that is the question.

some say that no angle will keep you from digging into the string, but ive always had an angle in my picking.....but then again im not as accurate as i would like..
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
schecter Damian 6 string
Jackson Dinky Dk2
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
I hold it at a 45'ish angel to the strings
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
when you say no angle do you mean vertical to the strings or horizontal?

edit: then i always play at an angle adjusting slightly depending on what im playing.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jul 21, 2009,
i go 45 for palm muting and pinch harmonics... straight for shredding
Quote by stephen_rettie
when you say no angle do you mean vertical to the strings or horizontal?

horizontal to the string. because when i play like a solo when i hold it 45 degrees it doesnt sound good at all haha
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
schecter Damian 6 string
Jackson Dinky Dk2
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
i haven't actually paid attention but i think i hold it slightly differently depending on what i'm picking if that makes any sense...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Depends on the thickness and bevel of the pick.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Angled picking exposes less of the pick to the string, giving you more attack and needing less force to pluck it.
I never looked at my picking angle, but it looks like when I'm chugging riffs it's near-horizontal to the string, but everything else, mostly on the high strings, it's angled.
Another unoriginal prog head.
i definitely keep it parallel to the strings for sweeping, but for everything else i'm not really sure. i think i keep it pretty level when alternate picking as well. the only time i think it really angles is when i do pinch harmonics and stuff. but i'd have to actually pay more attention to my hands when i play to figure it out. i usually pay more attention to my fingering hand.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
I almost always angle the pick...I mean cosidering the guitar isn't exactly straight when I am holding it.
This is a recent development of mine.

I find that learning to hold the pick at all angles from parallel to thumb facing the ground or thumb to the sky is pretty freakin important.

When i'm playing low string open rhythms holding the pick with my thumb pointing to the ground sounds alot more aggressive and full. Legato runs sound alot more pronounced if my attack is parallel (more push) and thumb facing up usually happens when i'm sweeping.

Try all three ways (and more) till you find what applies best to your sound.
I use thick picks for everything, so my angle changes as i play. Like i'll hold it pretty straight for most things, but for chords i angle it to rake the strings instead of pounding on them.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Ive found that I play much faster with an angled pick but for some reason I make my pick perpendicular to the strings when i tremolo pick
George Bernard Shaw

Hell is full of musical amateurs.
Quote by Geldin
Angled picking exposes less of the pick to the string, giving you less attack and needing less force to pluck it.

Fixed

Angling the pick can help you play a bit faster but accuracy will suffer slightly if you don't really think about what you are doing. By angling the pick you are making it physically easier for the pick to pass over the strings but as a result notes tend to muddle together rather than be pronounced. Try to find some common ground, i.e. angle but not too much.
Quote by billiegoat
Well Paul Gilbert angles if that helps

Just because Paul Gilbert does, doesn't mean anyone else has to. He's not some God above all guitarist. Play how you want.
perhaps I'm confused, but it seems that angling your pick while playing tremolo will cause your downstrokes to have a slightly different attack compared to the upstroke, so if you wanted the most consistent sound you should keep the pick perfectly parallel. thoughts?
Quote by slimp
perhaps I'm confused, but it seems that angling your pick while playing tremolo will cause your downstrokes to have a slightly different attack compared to the upstroke, so if you wanted the most consistent sound you should keep the pick perfectly parallel. thoughts?

thats why ive changed my picking to ALMOST parallel picking to a comfortable degree, its indeed different, it feels like more control but slightly more hassle moving around the strings compared to angling more... hmm
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
schecter Damian 6 string
Jackson Dinky Dk2
Peavey 6505+
B-52 At212
When I'm at alternate picking at a high speed, I angle my pick downward that it becomes almost perpendicular to the strings. This decrease the area at which the pick makes contact with the string, making it easier for the pick to cross the string. This means that you can pick more notes in a shorter time.