Page 1 of 2
I really want that big american sounding feel to my guitar rig so I was thinking about getting a mesa boogie single rectifier head or maybe even an express combo - but they are sooo damned expensive even used!!

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about maybe another brand that was simmillar in sound that doesn`t carry the clout of Mesa because I know that part of what you are paying for there is the name.

Advice?
Peavey 3120/XXX/Ultra, B-52 AT's and Krank Rev+ are the first to spring to mind.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Believe what you want, but you are paying for top quality when you buy a Mesa Boogie. I have a Stiletto Ace combo and I´m telling you those things are built like tanks and have a great sound.
B-52's/Bugera's/Peavey's don't sound anything like a Mesa imo, unfortunately there is no substitute.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by sethp
go for a used F-series or a DC-series

+1
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
Well heres the deal I have about 3k or so from working this summer I want to save as much as possible (college) but I`m willing to dish a grand if absolutely necessary to have that sound.

So if you guys say "there is nothing like a Mesa" then I guess I`m going to go bargain hunting for a mesa but if you know something else that has that kind of quality I would really appreciate it.
Bought my used Solo head last month for $700. Best $700 I've ever spent. No piece of crap Peavey or B52 should even be mentioned in the same sentence!
Quote by tennisplayer
No piece of crap Peavey or B52 should even be mentioned in the same sentence!

Sigh.

OP, are you looking for t3h br00t4lz or do you want Mesa cleans?

If the former, check out a used DC or F series, if the latter, try to get a used Lonestar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Its all about the distortion I wouldn`t say brutal and I don`t want a SS amp (F series is SS right)
^ he said up to 1 grand.
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
Quote by tennisplayer
Bought my used Solo head last month for $700. Best $700 I've ever spent. No piece of crap Peavey or B52 should even be mentioned in the same sentence!

Peavey 5150/6505, Triple X, JSX, 3120, are far from what I would call a piece of crap, they are all just as brootal as the Boogie, or your solo, if not even more. The are built like tanks, you sir are being a snoob.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
You can coach similiar tones out of a Peavey Triple and Peavey Ultras Lead channel. I would check those out and see what you think. Then you always have a bit more versatlity.
Quote by Taylor B
Its all about the distortion I wouldn`t say brutal and I don`t want a SS amp (F series is SS right)

Mesa has never made a solid state amp and probably never will, considering part of their whole mystique is that they aim to produce high quality high gain vacuum tube amps...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Taylor B
What about the Mesa Nomads?

i think the nomad series is hit-or-miss. depends on the model and the year it was made. from what i've heard they aren't as desireable as the F or DC. i could be wrong though
oh, and mesa doesn't make SS amps

also, check out grailtone.com
Last edited by sethp at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
Mesa has never made a solid state amp and probably never will, considering part of their whole mystique is that they aim to produce high quality high gain vacuum tube amps...

I think if they made a decent sounding SS amp, they could expand their product line without hurting their rep. Some people would still complain 'OMG t3h transist0rs m4k3 t3k sux' but a decent sounding SS Mesa at around $500-700, people would buy.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Johnbryant
Peavey 5150/6505, Triple X, JSX, 3120, are far from what I would call a piece of crap, they are all just as brootal as the Boogie, or your solo, if not even more. The are built like tanks, you sir are being a snoob.

I'm talking about quality, no comparison. Not a snoob either, I've owned lot's of cheap gear. Just sold my Bugera 333XL.
Quote by tennisplayer
I'm talking about quality, no comparison. Not a snoob either, I've owned lot's of cheap gear. Just sold my Bugera 333XL.

I've seen way way more professionals with Peaveys then Mesa's. They are always extremely road worthy which is why alot of people go with them. And how can you even compare Peavey Quality to Mesa and then pop off that you just sold a Bugera
Quote by sethp
go for a used F-series or a DC-series

+1

DC especially, the F is voiced more for mid-gain rock, whereas the DC lead channel can do just about anything (the GEQ helps a great deal).
Quote by Johnbryant

+311

Those are all made well Peavey's right there. Even Valvekings are pretty well made considering they are made in China. Agreed however, the Mesa's are kind of in a class by themselves. Lonestar's are really nice and can get quite heavy. A UG'r recently got a used Peavey 3120 for $700. Use the link in my sig to find gear.

Budget?
Genres?
New or Used?
Home or gig?
Closest City?
Current gear?

I know you said $1,000 is your top end. You are right there in that funky part of the budget range where you are very close to high end gear. Save a bit more, look for used amps and you can get yourself one hell of set up.

