Hello everyone. Now I've been playing my squier strat for a few years now, and I honestly think I'm ready for a change. Not that it's a bad guitar, but my input/output is shot, half the frets are coming loose, the toggle switch is beyond noisy, and the white finish has been stained a disgusting yellow. I'll be going into high school this year, and will want something to adapt to just about any kind of music, from jazz to maybe metal.
My highest price right now is about 300 dollars, but given a little more time, I could get close to 500. So with that sort of range in mind, and (as much as I despise them), a local guitar center close by, what guitar should I be looking into? And even more general, what's going to be a reliable brand that I can stick to? Thanks in advance, and ya'll have a great day.
I would say if you get a guitar and put a Bareknuckle Nailbomb in the bridge you can play jazz to metal and everything in between. Assuming its atleast a mid range guitar. What kinda body shapes do you like?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

body shape doesnt really matter, though assuming that I play sitting and standing, anything too BC Rich probably wouldnt be the way to go. And can anyone recommend the Ibanez RG350DX ? Otherwise, the before mentioned guitar above seems just as good.
Quote by Colgate Total
Mid end Ibanez would be great. The RG321 (?) comes to mind.

Nah, i'd go for the RG2EX1... or the like.
I had gotten my Squier used, and it wasnt very good. The action was there, the versatility was decent enough, but the quality made me frustrated. And thanks to all that have posted. I will probably look into a cheap stratocaster or a good RG model.
Quote by rockneweengland
It seems like Ibanez has a ton of these RG's in my range. Are there any I should avoid?

Anything with an Edge III on it. Also anything that has Ibanez made pickups.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Anything with an Edge III on it. Also anything that has Ibanez made pickups.

Not in his price range. anything in his range will most likely have the IBZ V7 and V8 humbuckers, unless it's the RG120, it has powersound pickups, which are crappo.

That RG350DX has an edge 3 bridge, listen to this guy.
Someone will shoot me and probably flame me for this but oddly enough I would think a fender fat strat would suit your needs quite well provided your amp is decent enough. It's probably one of the more versatile guitars i've actually played with a humbucker in the bridge and a true single coil in the neck and middle position.