I'm wanting to get a drum machine, and I'm thinking of getting the addictive drums program.

If I did get that, what kind of cable would I hook the computer to a speaker with, and would I use it through a PA system or a guitar amp?

And if there is a better alternative to the program that is in the same price range, what is it and what would I need to buy to support it?
You would go from the 1/8th inch Headphone jack of the computer to a standard mono 1/4 inch jack (like on your guitar cable). It would sound best through PA but could be used through a guitar amp.

Alternatively, if you can find a used SR-16 theyre a pretty awesome drum machine for the price-- I got mine for $50 bucks, and it sounds pretty great and is pretty simple to work-- the downloadable instruction manual is really well written and useful. And, you can make the footswitch to Start/Stop, switch patterns, and tap tempo for 20 bucks worth of parts at Radioshack. If anyone wants to know how to do this I can post pics and a Schem of the one I did.

Edit: another pro to a drum machine vs a computer program is portability, unless you have a laptop.
Last edited by mattocaster99 at Jul 21, 2009,
I would go with the SR 16 as well mine was 80 bucks used and is fairly easy to use and sounds good
"Guitars are toys for me, too much fun all the time."-Paul Gilbert

Homemade Mahogany Guitar with SD humbuckers
Carvin Legacy VL100 Head
Carvin Legacy 2x12 Cab with V30s
Line 6 Pod X3