Hey

I just broke a string on my acoustic. I have only playing for a couple of months so have never changed them before. What guage should I get? Any recommendations as to brand/type of strings. I don't know what was the on guitar to start off with.

Like I said I havn't been playing long so I don't need anything amazing. I play mainly jazz, blues and country incase the style of music makes any difference

Thanks
Just remember, the thinner the strings the brighter the sound. I like 0.10, but it's different for everybody
can you tell us a little about your guitar? what style and woods is it? and do you prefer a bright sound, a full sound or a darker sound?

Quote by dpregan
Hey

I just broke a string on my acoustic. I have only playing for a couple of months so have never changed them before. What guage should I get? Any recommendations as to brand/type of strings. I don't know what was the on guitar to start off with.

Like I said I havn't been playing long so I don't need anything amazing. I play mainly jazz, blues and country incase the style of music makes any difference

Thanks
Quote by Antis0cial
Just remember, the thinner the strings the brighter the sound. I like 0.10, but it's different for everybody

I call BS on this one.

For an acoustic guitar, you really don't want to string it with anything less than .012s. The acoustic guitar needs to have enough tension to drive the soundboard and give you good tone.

Anyways, the actual brand of strings you pick is purely personal preference. You'll have to try a bunch (over months and years) and find out what kind really fits you. I personally like Ernie Ball Earthwounds in 13s. A lot of people here like Martin and D'Addario strings. You'll just have to try some and find what you like best for yourself.

As a side note, I've found strings generally start to lose tone after about 3-4 weeks of playing . Little sooner if you play a lot or its humid, little longer in the dry winter or if you play less.

Last thing...since I'm guessing this is your first time changing strings, here is a great tutorial:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
I call BS on this one.

For an acoustic guitar, you really don't want to string it with anything less than .012s. The acoustic guitar needs to have enough tension to drive the soundboard and give you good tone.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

If thinner strings don't provide enough tension, why the hell would they make them??
Antis0cal has a point, but still, I have to say that for acoustic guitars, .012 is just the best and most versatile. However, I know quite a few electro-acoustic players use .011 or .010. I don't personally agree with "the thinner the strings, the brighter the sound" though. To me it seems more like, the thinner the strings, the thinner the sound (and volume). I think the materials used to make the strings play a bigger role in tone.

To the threadstarter: if you've only been playing a few months, then I suggest .011, or custom lights (though this differs with different brands). I think .010 are just rubbish sounding, way too thin. .011 will be easier on your fingers, especially if you haven't built up a callous yet. After a while, move on to .012, or if you want more bass, .013.

As far as brands go, I can't tell you much, since I don't like to experiment much. I used to use D'Addario, but I found they lost their sound and started to rust much much sooner than some of the cheaper more unknown brands. I'm actually sort of curious about this phenomenon. So anyway, I stopped using D'addario for acoustic strings altogether now.
Last edited by THE NEKRYPH at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by roamingbard13
I call BS on this one.

Anyways, the actual brand of strings you pick is purely personal preference. You'll have to try a bunch (over months and years) and find out what kind really fits you. I personally like Ernie Ball Earthwounds in 13s. A lot of people here like Martin and D'Addario strings. You'll just have to try some and find what you like best for yourself.

As a side note, I've found strings generally start to lose tone after about 3-4 weeks of playing . Little sooner if you play a lot or its humid, little longer in the dry winter or if you play less.

Last thing...since I'm guessing this is your first time changing strings, here is a great tutorial:

I use .011s. Seem to work fine dude.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Quote by THE NEKRYPH
Antis0cal has a point, but still, I have to say that for acoustic guitars, .012 is just the best and most versatile. However, I know quite a few electro-acoustic players use .011 or .010. I don't personally agree with "the thinner the strings, the brighter the sound" though. To me it seems more like, the thinner the strings, the thinner the sound (and volume). I think the materials used to make the strings play a bigger role in tone.

To the threadstarter: if you've only been playing a few months, then I suggest .011, or custom lights (though this differs with different brands). I think .010 are just rubbish sounding, way too thin. .011 will be easier on your fingers, especially if you haven't built up a callous yet. After a while, move on to .012, or if you want more bass, .013.

As far as brands go, I can't tell you much, since I don't like to experiment much. I used to use D'Addario, but I found they lost their sound and started to rust much much sooner than some of the cheaper more unknown brands. I'm actually sort of curious about this phenomenon. So anyway, I stopped using D'addario for acoustic strings altogether now.

With brighter, I mean thinner. Thicker strings give a mellower/fatter sound, Personally that's not something i'm looking for. I use 0.10 btw.
.012 is just the best and most versatile.

ye, you say you can play blasting leads on 12s? for YOU it is the best, but not for everybody. my small hands cant stand anything tougher than 11, and i play 10. For me 12s are ok only if playing with a pick. playing fingerstyle on 12s tend to tire my fingers quickly
you want to say i am retarded?
I use Ernie Balls Earthwood Lights and they last hella long. they are .11s and are really great sound wise. You should definitely try them.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
I bought some ernie ball earthwood 11's. They sound great and are much lighter on my fingers. Barre chords are now a reality after them being practically impossible on the strings that came with my guitar.

I bought some Martin's of the same gauge to try out when these need changing.

As some posters said the volume is a little lower so I may move up to 12's once my fingers get tougher and more flexible. But for now im sticking with these.

Thanks again

Dan
Quote by Regensgeliebte
ye, you say you can play blasting leads on 12s? for YOU it is the best, but not for everybody. my small hands cant stand anything tougher than 11, and i play 10. For me 12s are ok only if playing with a pick. playing fingerstyle on 12s tend to tire my fingers quickly
you want to say i am retarded?

As long as the action is low, and I have a thicker pick, yes, I can play leads just as well on .012, though I'm not too fond of blasting leads on acoustic like that Joscho Stephan does. but yeah, i didn't mention that smaller or weaker-handed people (not pointing the finger here) would probably fair better with lighter gauge strings. But still, I emulate my guitar heros, and I don't any of those fingerstylists that use anything lighter than .012.
depregan,

Ya still likeing the Earthwood strings? I'd like to give them a try.
Yamaha FG730S
Hey NC, They started to get dull after a month but I am probably playing about 2 hours a day sometimes more so within the normal range people were talking about. I did like the tone and feel and everything. I just put some Martins on and they sound good too. I probably prefer the Earthwoods but the Martins are a couple of pounds cheaper. While I am still very much a beginner I will prob just stick with these. For me it's not worth spending the money when I can't play that much anyway. I will prob go back to the Earthwoods when I get better at guitar.