So, I've been writing songs for a fair while now, lyrics are really easy for me and I think some of them are fairly unique...
As for the actual music writing part, I'm pretty limited.

First time I done it, I done the typical Helloween metal thing with power chords and the root muted over and over a progression.
Once it came to the solo I'd basically just look at what chord was playing over top, start on the root note somewhere and just shred about with notes that are in key with whatever scale I could be bothered to use.
Throw in some half assed 2 string arpeggios and some tapping phrases and I'd finish my song.

It actually sounded decent, but every other song I'd try after that was basically the same song rhythm wise but with different chords and notes for a solo.
I start with an idea in my head, start doing it but I have no control over what I want to do, i find myself just being forced into using certain notes because theory dictates so. I have zero control over reaching what was in my head.

Because of this I just become frustrated and usually just give up on the WIP song, that's why after a year and a half of writing, I only have 2 songs (LMAO).

I'm expanding my theory knowledge so I'm not scared to explore, but I still need advice on what to focus on.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Sounds like you need to listen to some more progressive music.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Listen to what your mind wants, let your mind guide what your fingers do, try singing a beat that you have in your mind and go from there, when i write stuff I dont bother looking at much theory stuff, I find it gives me bounderies that I dont like
Quote by LordPino
Sounds like you need to listen to some more progressive music.

Any recommendations?
I listen to lots of music and I normally try to draw ideas from it, but it ends up as a bit of a ripoff really, like stealing part of the melody.

Quote by wesselbindt
Theory doesn't dictate, it explains.

Yeah I know what you mean, but with solos I just stay within my scales and only use the notes from them, I can't expand out of 'the box' (i don't mean box shapes, but rather notes not in the scale)

Quote by flamedragon88
Listen to what your mind wants, let your mind guide what your fingers do, try singing a beat that you have in your mind and go from there, when i write stuff I dont bother looking at much theory stuff, I find it gives me bounderies that I dont like

That's what I feel like, the theory is restricting me to select notes.
I try streaming the ideas from my mind like you say but inevitably hit a block and turn to theory for help on what next, but then I'm brought back to square 1
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Last edited by Solid S/hit at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by Solid S/hit
Yeah I know what you mean, but with solos I just stay within my scales and only use the notes from them, I can't expand out of 'the box' (i don't mean box shapes, but rather notes not in the scale)

Then try... expanding. There's no other way than to just do it. Next time you're playing, experiment. Throw in a b6 or a #2. Anything. It might sound cool, it might sound bad, but if you don't experiment, you're going to be stuck in scales forever. Theory doesn't make you stay in one scale, you make yourself stay in one scale.
I found you just have to get past that wall, and if all else fails another you thing you could do is listen to some of your inpirations for ideas, find a song or something that sounds something like you are trying to make, look at what they are doing and go from there, dont copy what they are doing but use it as a guide, whenever I do that I always come out with something sick, and it dosnt even sound like where I got the idea from.
Quote by Solid S/hit
Any recommendations?
I listen to lots of music and I normally try to draw ideas from it, but it ends up as a bit of a ripoff really, like stealing part of the melody.

Not a progressive music expert myself, but I'd try Opeth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxaFANthouM&feature=related), Dream Theater and Pink Floyd.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Solid S/hit
Any recommendations?

then why don’t you read up on chromatic accidentals or analyse chromatic runs in songs that sound good and see why they sound good.

if you are playing over a power chord, because its only the root and the fifth, there can be movement in the 3rd (amongst others) seeing that a power chord is major nor minor.

you could also try soloing over chords, using chord fragments that work over a specific chord and then link them up as smoothly as possible.

and im sure you know of blues music using a major chord progression and then soloing over it with the minor pentatonic.

there was some other stuff i was going to say but ive momentarily forgotten.
Quote by Solid S/hit
First time I done it, I done the typical Helloween metal thing with power chords and the root muted over and over a progression.
Once it came to the solo I'd basically just look at what chord was playing over top, start on the root note somewhere and just shred about with notes that are in key with whatever scale I could be bothered to use.
Throw in some half assed 2 string arpeggios and some tapping phrases and I'd finish my song.

It actually sounded decent, but every other song I'd try after that was basically the same song rhythm wise but with different chords and notes for a solo.
I start with an idea in my head, start doing it but I have no control over what I want to do, i find myself just being forced into using certain notes because theory dictates so. I have zero control over reaching what was in my head.
Come up with a rhythm first - one thats different to what you've used before. In fact, make yourself use a different time sig - if you wrote in 12/8 before, write in 4/4 this time, or vice versa. Then make yourself stick to that rhythm.

If you always come up with a chord progression and then write over it try doing it backwards - come up with a melody, then see what chords fit with it.

Focus on phrasing and make yourself write a melody and a solo that goes somewhere - make it tell a story to go with your lyrics.

If you want to get out of sticking in the scale try writing bits on gp or powertab, or another instrument, or sing it and record it, then work out how to play it on your guitar. That way you're using your ears and taking your muscle memory completely out of the equation.
Oh, I just remembered. Something about rhythms. I was watching a Paul Gilbert video, and he talks about this rhythmical exercise he does. Basically, mute your strings and strum a cool rhythm on the muted strings. Doesn't have to be complicated, it can be as simple as eighth notes with different accents. Just make sure you get grooving with that, with just the rhythm. Once you have that solid in your head and you have the beat, throw in some notes with the rhythm. The point here isn't to make an awesome 50nps lick, it's to make an interesting sound. Experiment with offbeats, syncopation, dotted rhythms, etc. There are lots of possibilities from that exercise, and it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it! I'm sure some rhythmical inspiration will come from it that you can incorporate into one of your songs.