So apparently there are some issues with the Floyd Rose II system on my strat, or to put it more bluntly, it basically doesn't work at all. The guitar is playable treating it like a string-thru (with finetuners anyway), but the second I use the the bar, it knocks the guitar out of tune super easily, even when I barely press down. All the screws are tightened all the way. The block pieces are fine, and placed correctly. Nothing appears to be damaged or set up incorrectly. What the hell is wrong? Help please!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
How many springs does it use?

Sounds like thrs not enough tension from the springs to pull the strings back to the original pitch, either that or the other way round, too much tension.
seems like that fr need a good setup. what string gauge you use? common rule (or at least that's what i know) strings over 0.10 needs 4 springs ( with right balanced tension, of course )
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
I'm not sure what's on it because I recently bought it, but they feel like 10's, possibly 11's.. It's also tuned to D standard (they feel as tense as they should be). Are the springs, or the retainer bar going to be a bigger problem area?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
It's possible the knife edges wore down.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
I'm not sure what's on it because I recently bought it, but they feel like 10's, possibly 11's.. It's also tuned to D standard (they feel as tense as they should be). Are the springs, or the retainer bar going to be a bigger problem area?

There are two main culprits for this kind of thing:

1 - Spring/string tension isn't even

2 - Knife edges are worn.

Bearing in mind that it's a Floyd Rose II I'd say the second is kind of likely in which case you'll need to replace I (I think), to be sure you should take it to a decent guitar shop and get them to check it out and see what needs to be done.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.