Hey all,

A bit of a newbie when it comes to effects in general (and guitar only been at it 6 months or so). I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (tube), and love the cleans of it. However as many know the natural distortion isnt anything to admire about. Im a bit stuck on what can really help my fender achieve some classic rock, classic blues, bit of David Gilmore (I know he uses a Fuzz pedal), Jimi page, Gary Moore, Neal Schon etc. a bit too much to ask maybe with the effects Im looking into buying but need to choose one for now.

An overdrive/tubescreamer pedal (Looking at a bad monkey /ts9) to boost the clean channel or a EQ pedal, MXR 10 band/ 6 band to fatten/optimise the somewhat thin distortion of the HRD? I know oranges and apples, one extreme to another, but I'd like to hear some opinions of you all
what about an OCD?? I've heard they sound awesome with the HRD
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I have and HRD and run an OCD through it and it does sound awesome! At least I think it does.

Boosting the clean channel is a tad difficult on such a clean amp - it'll be high volumes before you get any kind of distortion there. An EQ is a good idea seeing as the amps EQ seems to do sod all. A TS9 would be good for fattening the drive channel with mid rangy goodness Personally, i'm in the same situation as you - for heavy distortion i max out my OCD and put on a little distorion from the amp - works wonders - I have a Big Muff for sustained and fuzzy shizzle and i'm looking to get a booster like an Analog Man Beano Boost to drive my OCD and amp a little more when needs be in certain songs.

I hope my ramblings helped a little
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Throw away old strings? Are you kidding me? They're the only thing that can strangle unicorns!

BE AFRAID OF THE MODIFIED BEAR!

I know I am
Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming!

My budget is around £60-70
Quote by Noir17
Thanks for the replies so far, keep em coming!

My budget is around £60-70

Wait, thats around $100 US Dollars right??

The OCD is $150, so you might need some more money for that. Really thats probably gonna be your best bet, so I'd recommend saving a bit more.
Yeah, I have a blues deluxe which sounds pretty close to what the HRD sounds like and it sounds like heaven when I run my OCD with it.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Yeah, I have a blues deluxe which sounds pretty close to what the HRD sounds like and it sounds like heaven when I run my OCD with it.

Thread jack, but may help TS so ill ask anyways.

No matter what overdrive i run through my dirty channel (Blues Deluxe), it sounds really brittle and fizzy, and not in a cool way. Any suggestions? By the way, i have the Gain maxed at 12, should i turn it down and rely on the OD to bring most of the smooth dirtyness in?
What are peoples opinions of the Bad monkey as a combo for my HRD or the general consensus around here on the BM?
I use an OCD (and separately a Russian Big Muff and a modern TS9) on my 2008 Blues Deluxe. They don't sound very good on the overdrive channel, but then the overdrive channel itself sounds like a so-so Tube Screamer anyways.

What *does* work very well for me is to use any of these on the Blues Deluxe's clean channel. Any reason not to do that instead?