...........another New Amp Day!!!

Peavey Prowler, high gain and awesome cleans, exactly what i was lookin for.

theres one problem, the high gain input doesnt work properly. thats how i talked him down from 280 to 200 at the pawn shop. the low gain input has plenty of gain but it still makes me curious about how the high gain one sounds.

i bought one pre amp tube and tried placing it in each port. no luck. the tube closest to the front doesnt light up. my method of thinking is that the low gain input uses 2 preamps and the high gain uses three and the third one isnt working. feel free to chime in if u hav any clue.
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Last edited by someguy27 at Jul 21, 2009,
Typically, the high/low gain inputs just have a resistor or two on the low gain side to bring your guitar signal down a bit, I think. It might just be that the high gain input jack has a bad connection somewhere. Of course, it could be different with this amp.
I thought that you were gonna announce that you lost the game...
Quote by LukeElliff
IF you want faster stumming then loosen your strings, that will force you into using more strength

Quote by pantallica95
i dont know about the polarity and ****, but my regular ones just wont go in the hole without a lot of force.
Pretty cool man. I would love to hear some clips of this thing.

Insert jack might just need replacing. Also try sticking a dummy jack (like a 1/4 headphone adapter plug) into the High Gain insert and see what happens.

I'm not familiar with this amp but I just have to guess that preamp tubes are not engaged based on high or low gain. They should all light up me thinks. What happens when you put the new tube in the spot where the dead one is? Also, these tubes are often rather dim. Turn off all the lights and really crank her up and see if it doesn't light up a bit.

IF not - then you may have some more serious issues with this amp
yea im gonna take it to a friend and see what he says

thanx

i forgot to mention, when u plug into the high gain it sounds clean. u can turn the volume all the way up and it stays clean. if u press the gain boost it gets just a little crunchy. i dont know if that helps
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Last edited by someguy27 at Jul 21, 2009,
Seriously bro, get some clips up. I've only seen a few vids on youtube, but a guy is selling a mint condition one for $200 on my CL. I figured it couldn't do high gain that well.

Damn, probably shoulda just grabbed it.

HNAD
Quote by someguy27
yea im gonna take it to a friend and see what he says

thanx

i forgot to mention, when u plug into the high gain it sounds clean. u can turn the volume all the way up and it stays clean. if u press the gain boost it gets just a little crunchy. i dont know if that helps

That sounds really odd. Can you lay out for us exactly what tubes are in this? So low gain insert is fine right? Does it sound OK there?
low gain is perfectly fine. it has 3, 12 ax7s and 2, 6l6's
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
This thing looks like a precursor to a Valveking. I've never seen one before. My guess is the tubes are fine. I would still replace the new one one at a time in each preamp slot. You've probably done this already. Try the dummy jack trick. Low gain inserts were designed for high output active pickups. I seriously doubt you would notice much difference even if the high gain insert was working. I really can't think of what it would be outside of a circuitry problem. Most of us with Valvekings run on the Low Gain insert anyway regarless of what guitars we have. I'd just forget it and move on.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd just forget it and move on.

+1

And HNAD
Quote by MetalHead916
Seriously bro, get some clips up. I've only seen a few vids on youtube, but a guy is selling a mint condition one for $200 on my CL. I figured it couldn't do high gain that well.

Damn, probably shoulda just grabbed it.

HNAD

i'd get it its a great amp a lot of gain
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
yes
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat