im writing a lead part for a new song, and the rythym guitarist says to put some arpeggios in there.

my being a mostly lead guitarist, i am not too bright as far as chord construction goes.

i have been working on it, but he says i should ask the musicians talk forum for advice.

im working in D harmonic minor, drop d tuning, and this is a metal peice. we are going for that more epic(i mean victorious, outstanding, and overall something all the metalhead girlies will cream themselves to.) dethklokish sound.

i have basic knowledge of theory, but im chord retarded past r5, rM, and rm chords

anyone got any help for me?
thanks pwrmax that would probably be helpful but my computer is too archaic to run the flash program needed to view it. tho if you know of any lesson on this site that would help i could view that
the pattern for harmonic minor is i ii* III+ iv V VI vii*

so in D harmonic minor, its D minor, Edim, F augmented, Gminor, Amajor, Bb major, C# diminished
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
you know the notes which are in a harmonic minor scale yes? (D E F G A Bb C# D)
to construct a basic chord in that key given the root note, you take the root 3rd and 5th. so for an E chord -
D E F G A Bb C# D
this is an Edim

repeat this for any chord you like and you'll have the notes for the basic arpeggio. to get 7ths etc. just count forward 7 notes from the root of that chord etc.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by doive
you know the notes which are in a harmonic minor scale yes? (D E F G A Bb C# D)
to construct a basic chord in that key given the root note, you take the root 3rd and 5th. so for an E chord -
D E F G A Bb C# D
this is an Edim

repeat this for any chord you like and you'll have the notes for the basic arpeggio. to get 7ths etc. just count forward 7 notes from the root of that chord etc.

oh so thats how it works. i thought i was all taken from the major scale in the key of c.

thank you, u answered my question perfectly