If I was to solely rely on an effects pedal (amp modeling and all effects etc) what would be a good amp to use in conjunction with this.

Basically just to provide the power and have less to do with sound colouration and stuff.

Personally I get what I need from my Boss GT6 but I was looking for a new amp. At the moment I'm using a clean channel of a Marshall AVT 150, just to provide the power, I don't give a toss about its tone really however the clean channel on my AVT is warm and doesn't distort at high volumes which is good for me as I want as little interference with the pedals tone as possible.

I play in a band and use about half of my exisiting amps volume. I'm looking for something that basically has one channel. It wouldn't be worth my while using an expensive Tube amp with the pedal or an amp with lots of channels etc etc.

Any recommendations please put 'em here.
NEW WAVE OF BRITSH HEAVY METAL!!!!
Why don't you just use a pa system or get a cheap amp like the crate flexwave 120. People say it sucks because the distortion and effects on it suck but that doesn't bother me. I use of only to jam with my friends in my basement though. Run through a pa system with a line six pod
Check out Atomic Amps, they're tube power amps designed specifically for that purpose.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??

Atomic amps
Roland Jazz Chorus
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
a poweramp might be a good idea but it might be too treble-y through a PA speaker. guitar amplifiers have speakers with a considerable high frequency roll off. I would suggest either a Roland Jazz Chorus or a Roland Cube 60 (the Cube series has a Jazz Chorus channel). The Jazz Chorus is renown for its transparent amplification.

Or you could buy a nice clean bass amp. I use the Acoustic (that's the brand) B20 when I want a clean sound with little tone coloring. It has a good equalizer so i can make it sound really thick or roll of the bass and boost the highs. Takes distortion pedals really well too.

Hijacking: There is nothing wrong with using a bass on a guitar amp or using a guitar on a bass amp. The problem is when you use a bass amp on a guitar speaker cabinet, the low frequencies could wear out the speakers and cause tears. Always match impedances and beware of wattage ratings.
yeah very cheap solution is just plug into the venues PA with an fx pedal! works well for me i have to say.

and^ you cannot put a poweramp through an active PA system which the majority are these days
Last edited by DaathMatal at Jul 21, 2009,
I've seen people use..

Keyboard amps
Power amps into halfstacks
PA systems into halfstacks
Effects return on SS amp
Effects return on Tube amp
Straight into a full pa system
Into Jazz Chorus
Into Cheap SS amps

Pick you poison...
You're best bet is to plug straight into the PA. If you're looking for practice purposes, then a cheap bass amp would do you well, but for the long run, plugging straight into the PA is the cleanest you'll get.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Why don't you just use a pa system or get a cheap amp like the crate flexwave 120. People say it sucks because the distortion and effects on it suck but that doesn't bother me. I use of only to jam with my friends in my basement though. Run through a pa system with a line six pod

nnnnnooooooooo
Quote by brentonlatour

Or you could buy a nice clean bass amp. I use the Acoustic (that's the brand) B20 when I want a clean sound with little tone coloring. It has a good equalizer so i can make it sound really thick or roll of the bass and boost the highs. Takes distortion pedals really well too.

my friend does this. metal muff into his little bass amp. it sounds decent, and its not very expensive.
I would say either get:

1) A JC-120
2) A keyboard amp
3) Any FRFS (Full Range Flat Response) amplifier. I would suggest checking out Atomic Amps for that.

Otherwise just get a DI box and go right into the PA system thats your cheapest option.
Elitists and Hypocrites
Ok thanks a lot fellas.

I was thinking about the PA route, the reason why I wouldn't by a cheap crappy amp is cause I'd still want an amp that was of reasonable sound quality.

I hear what your saying about using the venue P.A but what about for my own practicing and driving a two by 12" and a single 15" cabinnet?

I'll take a look at some of the links offered.

Thanks
Roland JC-120
Look like I can't get Atomic amps or Tech21 in the UK, i'M BASED IN nORTHERN Ireland so it would probably cot ridiculous money tio get either type of amp brought in special.

Both these amps look like they're designed for exactly what I want, which is to utilize my effects pedal and its amp modeling feature to the max. Looks Like I'm going to have to go down the Bass amp or Keyboard amp route. If so any good recommendations guys?

Or you could buy a nice clean bass amp. I use the Acoustic (that's the brand) B20 when I want a clean sound with little tone coloring. It has a good equalizer so i can make it sound really thick or roll of the bass and boost the highs. Takes distortion pedals really well too.QUOTE]

Hey man I'm going to check out Acoustic amps also.
Last edited by Rabid Gerry at Jul 23, 2009,