterboy799
are

you

kidding me?

Are you kidding me?

What other guitarist in 1969 could even conceive of doing that? And what other guitarist at the time portrayed the troubles of a generation with a single piece, played by a single instrument?
TS, sounds like you don't listen to enough Hendrix. Its an incredible recording to say the least, very powerful. If you heard that live in 1969 you would be undeniably impressed.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I really do despise your kind.

Do you have any sense of artistic expression at all, or do you only care about speed and technique?

your ignorance astounds me. you know nothing about my musical preference or guitar style yet you seem to be able to make generalizations about both. good job.

Quote by Merman_of_83
Are you kidding me?

What other guitarist in 1969 could even conceive of doing that? And what other guitarist at the time portrayed the troubles of a generation with a single piece, played by a single instrument?

i already said i agreed with the fact that no one else at that time played like that. it's nice to know you can read.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799

your ignorance astounds me. you know nothing about my musical preference or guitar style yet you seem to be able to make generalizations about both. good job.

i already said i agreed with the fact that no one else at that time played like that. it's nice to know you can read.

And it's nice to know you can read too...especially the part in my post you didn't address about the Vietnam War and Civil Rights movement...

Don't be such a dick.
So I listened to it again after reading this, I never noticed the whole bombs falling thing.. Pretty cool stuff.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by Merman_of_83
And it's nice to know you can read too...especially the part in my post you didn't address about the Vietnam War and Civil Rights movement...

Don't be such a dick.

well, lets see

Quote by Merman_of_83
Are you kidding me?

the "troubles of a generation" is being quite vague there, and there's simply nothing to address that i didn't already state in my post. i clearly stated, no one at the time played like him, what more do you want?

and if you want to tell anyone not to be a dick, it's that nan0 kid who came off like an asshole in the first place to the TS. but you overlooked that because you two share the same opinion of course.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by Waterboy799
well, lets see

the "troubles of a generation" is being quite vague there, and there's simply nothing to address.

if you want to tell anyone not to be a dick, it's that nan0 kid who came off like an asshole in the first place to the TS. but you overlooked that because you two share the same opinion of course.

You're both dicks. There, problem solved.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Waterboy799

Oh, no i'm not making assumptions or generalizations; I'm merely pointing out that fact that you're being a complete and total douchebag. I don't have to do a thing; you've stated that you believe your taste in guitarists is "on another level" than anyone who think's Hendrix's song is impressive, you have a condescending "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude about something as subjective as MUSICAL TASTE, an incredibly closed-minded and downright arrogant view on without a doubt the most influential guitarist of the century, and last but not least lets not forget that you have the balls to call out bad taste on anyone who finds this music tasteful.

And no, I can tell you right now that all that matters to you is skill; it is not an assumption, it is an inference based on your extremely opinionated and ridiculous statements that Hendrix was not a phenomenal guitarist. If you had half a brain at all you'd admit that Hendrix puts an unmatched amount of passion, expression and feel into everything that he plays; but you'd still prefer to sit and watch Petrucci do scales like a robot without an ounce of passion on his face.

On top of all of this, you have 40 years of musical evolution and countless guitarists who looked up to Jimi and wanted to be just like him... and STILL, all you have to say it "I expected better."
-Jim Morrison
SlinkyBlue and nan0 have this thread. Everyone else, you are just saying "Well, what if you're stupid," to a kid who just explained something to a peer. It's artistic. Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever, not for his techinique, but his skill at making his guitar be what he wanted it to be, and sound like he wanted it to sound, better than anyone else.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
SlinkyBlue and nan0 have this thread. Everyone else, you are just saying "Well, what if you're stupid," to a kid who just explained something to a peer. It's artistic. Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever, not for his techinique, but his skill at making his guitar be what he wanted it to be, and sound like he wanted it to sound, better than anyone else.

wow that was perfect
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous

Pics coming soon
Quote by Pencil Man

That's a little overboard....
Christ some people in here need to chill the **** out.

Just because some one doesn't like Hendrix doesn't mean that they're an elitist or trying to be unique.

