Page 1 of 2
Ok, the whole concept of the years counting down to the year 0 always confused me.

How do we know what year it is before the year 0, and how did they know to go down in years instead of up? I've always wanted to know this, and have yet to figure it out. I dont understand why the calender is the way it is and why we dont actually go off of some record of the first civilization.

Help me out pit?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

searchbar...like really.

EDIT: sorry TS, the thread I was thinking of was about something else with time.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Last edited by rock.freak667 at Jul 21, 2009,
You see A.D. and B.C.?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
they didn't say it was year 1 back then. we added the numerical system in later.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Searchbar dude, I saw that thread, but his was a question of what year. Mine is a question of why.

I see A.D. and B.C. I just dont get why.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

OUR calendar started according to the year of christ's birth. its not hard to figure out. before that there was another system
I get what you mean, our perception of time in years is all kajumbled up IMO.
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
christan religon.. the same people who said the world is flat. the whole universe revolves around the earth... yup thoes smart people.
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
OUR calendar started according to the year of christ's birth. its not hard to figure out. before that there was another system

Now close the damn thread.

Common sense FTL, apparently.
Well I remember reading somewhere that Christ was born in the year 4.

So the whole perception of what our years are is all ****ed up to me and I'm confused.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

How do we know what year it is before the year 0, and how did they know to go down in years instead of up? .

Help me out pit?

im pretty sure this is a troll.
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by valennic
Well I remember reading somewhere that Christ was born in the year 4.

So the whole perception of what our years are is all ****ed up to me and I'm confused.

he was born around 4 or 5 BC. The guy who tried to calculate his year of birth was slightly off.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Dammit people I understand that our calender is based off of Christs birth.

My question is why.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Sinister Waffle
the same people who said the world is flat. the whole universe revolves around the earth

those beliefs were around LOOOOONG before christianity bud. hate elsewhere, with better material.
Quote by koalabacon
im pretty sure this is a troll.

Dude I'm not a troll.

I'm not one of those morons who create threads just to piss people off.

I came here with an honest inquiry, i'm not a troll.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic

My question is why.

cause its jesus.

if YOU could walk around on water and fly and stuff, im pretty sure people would formulate the calender around you too.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

where would you put the beginning of time?

the years count down because there is no way to determine the beginning of time. they years count up because there is no way to determine the end of time. the year just happens to be the birth of christ because the Illuminati said so.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by valennic

My question is why.

because when christianity was embraced by rome (rome at the time having an empire spanning nearly the whole known globe at the time) the Roman emperor ( i forget who it was at the time of the adoption of the A.D B.C system), declared it as the standard measurement for the calendar, and all of Rome's colonies adopted the system along with them. we've just kept with it. even Wikipedia can help you out with a question this simple.
we don't know. We just have silly christians and scientists putting up numbers for the public to believe. Now we all think it is 2009. Obviously there have been more than 2009 years. I'm assuming we are starting from Jesus, but he was born before what would be 0. And I don't think anyone was keeping track of days back then. We don't know what year we are on. I think having leap years is stupid. I think stopping at exactly 24:00 every day to start over is stupid. I don;t see why we can't just go with the exact time of day. I think having daylight savings is stupid. It serves no point. It just messes everything up. I think February having less days is dumb. Why can't it have 30 days and why July and August have 31 days each and January and December 31 days, can't they lend February some?
Quote by koalabacon
cause its jesus.

if YOU could walk around on water and fly and stuff, im pretty sure people would formulate the calender around you too.

Criss Angel can walk on Water and Fly and Stuff.
Quote by valennic
Dude I'm not a troll.

read what i quoted from you.

seriously now?
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Criss Angel can walk on Water and Fly and Stuff.

pshh.

shenanigans!

jesus had a beard too.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
because when christianity was embraced by rome (rome at the time having an empire spanning nearly the whole known globe at the time) the Roman emperor ( i forget who it was at the time of the adoption of the A.D B.C system), declared it as the standard measurement for the calendar, and all of Rome's colonies adopted the system along with them. we've just kept with it. even Wikipedia can help you out with a question this simple.

Ah.

Well I dont generally use wikipedia as last time I had it tell me something about how time was related to fish. SO I came here.

Thank you, it makes sense to me now, its still dumb, but it makes sense.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by pbiggie
he was born around 4 or 5 BC. The guy who tried to calculate his year of birth was slightly off.

As I posted in the other thread:
Quote by archangels666
Astronomers have calculated that the astronomical event known as "the Star of Bethlehem" was actually Jupiter eclipsing Regulus, which happened around 4 A.D.

Silly classes in college can actually teach you some pretty interesting stuff.

I can't tell which thread is more retarded, at this point.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
we don't know. We just have silly christians and scientists putting up numbers for the public to believe. Now we all think it is 2009. Obviously there have been more than 2009 years. I'm assuming we are starting from Jesus, but he was born before what would be 0. And I don't think anyone was keeping track of days back then. We don't know what year we are on. I think having leap years is stupid. I think stopping at exactly 24:00 every day to start over is stupid. I don;t see why we can't just go with the exact time of day. I think having daylight savings is stupid. It serves no point. It just messes everything up. I think February having less days is dumb. Why can't it have 30 days and why July and August have 31 days each and January and December 31 days, can't they lend February some?

are you trolling?

A) read my post
b)leap years allow us to have an average of 365 days nearly every year, because it takes the earth 365.25 days to go around the sun
c) it takes the earth exactly 24 hours to go around the sun, so why not use a 35 hour system
d) Daylight savings keeps the most available sunlight during common waking hours. its important for farmers
e) february having less days goes according to the change of seasons.

this is way too ignorant. read a book or something.

It worries me that people don't know information like this. this kind of stuff keeps the whole world running smoothly and people are unaware of it's reasoning?
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by koalabacon
read what i quoted from you.

seriously now?

Yes I'm perfectly serious.

I didnt know how else to word it, or I would've. My bad.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

In short - Religion

But if you want to get technical, time is what you make it... a perception if you will. For e.g. I could say 20 of YOUR seconds is equal to 1 of my seconds, and that's how i see time. It's all very confusing to me
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Quote by valennic
Dude I'm not a troll.

He's 12 not a troll

But yeah, Wikipedia has all the answers you need

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Domini
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
are you trolling?

A) read my post
b)leap years allow us to have an average of 365 days nearly every year, because it takes the earth 365.25 days to go around the sun
c) it takes the earth exactly 24 hours to go around the sun, so why not use a 35 hour system
d) Daylight savings keeps the most available sunlight during common waking hours. its important for farmers

It worries me that people don't know information like this. this kind of stuff keeps the whole world running smoothly and people are unaware of it's reasoning?

Well I'd just never really bothered to care, but all of a sudden I had this irrational desire to know, and wikipedia failed me, so I came here.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
are you trolling?

A) read my post

Calm down.
Seasons never happen at the exact same time every year ya know? There is no exact start of summer locked into anything. I think it would be easier to just leave out the leap year. We use the oddest numbers to keep track of time. 60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to an hour but 24 hours to a day and 365 days to a year? It should run on a different scale. And since the year isn't exactly 365 days, why can't we change something to make it an exact number to rid of needing a leap year.

The daylight savings makes no sense. It screws everyone up. Why can't farmers just wake up an hour earlier? Then go to bed an hour later?
Years ago, different culturs had different calendars based on their beliefs. The calendar we use now was created by the Roman Catholic Church and is based on the year of Christ's birth. Jesus told his followers to spread his message, so the calendar got spread with it. As international trade spread, it was decided that everyone should have a common calendar to keep better track of the date, and the Christian calendar was chosen because Christianity was and still is the most popular religion.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by The Horror!
He's 12 not a troll

noted.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by Zaphikh
Why is this even important?

its not. time is an illusion, anyway.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
We use the oddest numbers to keep track of time. 60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to an hour but 24 hours to a day and 365 days to a year? It should run on a different scale. And since the year isn't exactly 365 days, why can't we change something to make it an exact number to rid of needing a leap year.

Oh god please, please. think of math. math is good. math can give you the answer to those questions. please pay attention in math class. if you could see me irl, you'd see i am deskpalming and facepalming at the exact same time.
Quote by Zugunruhe
its not. time is an illusion, anyway.

no it isnt. time is real.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
but 24 hours to a day and 365 days to a year? It should run on a different scale. And since the year isn't exactly 365 days, why can't we change something to make it an exact number to rid of needing a leap year.

You're right. Let's add another hour to the day, so that halfway through the year, it's dark at noon.

And let's add a few days to the year so that it snows in August.

Why the hell not?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Calm down.
Seasons never happen at the exact same time every year ya know? There is no exact start of summer locked into anything. I think it would be easier to just leave out the leap year. We use the oddest numbers to keep track of time. 60 seconds to a minute, 60 minutes to an hour but 24 hours to a day and 365 days to a year? It should run on a different scale. And since the year isn't exactly 365 days, why can't we change something to make it an exact number to rid of needing a leap year.

The daylight savings makes no sense. It screws everyone up. Why can't farmers just wake up an hour earlier? Then go to bed an hour later?

well I do know that we use the number 60 because it is an easy number to work with. There are 24 hours in a day because an hour is an hour long. If you wanted to change how many hours there are in a day, you would have to change the length of an hour. And if we changed each year to 365.25 days in a year, then new years would be at 6am, then the next new years would be at 12 pm, and so on, which would be really confusing, so it's better to just have leap years every four years.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Page 1 of 2