Hello I'm Rancid Ivy and I'm fairly new here, and this is my first thread so if it breaks any rules, please warn me

Okay so I've been playing power chords for about 8 months now (I can play a lot of songs with them (Pretty Fly for a white guy, almost all Nirvana and Green Day (Dookie Era), and various others)

When I look at covers on yoitube, everyone keeps their middle finger (the one they don't use) kinds "curled down" or something. but when I play, my middle finger is still straight and it kinds follows my 3rd and 4th fingers (without touching other strings because I know I play them correctly). My question: Does it matter if my middle finger stays straight or should I learn to kind of curl it down (search "powerchord" on google if you don't know what I mean)

Thanks!
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
You're good with whatever feels most comfortable!
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Do you mean you're perpetually flipping people the bird while you play?
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
it shouldn't matter really where your "free finger" is when playing just powerchords. if you are playing full chords though then you'll obviously need to have it on/ready to go on the fret board (e.g. f#major) You should probably try playing some full barre chords if you've been playing for 8 months. They'll be difficult at first as they require a fair bit of finger strength but they open up a huge range of musical possibilities
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I do play barre chords, and thnx for the info and yes, I do enjoy flipping people off lol
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
It doesn't matter if it's.. subconcious. But if you can't bend down to play a full bar chord, then you need to work on it.

Just make sure you don't start playing your power chord with your index and pinky finger.
Thats bad. Haha. I had a friend once, who was inspired by guitar hero to play guitar, and he ended playing guitar with his pinky and index. Damn, that was annoying.
Actually it's probably a good habbit if you like to think about the economy of motion. If you're moving to power chords rooted on the 5th string your finger will be there and ready to mute the 6th string so you can slam power chords without thinking much.
You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar.
Quote by wrlckguitrst57
Just make sure you don't start playing your power chord with your index and pinky finger.
Thats bad. Haha. I had a friend once, who was inspired by guitar hero to play guitar, and he ended playing guitar with his pinky and index. Damn, that was annoying.
I play power chords with my index and pinky a lot - and so does my teacher (who is awesome btw) - they are more stable to slide that way.

Edit: To clarify, I normally use my index and ring fingers, but any time I need to slide a power chord I prefer to use my pinky if possible.
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
I play power chords with my index and pinky a lot - and so does my teacher (who is awesome btw) - they are more stable to slide that way.

Oh, well I'm just saying from what I know.
I guess it doesn't really make that big a difference if you can still play barrs.
Only thing, is if you wanna hit three strings instead of just two, I'd imagine it being difficult.
Quote by wrlckguitrst57

And why is it wrong to play power chords this way??

I think it's better because 1. it helps strengthen your pinky and 2. it allows you to have your middle and ring finger ready for any note that you may need to hit.
Quote by srob7001
And why is it wrong to play power chords this way??

I think it's better because 1. it helps strengthen your pinky and 2. it allows you to have your middle and ring finger ready for any note that you may need to hit.

Neither is better, you can use them both. I, personally, have always been a fan of the "one finger per fret" rule, so I never use my pinky for a power chord, but I can see the uses of it. (say, playing a power chord on 5th fret E string and 7th fret A string and as soon as the chord was played you had to play a quick run starting on the 7th fret D string, I'd find it easier to use my pinky for the power chord rather than rolling my ring finger up two strings)
I think that learning to play with your finger closer to the fretboard will improve your overall technique, because when you move on to bar chords, you'll have to use your middle finger any way, so getting into good habits early on is really important, cause breaking bad habits further down the road is really difficult.
"Easier to criticize than to create"
I'd never thought to play power chords with the pinky... Will do in future, but knowing me, i'll habitually just go back to 2nd and 3rd
I've always played power chords with just my index and pinky since I started.. of course there are some exceptions.. depending on what strings and frets.. but for the basic spots to play them then I always use my pinky.. I find it easier to slide around like that.. and often I see guitarists using both their middle finger and then their pinky right behind it to play the octave note.. but why use two fingers? I just use my pinky over both. I lay the pinky down over those two and it mutes the other strings behind it.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I've always played power chords with just my index and pinky since I started.. of course there are some exceptions.. depending on what strings and frets.. but for the basic spots to play them then I always use my pinky.. I find it easier to slide around like that.. and often I see guitarists using both their middle finger and then their pinky right behind it to play the octave note.. but why use two fingers? I just use my pinky over both. I lay the pinky down over those two and it mutes the other strings behind it.

Same here my friend. That's exactly how I do my power chords.

It really helps to build pinky strength if you are lacking in that department.
Am I old school to play power chords with the octave note, using three fingers?

because in that case, you do use your pinky and pointer fingers. granted, you also use your ring finger...
Quote by Ninjaplz
Am I old school to play power chords with the octave note, using three fingers?

because in that case, you do use your pinky and pointer fingers. granted, you also use your ring finger...

I do that when the song calls for it, or if I want a little more depth to the power chord..but I still use my pinkie to bar the octave note...in most cases anyways...there is always an exception to the rule.
Yeah.

I'm like the opposite
I always play with the octave, but when songs call for it, I don't

Like in Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorpions, I only do the two notes
=]
To the original poster.. Look up Dave Mustaine's spider chord on youtube I'll wait..... Ok if you want to play something like that its ok to keep it straight but curving it makes it much easier to play barre chords IMHO
Yeah, I guess it's because I hit the octave also.
I should've been clearer, it doesn't matter I suppose if you just hitting the two strings.
Quote by wrlckguitrst57
It doesn't matter if it's.. subconcious. But if you can't bend down to play a full bar chord, then you need to work on it.

How is that bad? It's just a different way of playing powerchords.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.