do you believe that there are some situations where it's just better to use powerchords when the song is acoustic?

or do you think that it always sounds better with full chords?
Sometimes it does sound better, if you're looking for a more "rocking" upbeat acoustic song instead of a mellow acoustic ballad then I can see that happening.

And of course there's always the golden rule of music, if it sounds good then play it.
generally speaking full chords imo. but who knows?
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
case in point: tenacious d. though they may not be the most top-notch musicians, they write some pretty cool songs, musically (as well as lyrically of course).
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
depends... theres a taking back sunday acoustic song that uses pretty much just 5ths and its pretty awesome... but in general i just prefer full chords, for example i was playing where the city meets the sea on acoustic, i changed the chords from D5, E5, F#5, E5 to D,E,Fm,E without thinking really...
Quote by texzephyr
depends... theres a taking back sunday acoustic song that uses pretty much just 5ths and its pretty awesome... but in general i just prefer full chords, for example i was playing where the city meets the sea on acoustic, i changed the chords from D5, E5, F#5, E5 to D,E,Fm,E without thinking really...

It's called Slowdance on the Inside and its sooooo awesome.
no

edit: <3x0033> <022400> and such are fine, but with the standard root, fifth, octave I don't know of a circumstance that would work in an acoustic song other then as a quick transition to another chord
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Jul 26, 2009,
Layla unplugged sounds pretty great
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I think it's fine if they're used tastefully and sparingly, which is exactly how I feel about them on electric guitar, too.
There are way too many songs that just get annoying because of too many power chords.
It's exactly like when you listen to a song that's nothing but shredding--annoying.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
For playing songs where the scale is rooted in the 'harmonic minor family' I would suggest using power chords in place of the awkward augmented and diminished chords (unless you're really good).
lol guitar
It can sound cool, as long as you don't sound like a tool who can't really play acoustic guitar.
Quote by shindig864
do you believe that there are some situations where it's just better to use powerchords when the song is acoustic?

or do you think that it always sounds better with full chords?

i usually use full chords on electric too actually. what ever sounds right.
Quote by .The_Axis.
lake of fire by nirvana

Thats a cover i think

I think powerchords in acoustic songs sound fine as long as you dont overuse it. I just wrote an acoustic song with powerchords in it.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
Quote by timeconsumer09
if it sounds good, it is good.
+1. Unless of course, you have no sense of melody, rhythm, and pitch.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
+1. Unless of course, you have no sense of melody, rhythm, and pitch.

Even if someone does have no sense of melody, rhythm, or pitch, who are you to tell them that if they think something sounds "good", they are wrong? Good is subjective. Maybe I think power chords on an acoustic played in a very odd rhythm with a lot of chromaticism sounds good, and you don't. That doesn't make it sound any less good to me.
Quote by timeconsumer09
Even if someone does have no sense of melody, rhythm, or pitch, who are you to tell them that if they think something sounds "good", they are wrong? Good is subjective. Maybe I think power chords on an acoustic played in a very odd rhythm with a lot of chromaticism sounds good, and you don't. That doesn't make it sound any less good to me.
I guess you're right. I don't really feel like thinking too much right now. I probably should go to bed.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by timeconsumer09

awesome, man
Does it sound right?

Okay, cool. You don't need our justification. Just listen to the damn song and decide for yourself.
i don't know why i feel so dry
lol why not come with an electric doing power chords during an acoustic song for surprise.... play really soft with your acoustic then blast out power chord full power... lolz peoples head rock back as they reach for the volume knob it is hilarious

then play loudly with the acoustic after a little power chord solo thingy :P

power chords with acoustic sounds fine...

try a D/dudu, slide up 2 frets DUDU then move down to the A string and go DDDD then move down the neck and go DDDD

repeat then go further down the neck on the second pass through then into appegio's

sounds great on an acoustic.

better than on electric...

try doing that pattern starting with G and see how you like it :-D
works well in one of my goth songs.