PS: DO you prefer head/cab or combo? Would a cabinet be in the same budget monies?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I've seen way way more professionals with Peaveys then Mesa's. They are always extremely road worthy which is why alot of people go with them. And how can you even compare Peavey Quality to Mesa and then pop off that you just sold a Bugera

This. What I got from his post was "Hey, Ive owned cheap ****. Like that Bugera 333XL I just threw away, NOW THAT was a piece of ****."
Too many elitists on here. Theyre everywhere.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

check out carvin amps
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Can you not follow a simple conversation? I said there is no comparison between a Mesa and a freakin cheap B52 or cheap Peaveys. The build differences are night and day. Ever looked inside a B52? Then a Mesa? Yes I've owned a bunch of cheap gear in my life, ( I'm in my 50's) thus I have a basis for my statement. Does this mean I can't own both? Are you a moron? I have a lot of amps. Hi quality ones and cheap ones. What are you 12 years old or something?
First you attack gear and now you are attacking an established UG'r for trying to balance out your comment in case someone else doesn't know any better.

Quote by tennisplayer

No. You are wrong. Mesa's may be built better but that is no reason to say that Peavey's and B52's are crap and that they shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentance blah bla blah. Peavey's have held up on the road in rigorous conditions for probably tens of thousands of shows live so to say they are crap is ridiculous.

The TS has already stated he is looking for alternatives. You, Mr TennisPlayer are the moron.

Quote by tennisplayer
Can you not follow a simple conversation? I said there is no comparison between a Mesa and a freakin cheap B52 or cheap Peaveys. The build differences are night and day. Ever looked inside a B52? Then a Mesa? Yes I've owned a bunch of cheap gear in my life, ( I'm in my 50's) thus I have a basis for my statement. Does this mean I can't own both? Are you a moron? I have a lot of amps. Hi quality ones and cheap ones. What are you 12 years old or something?

I follow converstations quite well... And no where did you mention the word "Cheap".

Quote by tennisplayer

You stated piece of crap Peaveys. Pitting all Peaveys against Mesa

Then the guy rattled off models and you fired back

Quote by Johnbryant

Quote by tennisplayer

Stating you where talking about quality which the poster infact was also talking about quality...

So in no way were you stating what you stated in the last post to me that its only cheap Peavey's. Which is a extremely bad comparision in the first place. Your pitting the bottom of line amp against an amp 5 times the cost. Of coarse there going to be better...

But then again maybe you are just old and cant remember what you typed..

Also me being young has nothing to do with it old timer
Well thanks guys, I think I`m going with a Mesa, I want to be a serious player and I`m not going to waste my hard earned cash hoping to get what I want - I have a decent cab right now with a ****ty crate head that doesn`t even switch channels right guess I`ll be keeping my eye out for a Mesa Boogie.

Thanks again.
Quote by STABxYOU
I think if they made a decent sounding SS amp, they could expand their product line without hurting their rep. Some people would still complain 'OMG t3h transist0rs m4k3 t3k sux' but a decent sounding SS Mesa at around $500-700, people would buy.

+1. Especially if it had the JC-120 (SS) cleans with the VH140-C (SS) distortion, it would pretty much dominate the SS amp market.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 21, 2009,
tennisplayer:

TS: If you want the Mesa tone, Mesa is the best way to go. Like IP said, the XXX and Ultra can get close, but are obviously not gonna be perfect. The Randall RMs have Mesa modules, but I've not tried those amps. I played the bugera 333 and honestly thought it sucked hard. It was tinny and weak sounding. Plenty of people love them though,

An F or DC is in your price range and they're both very nice amps with great cleans and plenty of gain for anything you want to play. I've not played the DC, but I owned an F and it's got more gain than you'll ever need. If you're lucky you could probably snag a recto combo or a single rectifier and a 2x12 for under a grand.

+311 to 311 on saving, you're not too far from some really amazing gear if you look used.

The most important thing is to try them if at all possible, though we know in many cases it isn't.

CullenT: Why would mesa try to rip off Ampeg and Roland? Last time they remotely ripped anyone off was the Mark I and you can hardly call it a rip off since it's an over the top hot rodded Princeton

Also, on the B-52 AT. Great amp for the price, doesn't sound like a mesa to me. That's all I've got on that one.

Good luck TS, looking for amps is lots of fun, but can be pretty nerve racking at times.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by Kevin Saale
CullenT: Why would mesa try to rip off Ampeg and Roland? Last time they remotely ripped anyone off was the Mark I and you can hardly call it a rip off since it's an over the top hot rodded Princeton

I didn't mean rip off, I meant VH-140C quality distortion and JC-120 quality cleans
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
^Gotcha. That would be good, but don't count on it. Mesa has prided themselves on high gain tubes amps ever since the Mark I, going SS would be a seriously deviation from their ways.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^I know. I wasn't saying "I hope and pray every night that one day the amp gods will deliver me this SS Mesa amp". It was just a thought.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
The tone I get from my B-52 actually reminds me a lot of the tone I got out of a Mesa Roadking once in a music store.

Then again, B-52's aren't known for reliability.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Maybe try an ENGL.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Page 1 of 2