so I have an epiphone standard les paul. i've had it like 2 and a half years and just recently it keeps going out of tune every 5 minutes. not one string in particular, all of them. its really getting me mad. i got it set up like a month ago (new strings and everything). and i stretched the strings out and blah, but it keeps going out of tune

what could be the problem?
time to sell it
Quote by vulcan422
i wish i could see Children Of Bodom agen
Quote by red157
Granted. But you have to endure support by the Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and a steaming turd.

1. Death
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Metallica
4. Megadeth
5. Pantera
6. Cannibal Corpse
The nut is the biggest culprit. After that, a good set of locking tuners would help, but isn't necessary.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
probably nut or bridgebeing worn to the point that its just ****ed.. Take it to the shop or some shizz.
Quote by SlayingDragons
I found your problem.

Hahahaha Lol!

Have you put new strings on lately cause if you didn't strech the strings if you put a new set on that could be you're problem or like what Baby Joel said it's most probably your nut or tuners.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!
Try putting Big Bends nut sauce (or if your really cheap, pencil lead) in your nut slots next time you change strings.
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Quote by SlayingDragons
I found your problem.

well thank you Mr Dragon 'Skater'

fuck off
Last edited by mick13 at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by mick13
well thank you Mr Dragon 'Skater'

fuck off

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick.

I dunno, have you had any problems tuning it before? what strings? drop tunings?
That's odd that guitar has Grovers it should stay in tone a fairly good amount of time. Buy some Sperzel locking tuners.
Just put new strings on it if the lst time you did was a month ago. I play really hard, and I have to change 'em every few weeks.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
The nut plays a much larger role in tuning stability than the tuners.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Quote by SlayingDragons
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick.

no, haha its my bad im in a pissy mood, especially because i cant play through one song without my guitar going out of tune
Quote by mick13
no, haha its my bad im in a pissy mood, especially because i cant play through one song without my guitar going out of tune

oh. sorry. Um... let's see... I don't really know how to fix things with tuning... I've heard about fileing the nut, and oiling the tuners, but thats about it.
Detune the strings and lubricate the nut with graphite (pencils). Make sure you put a lot in it, and you might wanna buy some automatic pencil leads (.5) for the thinner... uh... place where the string goes... thing... on the nut. Do this whenever you change strings and unless your tuners/bridge are/is a piece of crap, you'll never have tuning problems again.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
the screw in the top of the tuners - check there all tight so the tuners aren`t slipping and check the nut that hold the tuning post then check the intonation.

when you put the new strings on did the bridge fall off the posts, if so did you put it on the right way round.

normally when a guitar wont hold it`s tuning despite you doing everything you normally do when changing strings means that somthing has moved at a point where the string is in contact with the guitar.
Put the liquid graphite in the nut slots. Works like a charm and only costs 7 bucks. I've had my Les Paul for 15 years and it just started doing this. This stuff works.
just dont "file" the nut.

if you file it low at the fretboard side, you'll get buzz you wont be able to get rid of.

epi standards are good intermediate guitars.
lubing the string contact points help, like said.
checking that the tuner is on tight, like said.

and locking tuners work and are cheap enough, if it turns out that one of the tuners somehow broke.
like if you hear a ping/slip noise that continues even tho the string has a well lubed path from the saddle to the nut.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It could be all of this what everybody is saying. Another point I'd like to bring up though is if you changed your strings correctly. Strings that were not changed right will go out of tune very easily.
yeah it could be any of the above...but it might help to narrow it down a bit if you'd mention if they're going sharp or flat.

three points though...it was (a) fine for 2 1/2 years, (b) was just "set up", and (c) all the strings are affected.

Was it a reputable source that did it, and did they mess with the neck/truss rod? If you have feeler gauges, check for any changes in the neck over the course of a few days.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah