Thanks to the people that helped in my last thread, your information made me avoid buying a horrible amp, and gave me some good pointers on what to look for. I found a store with a 12 month interest free deal, so I now have a bit more than $1000 to spend. I havent been to the store yet, but my dad picked up some prices from it on the way home from work.
2 guitars-
Squier Classic Vibe - $699
BC Rich Bronze Series - $499
The squier has 22 frets, the second one has 24. Originally I thought I would need 24 (Metallica solos and stuff) but Ive been thinking, could I use pinch harmonics to get the same sound? Like during the Master of Puppets solo, there are bends at the 24th fret. Could I do a pinch harmonic and do the bends further down the neck? In that case, I wouldnt need 24 frets, and I would have a larger range of guitars to chose from.

Amps -
Vox AD15VT XL - $449 http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAD15VT This one doesnt have an Xl at the end of the name, but I couldnt find anything closer.

And the VOX VT 15 - $469

Good amps? I will maybe be playing metal.
It's great to see that you've done some research on this stuff man, my first electric was a stab in the dark.

Alright man, first things first,
I'm assuming you're in Australia, yeah? Just based on the prices you quoted us.
If you are, look forward to outrageously priced instruments, hah.
Not a huge fan of bees
Last edited by Gelato at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by Gelato
It's great to see that you've done some research on this stuff man, my first electric was a stab in the dark.

Alright man, first things first,
I'm assuming you're in Australia, yeah? Just based on the prices you quoted us.
If you are, look forward to outrageously priced instruments, hah.

New Zealand, close enough. Is this quality equipment? Im not sure about the guitar, the Squier seems like a better known brand than the other one. Is the stuff about the pinch harmoncss right? I tried it on my acoustic and it seems to work. Are the amps good? They have A LOT off effects, and I like that. I can't wait to try it in the store this weekend.

EDIT: I will be using the amp for home practice 99% of the time. Maybe occasional jams with friends and very small performances. I might do the talent show at the end of the year, will it be loud enough for around 400 people?
Last edited by GoldfishMoon at Jul 21, 2009,
a squier for 700
damn the world never ceases to amaze me

theres bends on the 24 fret for master of puppets solo? I never play it like that. also you'll need a whammy bar if your thinking of playing that solo.
i would get the XL for the amp if your going to play metal and the BC rich.
nice to see someone doing some research instead of going and buying a spider or something.

no not for 400 people you'll need more wattage
Pinch harmonics aren't meant to be used as higher frets on a 22 fret guitar. So your idea won't work. Sorry...

Also, I have a BC Rich Warlock (Bronze series). It's definitely not the best guitar around, but it has served me very well as a starter guitar.
I've certainly heard the Squier name. Played a number of their guitars. Essentially, they make more affordable copies of Fender guitars. The only Classic Vibe Squier I've played was a Telecaster, and quality-wise, it wasn't bad at all. That said, I'm not too sure they'd be your best bet for playing Metal. The pickups stock would probably be a little weak for the sound you'd be looking for. That said, there's always the option of changing the pickups to something with a little more output later down the track.

The prices on this stuff looks to be about the same as what I'd be paying locally, so it isn't too bad. Since you're going into the store this weekend, you'll have the opportunity to talk to someone there, which will be helpful. Make sure you tell them exactly what you're looking for, and hopefully, they'll hopefully direct you in the right path, or at least away from the wrong one.

As for the AD15, I've heard a lot of great things about them as far as modeling amps go. Modeling amps are certainly great when it comes to getting a feel for different sounds and effects. It's just a matter of which one would sounds best, since they're all geared to cover a range of tonal options. Once again, ask the salesperson if they have any personal experience when it comes to these things. Hopefully whoever you talk to is the genuinely helpful kind, and not the type who just aims to clear stock from the floor. Be weary of these kinds.

Good luck with it man,
Just keep up the research, make sure you know exactly what you want, and enjoy the experience. I know I love picking up new gear.

Need to know anything else, just let me know!

Edit: Just read you're edit man,
whether or not the amp will be loud enough for a show with 400 people is only
relevant if the venue won't have a PA that you could mic it through.
Not a huge fan of bees
Last edited by Gelato at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by Hell_Metalist
Pinch harmonics aren't meant to be used as higher frets on a 22 fret guitar. So your idea won't work. Sorry...

Also, I have a BC Rich Warlock (Bronze series). It's definitely not the best guitar around, but it has served me very well as a starter guitar.

Why wont pinch harmonics work?
Quote by DIFTWOOD
a squier for 700
damn the world never ceases to amaze me

theres bends on the 24 fret for master of puppets solo? I never play it like that. also you'll need a whammy bar if your thinking of playing that solo.
i would get the XL for the amp if your going to play metal and the BC rich.
nice to see someone doing some research instead of going and buying a spider or something.

no not for 400 people you'll need more wattage

is 700 heaps?
And I dont hear much whammy in the MoP solo, just fast playing and bends in the middle and end.
Theoretically it's possible, but it's just not that easy. First of all, pinchharmonics are *mostly* only done on the lower frets, like up to fret 9, tops. Doing them higher will get you a really thin, screamy sound. Plus, it's pretty hard to figure out which fret to take, and where to pinch it. And then there's a matter of speed. Say you are on the 22nd fret, and you want to play one tone higher. You'd have to slide down to, say, the 7th fret, hit the exactly right pinch harmonic, and slide up again. Just too hard!
Oh, and why is the BC Rich $200 less expensive? Is it something to do with brand name or quality? I have never heard of it before....
Quote by MetalGrayFox
Theoretically it's possible, but it's just not that easy. First of all, pinchharmonics are *mostly* only done on the lower frets, like up to fret 9, tops. Doing them higher will get you a really thin, screamy sound. Plus, it's pretty hard to figure out which fret to take, and where to pinch it. And then there's a matter of speed. Say you are on the 22nd fret, and you want to play one tone higher. You'd have to slide down to, say, the 7th fret, hit the exactly right pinch harmonic, and slide up again. Just too hard!

