Another reason to not eat at McDonalds

I'll take a big mac with a side of hepatitis A, not C!

ROCK ISLAND, Ill. (AP) -- Authorities in northwestern Illinois are trying to figure out why a case of hepatitis A in a McDonald's food handler went unreported for more than three weeks.

An estimated 10,000 people who ate at a McDonald's in Milan are being urged to get preventive treatment for the virus, which can cause fever and abdominal pain.

At least 20 cases of hepatitis A have been confirmed in five Illinois counties, said Rock Island County Health Department spokeswoman Theresa Foes.

An infected McDonald's employee came to work on seven days in July, possibly spreading the virus to patrons. Another McDonald's worker was diagnosed June 17, but health officials didn't know about that case until July 13, said Illinois Department of Public Health spokeswoman Melaney Arnold.

In a written statement forwarded by McDonald's corporate office, franchisee Kevin Murphy said the restaurant learned of the case from health officials on July 13. Murphy operates the Milan restaurant.

"Once we were notified of this matter by the Rock Island County Health Department on July 13, we took immediate corrective action to address their concerns," Murphy said in the statement. "No one ill knowingly worked in our restaurant once we were notified."

The restaurant was closed three days last week and reopened Saturday.

The hepatitis A virus can cause liver swelling but rarely causes lasting damage. Symptoms include fatigue, abdominal pain, vomiting and fever and can appear from 15 to 50 days after exposure.

People who consumed food or beverages at the Milan restaurant from July 6-10 or July 13-14 were being treated free Monday and Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Rock Island High School.

People ages 1 to 40 were receiving hepatitis A vaccine. Others were receiving immune globulin, a substance rich in antibodies that's given as a shot.

The massive vaccination clinic required help from other public health agencies and was organized by the Rock Island County Health Department. Officials drew on experience gained during recent emergency planning drills, Foes said.

The preventive treatments are most effective within two weeks of exposure, health officials said.

Cases have been confirmed in Rock Island, Mercer, Henry, Warren and Woodford counties.
Wouldn't expect any less than the best from McDonald's.
Last edited by I_I at Jul 21, 2009,
can i supersize it?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Mmmmmmm
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
I just started work at McDonalds today. Sounds great
Instruments:
1972 Fender Telecaster Thinline Semi-Hollow Reissue
Epiphone SG Special II
Squire Affinity P Bass
Squire Fretless Jazz Bass
Pirles Banjo
hahahah

people should start driving up and ordering a lawsuit with a large coke
At least it wasn't AIDs.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
At least is wasn't the aborted foetus of my (grand)daughter, concieved in my basement.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Nobodies died, silly. It says it doesn't have any long term effects.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Why are you guys making jokes, people are dying!!!!!

People are always dieing.
Not always fast enough for my liking, which is why I have to log out of this place once in a while.
Quote by MightyAl
People are always dieing.
Not always fast enough for my liking, which is why I have to log out of this place once in a while.

"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Could be worse. You could order chili at a Wendy's and get a severed thumb in it.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Jul 21, 2009,
Quote by texico11
At least it wasn't disgusting parts of processed chicken mashed together and crammed with fats before being served with soggy fries and a soft drink that's so watered you can't taste it anymore.

>_>

<_<

Man, your McDonalds must blow then.
Quote by kashuul
Man, your McDonalds must blow then.

That McDeez gives you herpes, though, not Hep A.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Evan360
I just started work at McDonalds today. Sounds great

Haha, I started there about a month ago.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.
Yes. Because, you know, there's such a big difference between McDonalds and any other fast food place in terms of things like that. All the sick people work at McDonalds, right?
ha.

i stopped eating Mc Ds like 4 years ago.. when i was 19.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
i have hepatitis a and what is this?
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob