I've been looking for the most versatile single guitar I could acquire, and have come down to these two. Both can do single-coil and humbucker sounds, respectively (the C1 via split-coil, the Baja via series mode). what are people's opinions on these?
Last edited by Always-Ben at Jul 21, 2009,
Personally I like Teles so that's what I'd pick. However, the single coils probably won't be the best if you plan on playing metal.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by FloyDZeD
Personally I like Teles so that's what I'd pick. However, the single coils probably won't be the best if you plan on playing metal.

The Baja has the option to go into series mode with the two pickups.
The Tele!!!!!
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
What amp do you play through? Anyway they aren't that versatile imo a Parker would be good with a piezo and you could easily to a coil split with their humbuckers if you still want that sort of single coil tone.
I have no experience with the Baja, but I've owned a C-1 Classic, and they are really great!!! Personally, I like the blue finish the best because you get the chrome hardware with it. It's an extremely versatile guitar, especially with the split coil capability!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by azn_guitarist25
What amp do you play through? Anyway they aren't that versatile imo a Parker would be good with a piezo and you could easily to a coil split with their humbuckers if you still want that sort of single coil tone.

Crate Palomino V32.

And no thanks, I'm not a DIY guy.
Schecter guitars [mainly C-1] don't have a soul.

A lot of people, after say 2-3 years, end up playing a different guitar over them.

Go for the tele.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
^ You're argument against Schecter guitars is that they don't have a soul? Well if we want to argue like kids here...don't get the tele-- they're certified ghoul portals.

Oh and MeLodic, the Classic is neck-thru as well.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by Simsimius

A lot of people, after say 2-3 years, end up playing a different guitar over them.

Go for the tele.

That's actually a really great assessment. I've had my C-1 Hellraiser almost a year, and for the past few months I've been trying to get a hold of a Fender Jaguar; metal's not my thing, and the hellraiser sucks at anything non - distorted.

Definitely go for the Tele; the Bajas are really nice.
Quote by Simsimius

Go for the tele.

Soul comes from the player not the guitar. Do you have any soul? Or just a guitar that you think is cool?
Quote by leftyace
^ You're argument against Schecter guitars is that they don't have a soul? Well if we want to argue like kids here...don't get the tele-- they're certified ghoul portals.

Oh and MeLodic, the Classic is neck-thru as well.

Quote by IPlaySchecter
Soul comes from the player not the guitar. Do you have any soul? Or just a guitar that you think is cool?

Fanboys

I mean that there are guitars which just 'feel' great, even if not technically so.

My Fender 'feels' better then my Ibanez S, but my Ibanez is BETTER then my strat in every way.
Lots of people do this with Schecter and Ibby, such as;
Quote by RG_FANMAN
That's actually a really great assessment. I've had my C-1 Hellraiser almost a year, and for the past few months I've been trying to get a hold of a Fender Jaguar; metal's not my thing, and the hellraiser sucks at anything non - distorted.

Definitely go for the Tele; the Bajas are really nice.

After a few years, I bet you guys will be the same.
That's why I always recommend going into a shop and playing guitars.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jul 21, 2009,
The Baja teles are awesome little guitars, very nicely done with the 4 way selector and the out of phase switch but if your not into that sorta thing its not worth it as its very specialized for the out of phase selector.

But both very good guitars and i reckon you wont go wrong either way
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
teles>schecter
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Always-Ben
The Baja has the option to go into series mode with the two pickups.

yeah, but it's still not the same as a humbucker, much like the schecter's coil splits won't be the same as true single coils.

basically depends on which you need more- if you need humbuckers more go with the schecter, if you need single coils more, go with the tele.

Though after deciding which you need more, you would have several other options with guitars at a similar price with a similar spec.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Simsimius
Fanboys

I mean that there are guitars which just 'feel' great, even if not technically so.

My Fender 'feels' better then my Ibanez S, but my Ibanez is BETTER then my strat in every way.

That guy bought a Hellraiser even though he didn't like metal..what did he expect? I like to play alot of different styles and the Classic is great for that, especially because I can't afford to buy a bunch of guitars like other people. It just happened to feel great and fall into my price range as well. Sorry for liking a guitar?
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by Simsimius
Fanboys

Don't get me wrong, I love how Schecters feel: the necks are very comfortable, and you get a lot of features for the money, but I've just really changed my tastes. If I was still playing more metal and hard rock, I'd be a big Schecter fan, but since I play more alternative/indie and prog/post rock, single coil guitars are more of what I'm looking for.

Fenders on the whole are more my thing, especially Jaguars, Jazzmasters, and Teles (I've yet to try a Mustang, but they look very nice). I like how each model has it's own unique sound and vibe.

Quote by leftyace
That guy bought a Hellraiser even though he didn't like metal..what did he expect? I like to play alot of different styles and the Classic is great for that, especially because I can't afford to buy a bunch of guitars like other people. It just happened to feel great and fall into my price range as well. Sorry for liking a guitar?

You misunderstand me. I bought it a year ago when I was strictly into playing metal. The Hellraiser was originally meant to be my Drop C guitar (but I grew tired of drop c), and put it in standard, and over the past year I've changed my taste dramatically, so the EMG equipped guitar doesn't really fit the bill. I'm still fond of Schecters, especially the C-1 Plus and Classic models.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Jul 21, 2009,
I think the Shecter would be more versatile as you can use it for heavier genres (because of humbuckers) and you can use the coil split for a "lighter" sound, which you probably can't do on the tele.
Quote by leftyace

I'm not saying it's a bad guitar or compant, but a lot of people who have a choice of a metal orientated guitar and a fender/gibson/non-metal, generally prefer the non-metal guitars a few years later.

