Hello all,

My mp3 player from years ago recently bummed out, so I'm looking to get a new one. CNET Australia has been highly unhelpful, because some fools don't know how to write a damn review (e.g. someone reviewed something he didn't even have and hadn't even touched before and just said it "looked good").

What would you recommend as a great music player? I'm most concerned about:

1. Price (Perhaps around/below AUD$200)
2. Audio quality
3. Capacity

I don't care for video and all those other "hip" new features since I exclusively listen to music, and when at home it'll be plugged into my stereo amp to blast some tunes anyway. Also, I don't want anything from Apple, since I don't want itunes on my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by Chrois at Jul 21, 2009,
I used to have an iRiver.

I can't recommend what you SHOULD get.

But I CAN recommend that you stay the hell away from iRivers.

EDIT: Wait, now I can't remember if it was good or not... I don't think it had a lot of space...

Actually, TS, get an iRiver, but a newer model with more space. It'll be great.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Jul 21, 2009,
A turntable to play your vinyls on.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I have a Sansa Clip, pretty nice, Idk how much space you want though. Very good for just listening to music though. I bough my 4gig for 60 US dollars.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Quote by crazy8rgood
I used to have an iRiver.

I can't recommend what you SHOULD get.

But I CAN recommend that you stay the hell away from iRivers.

EDIT: Wait, now I can't remember if it was good or not... I don't think it had a lot of space...

Actually, TS, get an iRiver, but a newer model with more space. It'll be great.

This, but imagine it said with more conviction.
I have a six year old iriver and its still going strong
...In my opinion.
get an ipod. you can't go wrong with a good ol' ipod. there will be a lot of people who go "OMGZ, D0nt G3T an !p0d! deyr 0ver rateD n 3verywon has w0n! be d!ff3rent!" but in reality they have an ipod to because they recognize how great they are.
For a good, cheap MP3 player get a Creative Zen like Zugunruhe suggested. If you have any money leftover, then get some better earbuds/headphones for it. Other than that, get either an iRiver, Sansa, iPod, or Zune.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
Quote by archangels666
But I've heard good things about Creative. You might wanna get a Zen.

unless, for some reason, you need massive amounts of storage space, the creative zen is the best player on the market.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
unless, for some reason, you need massive amounts of storage space, the creative zen is the best player on the market.

When I was looking at mp3 players, it was a toss-up between a Zen and a Zune.

Went with a Zune. Can't remember why, but I'm definitely not disappointed.
Quote by archangels666
When I was looking at mp3 players, it was a toss-up between a Zen and a Zune.

Went with a Zune. Can't remember why, but I'm definitely not disappointed.

If I had enough money at the time I bought my Zen, I would've went for the Zune as well.
PSN: Chris_P_Chikin
I personally don't get the difference in the different companies.

Each product plays music that you put on it.

I've owned 2 Creatives (first one was stolen), and I've used iPods and Zunes. I haven't noticed many differences... But of course, I wasn't looking either.
i kind of really just have to say iPods...just because they are fairly cheap nowadays and they are quite reliable

im in no way an apple fanboy...but i do like itunes

so ya
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
I have an iPod, and it's fine. Slow as hell though, I know that Creatives are really good and I've heard good things about Archos.

Don't get anything under 16 gigs, though. Even if you don't have that much music now, you will inevitably go through a period when you discover a sh*t load of music that you really like that's hidden from the general consciousness (for example, a lot of electronic music flies under the Pit's radar... and there's a LOT of it out there)
I have a Zen. It's not as fancy as an Ipod Touch but its way better then just a normal Ipod. IMO. Just get a cover for it because it gets scratched.

EDIT: It also holds SD cards so you have pretty much an unlimited amount of space as long as you have an SD card to hold it.
Last edited by Ssargentslayer at Jul 21, 2009,