I see the problems with it, but the thin screamy sound would probably fit in well with the solo, and its not like im playing really fast wqith pinch harmonics, just 3 bends.
Sorry for whatever amount of posts I have made in a row, but is it possible to get a whammy bar on any brand of guitar? Could I get a BC Rich with a whammy bar? It's not that important, I can survive a few years until I get a Floyd rose, but it would be nice now.
And thanks for the help so far.

EDIT: Wow, I just saw a picture of a BC Rich guitar, it is so insanely awesome, but I would look weird playing RHCP songs on it.
The Squier will be a decent enough workhorse to get you started, BC Rich bronze guitars however are downright awful. The standard Vox Valvetronix will be a great amp, the XL's are supposed to be "better" at high gain sounds but in reality they just sound kinda fizzy. YOu never get great metal sounds from small amps anyway, but what you will get is some nice, useable tones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The Squier will be a decent enough workhorse to get you started, BC Rich bronze guitars however are downright awful. The standard Vox Valvetronix will be a great amp, the XL's are supposed to be "better" at high gain sounds but in reality they just sound kinda fizzy. YOu never get great metal sounds from small amps anyway, but what you will get is some nice, useable tones.

Ok, thanks for the warning. I'm leaning towards the squier at the moment. Would I be able to get one with a whammy bar?
If it's a strat it'll have a vintage trem - don't worry about Floyd Roses for a the time being, there's nothing remotely worth getting in your price bracket.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Where you are it would be worth checking the prices of Cort X series, or even KX series. I hear they are reasonable in Aus. and eould give you better quality.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by GoldfishMoon
Ok, thanks for the warning. I'm leaning towards the squier at the moment. Would I be able to get one with a whammy bar?

Woah if you want to play metal then youre surely gonna have to go with bcrich...saying BCrich guitars are horrible is just a generalization..a squire is not going to play you metal dude...if you want metal and had to choose between thos too I'd go with the BC rich...but then again i dislike both and i suggest more research and try to look into the dean vendetta which is an amazing guitar with very hot pickups for 100USD...im not sure how that translates into your currency but it would still be very cheap
The cheap ones are crap, plain and simple.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Woah if you want to play metal then youre surely gonna have to go with bcrich...saying BCrich guitars are horrible is just a generalization..[B]a squire is not going to play you metal dude...if you want metal and had to choose between thos too I'd go with the BC rich...but then again i dislike both and i suggest more research and try to look into the dean vendetta which is an amazing guitar with very hot pickups for 100USD...im not sure how that translates into your currency but it would still be very cheap

Saying squier's don't play metal is a generalisation too an ignorant too if I must add. Anyway Mr. Seagull is correct the low end bc rich tend to be on the ****ty side of quality.
those are some horribly overpriced stuff...

i could get one of those bronze warlocks used for $50.

try ordering online for an intermediate ~$300 ibanez. RG321MH would be great if you want to play metal, but it also gives u the versatility to go into other genres.

Dont even think about buying a squier for $700 and a warlock for $500.
Quote by ShoeFactory
those are some horribly overpriced stuff...

i could get one of those bronze warlocks used for $50.

try ordering online for an intermediate ~$300 ibanez. RG321MH would be great if you want to play metal, but it also gives u the versatility to go into other genres.

Dont even think about buying a squier for $700 and a warlock for $500.

I take it you skipped over the part where the ts mentioned he was living in new zealand.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Saying squier's don't play metal is a generalisation too an ignorant too if I must add. Anyway Mr. Seagull is correct the low end bc rich tend to be on the ****ty side of quality.

saying that low-end bcrich guitars are crappy quality is just stating the obvious...the same can be said about any low-end crappy guitar..
And my comment about squire not playing metal: that statement was NOT to be taken litteral...if a boy tells me he wants to play metal im NOT going to reccomend squire thats obvious..you calling me ignorant based on advice i gave from experience shows just how arrogant you are...
anyways you should forget about bcrich and squire and look into the dean vendetta...google it and youll see tons of positive reviews on it
hey dude, i'm also a new zealander so i know all about the prices lol..
it's annoying seeing people say things on international sites such as youtube like "you can get a so and so for this much" or "don't get that it's so overpriced!"
stupid exchange rate
makes everything look real expensive here
anyway if you want a good metal guitar that is relatively cheap have a look at some ibanez guitars... they're pretty decent for metal, relatively cheap and can be quite good quality. the ibanez i own however is real ****... the pickups buzz like crazy haha
as for the vox amps... i don't think i'd go with vox for metal... to me they have a more classic/vintage sound... maybe a little more like fuzz as opposed to distortion sometimes.
good luck anyway
Quote by acesofbelkan
saying that low-end bcrich guitars are crappy quality is just stating the obvious...the same can be said about any low-end crappy guitar..
And my comment about squire not playing metal: that statement was NOT to be taken litteral...if a boy tells me he wants to play metal im NOT going to reccomend squire thats obvious..you calling me ignorant based on advice i gave from experience shows just how arrogant you are...
anyways you should forget about bcrich and squire and look into the dean vendetta...google it and youll see tons of positive reviews on it

I didn't say you were ignorant I just said your statement was ignorant big difference there mate. And no low end Caparison guitars tend to be of the higher quality same deal with ESP guitars and actually my low end SX guitar was built fairly well.
Ok. When I get to the store I'll try the ones I stated, and see if I can find an Ibanex or something. Then i'll come back here and ask for more advice once i'm done.