Righto, Large Pics, dont say i didnt warn you.

Pickud up these earlier than I expected. Two Avatar cabinets that I snatched off Ebay the other night. Both brand new.

First off, the 2x12. Loaded with Celestion V30's, the RRP in Australia is around the $1000 mark. Got for $710 AU. So far, I prefer this to the 4x12. Im thinking of swapping out one of the V30's for a Greenback, though I've heard the V30 overpowers it, is this true, or would they make a good pair?

Now, the 4x12. SO FAR, to me anyway, it doesnt sound as good the the 2x12, but it does look better. Again, Celestion V30's, RRP of this cab is around $1400. I scored it for $620 AU!

Heres some shots with my whole setup.

Im going to sell the 4x12 for a profit. Aiming to sell it for $1100-1150. Even thats a very good price for a 4x12 cab of this quality (in Australia). If all goes well, I get $500+ from the turnover. I cant wait 'till the speaker break in, how long does that normally take? Just a ballpark figure would be good, playing at bedroom volumes, mabye a bit louder.

Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Hncd
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
I've had my Avatar 2x12 with V30s for about 2 or 3 weeks, and I play maybe an hour or two a night, maybe less, maybe more on weekends. My speakers are probably broken in, I could hear them getting less stiff after the first week, but I haven't noticed a huge difference in the last week, so I assume they are broken in.

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You wont be able to break in v30's with a blackstar ht-5... unless your pushing serious air and really making the cones move it wont happen fully. Best method ive come accross is use some form of input that repeats, face your cab to the floor and cover it with a duvet, crank the amp and go out for a few hours.
I don't think you are right... I broke mine in with my Valve Junior. Granted I pretty much had it cranked the whole time, but it is possible.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by stykerwolf
really hate to be a serious noob here but what exaclty is the point of breaking speakers in? Is it like a thing you do to get its climax performance?

Well, they break in no matter what. It's just a matter of doing it quickly. Basically speakers work by pushing air, this happens because the cones push out. The amount the cones can travel is called excursion. When you get a new speaker it has less excursion than it will once broken in. Think about it like breaking in a baseball glove, or anything else like that, that you stretch out after a few uses...

Unintended I swear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by stykerwolf
So what is achived when the excursion is the most?

Then the speaker sounds like it should. I guess a good example would be a trampoline. When you buy a new one, and jump, it only goes so close to the ground. As the springs break in it will get more and more bounce to it, and more excursion. In the world of speakers this means it gets more air moving, and more consistently reproduces frequencies. So it sounds a bit louder, and more well rounded.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Happy New Cabs Day.

I agree the wheat grill 412 looks totally the shiznit but the 212 is probably more practical. You could retolex it later if you get tired of the red. Avatar's FTW!

PS: I wouldn't get too hung up on speakers breaking in. Just know that the cab will start sounding better and better
Celestion have a guide to breaking in speakers pretty quickly on their website.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'll probably retolex it sooner or later. It wouldn't be too hard to do, would it?

Quote by Danyg
Nice Cabs my friend! I love my Avatar.

How did you get the backs off? I've been meaning to get into the back of mine for a while but didn't see an obvious way in so I just let it be.
Sig What?
Thanks 311.

Darth, doesnt your cab have screws at the back? I just undid all the screws to get it off.

Quote by Danyg