I like some Hendrix, but I really dislike the song. To be honest I think that it sounds like ****. I'm well aware that it was meant to represent things and to express some ideas and that it was innovative.

But just because it was expressive and innovative doesn't mean it was good. In fact it's almost painful to listen to sometimes. Sure it's good on some deeper allegorical level, but to listen to and just to enjoy, it's **** in my opinion.

Oh, I must think I'm a bad ass and be obsessed with technical music because I don't like Hendrix.

None of those things are true I just don't like the song, and neither does the OP, lay off of him.

Edit: I stand corrected. Some people went on the offensive a little to soon, but they turned out to be right "guitarists on another level" type bull****

Either way.. I still think that the song isn't that great and that Hendrix is over rated. Chet Atkins FTW!!
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Last edited by ifeastonbums at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by ifeastonbums

Just because some one doesn't like Hendrix doesn't mean that they're an elitist or trying to be unique.

I like some Hendrix, but I really dislike the song. To be honest I think that it sounds like ****. I'm well aware that it was meant to represent things and to express some ideas and that it was innovative.

But just because it was expressive and innovative doesn't mean it was good. In fact it's almost painful to listen to sometimes. Sure it's good on some deeper allegorical level, but to listen to and just to enjoy, it's **** in my opinion.

Oh, I must think I'm a bad ass and be obsessed with technical music because I don't like Hendrix.

None of those things are true I just don't like the song, and neither does the OP, lay off of him.

This, the song is cool, interesting, and very deep, but I don't find it very nice to listen to.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
It's Waterboy their getting at, um, I Feast On Bums? What is your username? Anyway, with the context of going from Voodoo Child, and into Purple Haze, the song sounds a whole lot better, and it makes a lot more sense, as seen in Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music.

edit: OK, maybe not better than anyone else, but he was the first to break out of the write a solo-a-song mold. And he is still one of the best after 4o years.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Last edited by Pencil Man at Jul 20, 2009,
Quote by ifeastonbums

You're missing a few things he said.

I'm not calling him out on not liking hendrix; it's quite common. Everyone has their own musical tastes of course.

However, after someone stated that Hendrix's music was full of passion and was more than just a tab... and if he doesn't like the playing, at least his presentation must be acknowledge, but no, instead he rebuttled with ridiculous claims that he needs to be introduced to more competent guitarists, in addition to his taste being awful and that Jimi is just flat out not a good guitarist.

I'm in no way calling him out on bad taste, I'm calling him out on his arrogance and his hostility.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by TunerAddict
You're both dicks. There, problem solved.

i do agreed

Quote by SlinkyBlue
Oh, no i'm not making assumptions or generalizations; I'm merely pointing out that fact that you're being a complete and total douchebag. I don't have to do a thing; you've stated that you believe your taste in guitarists is "on another level" than anyone who think's Hendrix's song is impressive, you have a condescending "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude about something as subjective as MUSICAL TASTE, an incredibly closed-minded and downright arrogant view on without a doubt the most influential guitarist of the century, and last but not least lets not forget that you have the balls to call out bad taste on anyone who finds this music tasteful.

And no, I can tell you right now that all that matters to you is skill; it is not an assumption, it is an inference based on your extremely opinionated and ridiculous statements that Hendrix was not a phenomenal guitarist.

On top of all of this, you have 40 years of musical evolution and countless guitarists who looked up to Jimi and wanted to be just like him... and STILL, all you have to say it "I expected better."

if you can find where in this thread i stated that "my taste in guitarists is "on another level" than anyone who think's Hendrix's song is impressive", that i judged the taste of anyone in this thread and that i called Hendrix's music bad, i'll allow a mod to ban me from this website for a week.

if READ what i wrote, i only stated that playing the star spangled banner his way wasn't hard and if you think it is you need to check out some guitarists who are better than hendrix...ie. on another level. there are guitarists who are better than hendrix aren't there? i mean...i hope i haven't been mistaken in thinking that there could possible be someone out there who can play better than Hendrix now...

and you talk about me being hostile, what about nan0, you don't consider his post hostile at all? oh of course not, you two share the same opinion, why would you?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Jul 20, 2009,
Page 1 of 2