If we was comparing a Schecter and ESP, he'd be fine with both of them.

But because it's a Tele and Schecter [meaning he doesn't want to play solely metal], I'm pretty sure in a few years time he'll prefer a tele as it will 'feel' more suited.

Quote by RG_FANMAN
Don't get me wrong, I love how Schecters feel: the necks are very comfortable, and you get a lot of features for the money, but I've just really changed my tastes. If I was still playing more metal and hard rock, I'd be a big Schecter fan, but since I play more alternative/indie and prog/post rock, single coil guitars are more of what I'm looking for.

Fenders on the whole are more my thing, especially Jaguars, Jazzmasters, and Teles (I've yet to try a Mustang, but they look very nice). I like how each model has it's own unique sound and vibe.

Same with my Ibanez
I love my Ibanez - one of the best guitars I've played. I've even put a JB in the bridge and it owns.
A wonderful neck and extremely comfortable to play.
However, I got my strat as I wanted more tones - mainly cleans - that my Ibanez can't do.
I still play my Ibby for technical stuff [learning a few Paul Gilbert songs, for example], but my Strat is now my no.1 go-to guitar. It's tone feels more 'soulful' that my Ibby.
I still play them all, though.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by Simsimius

Go for the tele.

... lol, I have noticed myself that some guitars I have played feel more "alive" (for lack of a better word that isn't "soul") than others. The describing of such things should always be done in quotations though, or we're going into fantasy territory, and that's just stupid/lame in a serious discussion.

I think the main reason why people would choose a tele over a schecter comfort-wise is because tele's are a simpler design. We, as humans, tend to feel more comfortable naturally around simple and solid things. Also our commonly shared humanistic obsession with permanence tends to draw us to the most solid and sturdy object (ie. the tele in this case).
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by James13v
... lol, I have noticed myself that some guitars I have played feel more "alive" (for lack of a better word that isn't "soul") than others. The describing of such things should always be done in quotations though, or we're going into fantasy territory, and that's just stupid/lame in a serious discussion.

I think the main reason why people would choose a tele over a schecter comfort-wise is because tele's are a simpler design. We, as humans, tend to feel more comfortable naturally around simple and solid things. Also our commonly shared humanistic obsession with permanence tends to draw us to the most solid and sturdy object (ie. the tele in this case).

I like using the word 'soul'. It feels like a nice connection.
And yeah, I forgot the quotations in my original post.

The point is, a lot of people - after a few years- find that guitars like that aren't really interesting anymore, and turn to strats, LPs, teles, etc, as those guitars have more 'feel' to them.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
but a lot of people who have a choice of a metal orientated guitar and a fender/gibson/non-metal, generally prefer the non-metal guitars a few years later.

i don't think you can really say that with any certainty, though. I like my more "soulful" guitars, too, but I still play my shred and metal guitars just as much.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think you can really say that with any certainty, though. I like my more "soulful" guitars, too, but I still play my shred and metal guitars just as much.

Yeah, I think I'm talking out my arse in this thread.

I play all my guitars the same, but the metal/shred machine doesn't 'feel' like it's 'me' as much as the strat.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius

Go for the tele.

Yes, go for the Tele if you want an ugly one-trick pony that sounds and plays like a piece of crap. Get the Schecter - it plays and sounds like a dream.
Quote by Simsimius
Yeah, I think I'm talking out my arse in this thread.

I play all my guitars the same, but the metal/shred machine doesn't 'feel' like it's 'me' as much as the strat.

yeah, i know what you mean. i think the problem is that for high gain stuff and shred and the like, you actually want something that's a little sterile because if it's not, it'll just fall apart under all that gain. i know my more vintage-voiced guitars can't handle the high gain stuff any better than my high gain guitars can handle the vintage stuff (and are arguably worse, because you can always roll down the volume and tone knobs a little, which helps). Just depends on what you want, really.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i know what you mean. i think the problem is that for high gain stuff and shred and the like, you actually want something that's a little sterile because if it's not, it'll just fall apart under all that gain. i know my more vintage-voiced guitars can't handle the high gain stuff any better than my high gain guitars can handle the vintage stuff (and are arguably worse, because you can always roll down the volume and tone knobs a little, which helps). Just depends on what you want, really.

Sterile... I never looked at guitars like that. I understand everything now.

I agree, sterile metal guitars are good for one thing and one thing only, but they lack everything else
I love metal guitars [like my ibby], and they work amazing for metal, but I suppose it is 'sterile'.
That explains everything.

Quote by whencowsfart101
Yes, go for the Tele if you want an ugly one-trick pony that sounds and plays like a piece of crap. Get the Schecter - it plays and sounds like a dream.

Go away.

A tele is VERY versatile, they look very nice and probably play better then any Schecter out there.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Sterile... I never looked at guitars like that. I understand everything now.

I agree, sterile metal guitars are good for one thing and one thing only, but they lack everything else
I love metal guitars [like my ibby], and they work amazing for metal, but I suppose it is 'sterile'.
That explains everything.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like the Telecaster. (Of course, check out my avatar) The C-1 and a Tele are so opposite. Seems like a strange choice.