Why are my strings closer to the fret board at the top of the neck. I have about double the distance to the fret board at the bottom of the neck than I have at the top.
Top of the fretboard being nearest the nut? Well just looking at the angle your fretboard makes compared to the string, the fretboard and strings aren't parallel with each other.
You mean your strings are higher at the higher frets which is closer to the body? If it is then it's normal. It's how guitar are built.

My guitar string height at the 1st fret is pretty close, about 0.5mm while at the 12th fret it's 2mm. That's the low E string.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

It's supposed to be that way. You can lower the string height (also known as action), but it will always be higher on the high frets then it is at the nut.
Quote by KreatorRage
It's your action.

Lol so it's the string heights fault for being lower at the nut compared to at the last fret?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Lol so it's the string heights fault for being lower at the nut compared to at the last fret?

I'm sure you're being sarcastic but for those who don't know I'm going to say that the nut height is a factor but they shouldn't forget about relief and the truss rod.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Gargoyle2500
I'm sure you're being sarcastic but for those who don't know I'm going to say that the nut height is a factor but they shouldn't forget about relief and the truss rod.

Well I don't understand how the string height at the nut is lower then at the last fret because of the action? And also you must account for the neck angle as well.
It is normal, but if it is WAY off you may need a trus rod adjustment.

What kind of guitar is it?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Well I don't understand how the string height at the nut is lower then at the last fret because of the action? And also you must account for the neck angle as well.

What I meant to say is that the nut slot height has to do with the overall action but I didn't mean that it was a problem. And yes, I was referring to the action too.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Just lower the bride a bit, but it's normal.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.