Having a bit of trouble with a technique that nothing really covers on youtube for reference.

I can tremolo pick just fine, speed is good and everything. But my problem is fingering each note i want played without it playing multiple times.

Ive been using the speed kills dvd's by michael angelo batio. And many of the exercises are 3 note per string. I can play 8th notes at 100bpm on these exercises, but my right hand (picking hand) can definately move faster, im not even going half speed with my picking hand. I feel like im stuck at 100bpm on these exercises cause my fingering is too slow.

Any help will be awesome, i know i have room for speed with practice and lots of it...but i need to get my left hand flying to keep up with the right.

thanks!
Well you have to keep in mind that you're right hand is moving the same speed and your left hand is the one you want to move faster.

Try playing scales from slow to fast and then tremolo pick each note and play the scale slow to fast.
Start way slower then your maximum tempo, then slowly build up tempo.
Also, work on strengthening your left hand if you feel it's too slow. Play a lot of legato stuff that involves many notes per string, but only one picked note. There are some great exercises in one of the stickies that are great for building left hand strength. And make sure you're playing extremely cleanly (technique-wise), and without tension. Your movements should feel free and easy, not forced. Start slow and turn on a clean tone to make sure you're getting a proper clean attack on each note with equal spacing between notes. Be deadly accurate when you play slow and you'll eventually be deadly accurate when you play fast.
Practice a lot of trills and legato passages to strengthen your left hand and get used to the common fretting positions, and then practice alternate picking slowly. Make sure your right hand movement comes purely from the wrist, and don't tense your arm at all. Keep your hand relaxed, still holding the pick firmly enough. It would also help to angle the pick a bit. It's commonly angled forward, but players like Shawn Lane like to angle it backward. Whatever works for you.
You need to slow down.....tremelo picking isn't the same as really fast alt picking.

You are just picking really fast, and not controlling the amount of notes you are actually hitting...prob sounds like a big slur of notes.

You just need to slow down and work on only 3 note and 4 note per string stuff so you can accuratly pick the right amount of notes. It's called picking dynamics. Look up some Paul Gilbert videos and you will see what I mean.

I can slur notes and my metronomes limit, but I couldn't tell you him many notes I was actually hitting, but if I slow it down I can clearly pick the amount of notes I need and count along.
Quote by gsquared
Having a bit of trouble with a technique that nothing really covers on youtube for reference.

I can tremolo pick just fine, speed is good and everything. But my problem is fingering each note i want played without it playing multiple times.

Ive been using the speed kills dvd's by michael angelo batio. And many of the exercises are 3 note per string. I can play 8th notes at 100bpm on these exercises, but my right hand (picking hand) can definately move faster, im not even going half speed with my picking hand. I feel like im stuck at 100bpm on these exercises cause my fingering is too slow.

Any help will be awesome, i know i have room for speed with practice and lots of it...but i need to get my left hand flying to keep up with the right.

thanks!

If you're trying to play individual notes then that is NOT tremolo picking - i am baffled why so many people think playing fast automatically equates to tremolo picking.

Tremolo picking is a specific techinique where the whole idea is to play the same note multiple times at high speed , the aim is to create a blurred sound where the notes flow into one another, and if you move between notes there again should be no distinction, just a constant, whirring sound. Ignore it apart from those times that you specifically want that sound.

If you want to play fast then the worst thing you can do is spaz your hand at the strings and hope your right hand can keep up. How well you can tremolo pick is irrelevant when it comes to how fast you can play, despite what MAB might lead you to believe. Your right hand is not "better" than your left, they're both equally lacking because what matters is your ability to use them TOGETHER.

Playing fast comes from one thing, playing accurately. You can only learn to play something fast if you've first perfected it at a slower speed. Perfecting means being able to play it flawlessly, cleanly, in time, synchronised and using the most controlled, efficient movements possible. Once you can do that at a slow speed, once you've actually learned how to play something, then you can think about gradually speeding things up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 21, 2009,