Hey guys, around 5 months ago I came here in search of advice regarding getting an amp, I had a 10w practise amp by some small company that was actually better than my Line 6 Spider Jam 75w looking back at things... which is disturbing considering the huge price difference between the two!

Anyway, I'm sick and tired of this flat, lifeless sound that I get out of my amp - I refuse to call it a tone because it's just so dull! It hasn't got any of then guttsy, sexy sound that I always imagined.

Budget: (£170 ish) + (£100) = £270 (aprox)

So, I should be able to get around £170 ish for the amp (trade in)

Place of playing: 90% my room, so I don't need a huge deafening amp however I do want the best quality amp I can get.

10% jamming with friends on a Saturday (they have line 6 III 30w and some amp I've never seen that is about 10w... and I thought the 75w spider sounded crap...)

Gear:

Epiphone SG-400

I play: Linkin Park, Rammstein, Nickleback, Sum 41, Blink 182, Godsmack, Green Day, Shine Down, Rise Against, Three Days Grace, System of A Down, Papa Roach, Disturbed, Korn, Queen

Even though some of these are a fair bit distorted etc I'd much prefer the best possible clean tones as possible as I can always buy distortion pedals etc to modify this sound - am I right in saying that?

I'm willing to consider tube amps as they seem to sound much better to my ear, even if they can apparently be a pain in the ass + costly to upkeep.

Let me know if I've forgot to put any helpfull info in and I'll fill you in

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Namyr at Jul 21, 2009,
Do you play with a drummer?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
crate maybe. they aren't bad. and vox as always. maybe fender, but they break up more under distortion, they do better with natural overdrive
If you're just playing in the bedroom save up an extra £30 and get the Blackstar HT-5 combo. It will cover most of your bases easily and is pretty high gain for a 5w amp, never mind that it will also be louder than you expect.
Quote by Daire
new guitar perhaps?lol

That's got a lot less to do with tone than you think, but then coming from a guy with a guitar that costs about £550 that plays into a £100 amp what would you expect?

In any case, the G-400 is a solid guitar.
demitriv - I will be playing with a drummer as soon as the drummers drum kit arrives (month or so)

Daire - What is wrong with the guitar?

Chaosinborn - I agree a bit but this amp is terrible, it's not fun to play through at all which is slowly killing my passion for guitar
I have an original Line 6 spider 112 and I love it.

I know that they are frowned upon in the guitar world, but this amp gives me a natural distortion no pedal or amp can do for under £800. The cleans are pretty good too.

Plus, I do a lot of recording, and Line 6 stuff is brilliant for that.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
If you play with a drummer, you need an amp with a high capacity, 15 watt amps wont work out (at least for me...).
Peavey's good amps are a bit expensive, but if you have a budget for one (that has good impressions), go for it, otherwise you should try crate.
here's your problem. You need to sit down with that spider and build your tones from the ground up. Start with the amp model, then how much drive/gain you want, then you tune your eq (bass,mid,treb). Now set up your effects, re tune the eq accordingly, and bada bing, you have your tone. These line 6 amplifiers have virtually unlimited capabilities, you just need to sit there for a few hours tuning the parameters to your preference. I'm a touring musician, and all i use are line 6 spider II heads and cabinets. I'm using eminence man'o'war speakers in both my stacks. Although I play death metal in my band, I use these same amps to recreate hundreds of iconic sounds when i'm jamming at home. No, they're not perfect reproductions, but it will fool an untrained ear, which is who you play to most of the time, and a good part of that is due to the speakers, as they have a natural tendency to muffle a little bit on a clean channel. I'm also using an ISP Vector SL guitar subwoofer as well. The moral of this big rant is that me, my guitar tech, the other guitarist in my band, and even my bass player all turn to line 6 for our amplification, and it's never disappointed us, our audience, or anyone else for that matter. The presets that come with them are junk, you need to go through one step at a time, and create YOUR sound with it. It can be done, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new amp.
Quote by sykryk

I know that they are frowned upon in the guitar world, but this amp gives me a natural distortion no pedal or amp can do for under £800. The cleans are pretty good too.

Sigged, for the most epic of fails.
Quote by dustinp
here's your problem. You need to sit down with that spider and build your tones from the ground up. Start with the amp model, then how much drive/gain you want, then you tune your eq (bass,mid,treb). Now set up your effects, re tune the eq accordingly, and bada bing, you have your tone. These line 6 amplifiers have virtually unlimited capabilities, you just need to sit there for a few hours tuning the parameters to your preference. I'm a touring musician, and all i use are line 6 spider II heads and cabinets. I'm using eminence man'o'war speakers in both my stacks. Although I play death metal in my band, I use these same amps to recreate hundreds of iconic sounds when i'm jamming at home. No, they're not perfect reproductions, but it will fool an untrained ear, which is who you play to most of the time, and a good part of that is due to the speakers, as they have a natural tendency to muffle a little bit on a clean channel. I'm also using an ISP Vector SL guitar subwoofer as well. The moral of this big rant is that me, my guitar tech, the other guitarist in my band, and even my bass player all turn to line 6 for our amplification, and it's never disappointed us, our audience, or anyone else for that matter. The presets that come with them are junk, you need to go through one step at a time, and create YOUR sound with it. It can be done, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new amp.

Knowledgeable post is knowledgeable. An EQ pedal might also aid in your tone shaping.

Other than that, the only real good Spider amp in my opinion is the Spider Valve. It's pretty overpriced and still that has cursed digital sound but it really has the better tone of the Spider series.

I'd recommend a Peavey Valveking 112, loud enough to be heard over a drummer yet low enough to practice with (to an extent, I believe the amp has a A/B channel setting which lowers the amp down a bit but I'm not sure if it does much). Over time if you get a speaker change, the amp really shines, but even stock it's great.

If you want some decent effects and possibly the greatest footswitch EVUH MAID, then go Vypyr.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Last edited by TheJem at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by sykryk

Man this is epic, why did i ever buy my 5150, my laney GH50L or even bother looking at a marshall jmp or jvm.
On a productive note for this thread, i know what you mean. Line 6 tone is flat as it gets for me, you can get good tones out of it but it requires time to sit down and toggle every option. Best thing i found with the podxt is the option to share patches, downloaded some good ones from the sevenstring.org patch library.
Quote by sykryk

...And the Oscar for the biggest failing in History goes to..... Sykryk!!! Congradulations mate you're number 1!!!

you can get a vox ac15 for 800 and spend the rest on something else and get waaaay better tones.

Just stay away from Line6 unless it's a Vetta or Flextone, the spider is just a waste of plastic.