What would it cost to buy all the tools needed for building a guitar? I'm talking about router, some kinda saw and whatever else is needed.

I am thinking of maybe getting some tools for my birthday and practicing on scrap pine and stuff until I can afford to make my main guitar.

I don't need anything that is professional quality, just something that wont **** itself.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Jul 21, 2009,
it depends what you buy and where you buy from. It also depends if you plan on buying rough cut timber or body blanks etc from luthier sites. There's a list of tools in the resource thread that are used in building a guitar (when buying the wood machined from a luthier site)

I would write a list of tools needed, go out to bunnings and mitre 10 and any other tool shops around you and have a look at prices
Ok, I looked at the list in the sticky. How many of those things are needed. At the moment I have a palm sander and a Drill. I don't have much space so I can't really get a drill press or bandsaw. What are alternatives?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Router, rasp, spokeshave, electric sander (Random orbital is pretty good), and drill is all you really need. You said you have a drill and a sander, so that just leaves router (Try to get a plunge), rasp, and spokeshave.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
You really don't need a spokeshave for guitar building. I imagine it would be nice for neck shaping, but I've shaped a handful of necks and I've never needed or used a spokeshave for the purpose. However, I can't say enough about scrapers; those little buggers are only a few dollars and I use the HECK out of them, especially on necks. Fantastic woodworking tools.

I do all my projects with a jigsaw, router, drill press ( although you could probably get away with a heavy duty hand-held if you've got a steady hand ), and an angle grinder + sanding attachment ( but that's only if I need to carve tops ), a belt sander, a fretting caul, a rasp, a couple radius blocks, and various other files/hammers/wrenches/etc. and things. I get my planing done for free at a local wood-working shop.
I've said this before and I'll say it again:

You need to learn enough about the process that you know for yourself what tools you'll need.
Everybody works differently, and what one person deems necessary - you may be happy to do without. It all depends on how you intend to carry out each step of the build, and how much skill you have with hand tools, etc.

Learn every step that is required to make a body, decide what tool you are going to need in order to complete each of those steps. Same goes for building a neck, fretwork, etc...
Quote by Metalhead_28
I've said this before and I'll say it again:

You need to learn enough about the process that you know for yourself what tools you'll need.
Everybody works differently, and what one person deems necessary - you may be happy to do without. It all depends on how you intend to carry out each step of the build, and how much skill you have with hand tools, etc.

I agree with you. Personally, I do without a lot of ''essential'' tools. I don't have a planer, yet, and I don't own a good band saw. To make my guitars, I use a router, fret saw (Japanese pull saw), drill, radius block, spokeshave, and files mainly. Oh, and a jillion clamps.

I like my hand tools. I'd rather use scrapers and planes than trying to get things done quick with tons of router jigs. I try to take my time sometimes, so I don't mess something up so bad that I can't fix it.
It all depends on what you want to build I think. You can buy parts, bodies, etc., and bolt them together. Neck making, fretting tools are costly, and the learning curve takes time. If you think you'll save money by building your own, you won't.
I enjoy restoring Ebay "project" archtop guitars, building electric cigar box guitars, and have only a small drill press, table scroll saw, and a few hand tools to get me by.
Books like Constructing a Solid-Body Guitar by R.Siminoff, or the Guitar Player Repair Guide by D Erlewine will educate you so you'll know what you're doing before you throw shinny parts together, or end up with a box of parts under the bed for 20 years like I did.
Start with an easy project, don't build a 3 pickup multiknobbed electronic puzzle the first time out. Go with one pickup, and learn how to solder first.
Learn how to set up a guitar too. If you can't play it, why build it? Good luck mate.
Well I built one in 09 a kit from StewMac (Dreddy) I have a complete costing.
I started with ZERO woodworking knowledge. & also zero woodworking tools.
So I thought I'd cost everything that i used right down to the glues & the pieces i bought to make my own 'spool' clamps.

It isnt real hard if you have reasonable hand skills & the most necessary tool without a doubt is your brain as you are covering new ground all the time & need to understand the concepts before continuing.

Here's my 09 drednaught (set up but before the paint)

Out of all the stuff people tell you I found the most important thing i did right was to take my time & completely understand each concept before going anywhere near tools glue or timber
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
reported for necro bump.

Everyone else:
DO NOT post in this thread. It is reported.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Last edited by metalwarrior40 at Jan 23, 2010,
Bobby wtf ?? is a necro bump??
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
When you bump a really old thread, which is against the rules
Look at the post before yours:
07-21-2009, 03:35 PM

This is 6 months old.

I understand you were just giving input, but give it to the threads that are active, not ones that are 6 months old.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.