1. As the gauge goes up, do the strings get more tense or floppier? the only strings I've used so far are light and medium gauge strings and I've been wanting to try heavy gauge strings on my new bass. Also, is there any other differences like in tone between different gauge strings? Are certain gauges better for pick/finger style playing? I'm looking for a heavier sound for metal that's why I want to try out heavy gauge strings.

2. I bought my second bass last week (White Ibanez with black hardware) and was wondering if DR black coated strings were any good, because they would look amazing on my white bass with black trim. I've also heard they last longer, but cost more ($35 as opposed to the normal $25 for strings) so are these strings any good? does the coating flake off easily? Do they sound as good as non-coated strings?
Heavier the guage, the tighter the string. Heavier guages are for drop tunings and need truss rod adjustments usually.

*Highjacks thread*

Can anyone vouch for Elixir Strings?
Quote by Spaz91
Heavier the guage, the tighter the string. Heavier guages are for drop tunings and need truss rod adjustments usually.

*Highjacks thread*

No threadjacking sir. And yes there is a definite difference in tone between thicker and thinner gauges of string. Thicker strings generally have a bassier, more boomy tone than thinner strings do. Check the FAQ section for a bit of advice about the strings themselves.
Fender 5 String Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Peavey TNT 115
EHX Bass Big Muff Pi
Daneletro Cool Cat OD V2 (excellent pedal)
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V845 Classic Wah Pedal
I don't really wanna adjust the truss rod, so should I just go with light or medium gauge like 100 or 105? Anyone know anything about DR black beauties?
Quote by TreetarDed
Anyone know anything about DR black beauties?

I had a set of Black Beauties on my 5 string before, standard gauge. They were pretty good. Nice bright tone and lasted for aaaagggeeessss, but the feel takes a while to get used to at first. After a few weeks the colour will fade away at some parts of the strings, usually on the underside I found, but that doesn't affect the tone or playability of the strings. I suggest you try 'em, they're great strings.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^DR Blackbeauties are the only DRs I like. They have a decent tone and wear well. I just don't think they're worth the price tag. There are strings I prefer that are lower in cost, like Rotos and Stadium Elites.
Those are like the Roto 88s (tru bass). Be aware they were made to get a more upright thump on an electric. If you are looking for bright, these aren't the ones you want.
Having tried Roto's and just about everything out there I've come to the opinion that Warwick's are the best value and tone available, I've had the same ones on for over 6 months (boiled them once and i never wipe down my bass after playing) and they still have an incredibly good tone. Not only the bass went on a beach trip with this set on and there is no rust
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Spaz91

*Highjacks thread*

Elixirs are good if a little bright at times
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think