Anyone out there ever made your own guitar? I have an old (and frankly pretty ****) samick strat. The neck is actually really nice to play but the body is damaged and the neck wont sit in it properly, the electronics all need rewiring etc. So I plan to totally take it apart and basically build myself a new guitar. I'm going to use the neck of the Samick and use pickups I took out of my Gould LP a while ago (I replaced them with humbuckers from an Epiphone). I've been looking at a few websites which give the basics of how to do it, but I'm wondering does anyone have any personal experiance doing this kind of thing? What are the main things I need to look out for/be careful of?
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
If i'm not mistaken the pit > americas health system.

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
Um, yes? I've made 3 and I am on my 4th.

It's not hard, if you plan and have some mechanical abilities. Its essential to plan ahead, and know which techniques to use for certain parts of a build.

Since you're only building a body, you won't need to worry about fretting and such. You can steal a bunch of measurements from your old samick body to make it work with the neck. Measure scale length and neck pocket along with any other goodies.

Other than that, just search builds here and try to aquire a feel of what people do and how it is done. Also, ask more specific questions. This forum is full of a bunch of kids who don't want to help each other, so they would rather tell you to read the stickies rather than helping.

I can't tell you what to do completely. Everyone does it differently. But start by looking up builds and seeing how things are done. I think I have a link to one of mine in my signature, check it out!
Thanks man.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
Ebay's a great place to look for project bodies and parts. Stew-Mac has books and DVD's that will teach you anything you need to know about building a guitar..
Watch out for scale length. Make sure your new body's bridge is in the right place and height type for your neck's scale length. It'll never play right if this is wrong.
Also check for neck bolt holes in the body matching those in your guitar's neck. It's a pain to alter either the neck or bodies hole locations. Neck pocket depth should be the same or the action will be off.
It's all in the setup. You can buy the best parts and end up with a guitar that's junk. Learn how to do more than just bolt parts together.
I recommend to anyone who wants to build, repair, maintain, or setup a guitar the book "Guitar Player Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine, available through Stew-Mac.
When I build a cigar box electric guitar, or bring back to life an old archtop rescued from Ebay, I set it up to Gibson factory specs. or better. There's a balance between action, neck angle, bridge height, neck relief, etc.
Building a guitar that plays well is something to be proud of. Good luck.
^ lol that's awesome, if you don't mind me asking, what's the scale length on one of those?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I've made 1 complete and have 5 that i'm working on concurrently.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Geeze Phil.... got a lot going on at once!

Billm90, that's pretty sweet. I've wanted to build one of those forever, maybe next. Is it a true acoustic body also? It looks...odd!

TS, I really do think reference is the best way to learn. Look over TONS of builds including other instruments like bass guitars or even banjos. You can never know too much information.
I'm in the middle of building my first, going to do at least one more.]

EDIT: Phil, you crazy.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
The WTLT list sort of exists more for the Who NOT To Listen To list.

This forum is crawling with good advice and great inspirations for builders. Check out Ormsby, Phil, Will, Isaac, ohspyro, and all of the other pros around here for great inspiration.

Quote by ohspyro89
Geeze Phil.... got a lot going on at once!

Billm90, that's pretty sweet. I've wanted to build one of those forever, maybe next. Is it a true acoustic body also? It looks...odd!

TS, I really do think reference is the best way to learn. Look over TONS of builds including other instruments like bass guitars or even banjos. You can never know too much information.

yup... my king v, king v bass, ash rg, scrapocaster and lefty bass... the lefty is almost done, the king v guitar is almost done, the king v bass is just starting, the ash rg is almost done and the scrapocaster is rough cut, fretboard is slotted, neck is laminated... busy busy!

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Phil, call in sick to work for a month and finish all of them in order.

I haven't been working... NC owes me 15 grand and i'm collecting unemployment while i'm not working... i have a customer in PA keeping me busy a few days every couple weeks... i've just been running around a lot lately and sleeping in... i'm enjoying my mini-vacation. i've actually gotten a lot done lately but not as much as I could have... i gotta work on that

Phil, I think you know what you need to do.

On topic, if you want, I have a good pdf file of a guitar build done step by step. PM me an email address if you're interested.

I built a Strat from scratch awhile back.
It's actually not that hard once you get the hang of it.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Thanks guys this is all good advice. Gonna head down the hardware store later see if I can find some nice ash or similar. TBH this is a warmup project, if this goes well then I'd love to build my own from scratch. Making a new body for this one will tell me if I'm good enough to do that.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
*bump*

So finding the wood for this thing is much harder than I'd thought, where did you guys get it from? Looking to find some ash if I can. Oh, and I'm in Ireland, I'll order it online if I have to (though I've no idea where from) but buying it locally would be much preferred.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/

DREAM THEATER

Gear;
Gould LP
Samick strat
Tanglewood strat
Squire 4 string bass
Alto saxophone
lumber yards, google "lumber yards near (city/town)" if you dont know where they are around you, you CAN order online, but guitar specialized wood stores are usually overpriced. there are also some users on this site who will sell you wood.
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Okay, to the four of you who PM'd me, check your emails.

If LPaddict is ever around, email him, he may still have some tonewood to sell you.