What does installing my Epi G-400's neck pick-up do, if anything?
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
do you mean, just putting the pickup in the ring the wrong way round? if so, I can't imagine it'll be noticably different to what it is currently.

Or do you mean, wiring it the wrong way round? this'll give you an "out of phase" sound when both pickups are used at once. the guitarist (arguably) most famous for this effect is Peter Green from fleetwood mac.
Idk. I was reading somewhere that Layne Staley's SG had the neck pickup installed backwards and i was wondering what that did...
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Quote by CGB89
Idk. I was reading somewhere that Layne Staley's SG had the neck pickup installed backwards and i was wondering what that did...
Rotating a pickup 180 degrees does very little to change the tone.

I would definitely install either the neck pickup OR the bridge pickup (one or the other, but not both) the wrong way round.

Usually the neck pickup has the screw coil toward the head and the bridge pickup has the screw coil toward the bridge. I dislike that.

When you split the pickups to single coil mode, it makes most sense to use the screw (south) coil from one pickup and the slug (north) coil from the other. That gives you hum canceling.

IF you have the pickups so both are oriented the same, using one north coil and one south coil will give you outer coils (Tele-ish kind of tone) or inner coils (Strat-ish kind of tone)

Maybe this is why he did it, idk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
turning a neck pup the wrong way round will change the sound slightly.

unless your pickups have been over or under wired they will not go out of phase. like mentioned above.

you will get a slightly fatter sound out of the neck and ive never done it to a bridge pup. if its something like an EMG/Blackout though it wont do anything really.

you shoudl hear some difference in the pups but may not be too noticable
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs