i'm looking into building my own guitar, but i want to make it good. one thing that i am concerned as to which type of wood i should use for the body. i want i light, but tough and durable and for it to sound good. i will have other posts on here as i am ordering things, but all replies are welcome!

lildude_6859
Basswood or Alder would probably be best for you. It depends on your finish, really.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
i say alder. It's much more durable than basswood. Basswood for the price though. It looks ugly so if you're going to do a transparent finish, buy a veneer or avoid basswood at all costs. alder sounds much better to me though. Int he end, you can read a thread about it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah just check out the links on that other Ug thread they helped me a lot. Are you planning on buying a precut body or are you going to make one yourself?
i'm planning on cutting the body myself. i would have to say that i am thinking swamp ash or basswood. first, i have to save up for it, but that shouldn't be hard if i can find some odd jobs to do...after this, i am looking for pickups and pots. i looked at some pickups on ebay and i found some seymour duncan 59 zebra pickups for $73 a piece. i haven't really looked for pots though...help me with this please!!!
also a tip for wood, check around for local sawmills and stuff, I have one near my house i managed to pick up a usable piece of birdseye maple from for 16$, which is dirt cheap.
Quote by lildude_6859
i seriously have NO idea what to do about pots, so PLEASE help me!!!

Wiesen, why do you decide to always fail me?
Basswood is definatly the way to go. For Pots? I would go for...I think they are 1K or something like that? There is some kinda of pot where the bigger they get I think, the more control over volume you have. That's all I know. If you go through with this, I'm sure my Dad will help you.
Proud owner of an original Ibanez RG550!!
Incorrect, SFC.

The higher the pot value, the brighter the sound. 250k pots roll off a lot of high end which makes them suitable for single coil pickups which are naturally brighter sounding and can be shrill at times. 500k pots are better for humbuckers because they have a brighter sound than 250k pots so they help project some of the high end losses associated with the humbuckers design. 1meg ohm pots are typically the brightest guitar pot - not too many people use them but some people find them to be useful to brighten up overall tone from humbuckers... i don't think i'd ever want to hear a single coil pickup with a 1meg pot...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
i am pretty sure that the pickups i looked at were humbuckers, but i don't remember. i think i'm going to go with the 500k pots though. i am also looking into getting locking tuners and i want some good ones. i think what i heard was good was sperstsel or something like that, but i also need to get a nut for my strat look-alike and for this. i found a cheap neck on ebay (that's the only thing i don't want to make) help with tuners and nuts!!! (not the gens...don't need help with those)
so, i've been thinking about this also...a tremolo or a bridge like that of most Les Pauls? i was thinking, though that i already have a guitar with a tremolo, so i am thinking of getting this:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/TonePros-Standard-Locking-TuneomaticTailpiece-Set-small-postsnotched-saddles?sku=306141

i like the idea of this bridge, but i don't really know what would be easier to install. i would think that this one would be because you only need a couple of holes to drill in the body, but i am new to this stuff. HELP ME PLEASE!!!
1st, stop bumping your own thread
if you have access to a router, do a tremolo, if not do the TOM/stopbar combo, but not for starts.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
then build a LP or V instead, starts with a stopbar look stupid.
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
last night i was really bored at work, so i looked up parts online. the only thing i am too worried about now is the body i found and the bridge...seeing as i don't know how i would do this...help would be very welcomed here!!!
dude, calm down stop yelling HELP ME pLEASE everywhere. I've reread the thread twice and I have no clue what your plans are and what your trying to do.

Can you please post what the plans are for the build and what you want help with, without getting all worked up?
Quote by guitarcam123
dude, calm down stop yelling HELP ME pLEASE everywhere. I've reread the thread twice and I have no clue what your plans are and what your trying to do.

Can you please post what the plans are for the build and what you want help with, without getting all worked up?

okay...i want to make a flying-v with swamp ash or alder, which i don't know a good place to find it at. i want to make this with a tune-o-matic fixed bridge, but i have no idea of how to install it. i also want to put sperzel locking tuners on it, but don't know how to do this. diagrams would be a great deal of help for the pickups and all the other soldering.

I hope you get the picture that i am a noob who wants to build a guitar. i have NO idea how to physically do it, but i understand how to do it...for the most part.

Ryan Wiesen (lildude_6859)
Quote by lildude_6859
okay...i want to make a flying-v with swamp ash or alder, which i don't know a good place to find it at. i want to make this with a tune-o-matic fixed bridge, but i have no idea of how to install it. i also want to put sperzel locking tuners on it, but don't know how to do this. diagrams would be a great deal of help for the pickups and all the other soldering.
I hope you get the picture that i am a noob who wants to build a guitar. i have NO idea how to physically do it, but i understand how to do it...for the most part.

hmm.

No, you don't.

I don't mean to be a killjoy, but this entire thread reeks of another Austinzor build.

research.

A LOT.

It'll be worth it in the end. Go buy some books on lutherie, read up on sites, and take your time, make sure you understand EVERY ASPECT of what needs to be done. there's no such thing as preparing too much.
------

Shwiggity.
Get yourself the book "make your own electric guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock. It may be a bit funny on a few topics, but its a great resource anyway. Also, read the tutorials on Project Guitar. In fact, read as much as you can on the subject of building guitars and general woodwork. Then, if you have any questions, post them here. But at the moment, it is impossible to help you in the way you require as you seem clueless on the topic.

EDIT: ^beat me to it on the reading idea.
i've done some reading on this and used the site www.projectguitar.com ! this site is amazing!!! i have actually been thinking about building an sg instead. i think that it would look better for me than a flying-v would. i still need to get some money to get started on this, but you know how that goes. just updating this forum.
^(Y) Awesome! Make sure you post a thread so we can see it being built!

Also, are you going to go for a standard sg type spec? Or are you going for something different?
Go Dano on it. Cardboard and plastic covering.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
building a guitar is a great thing to do. It is still something that i want to do. but for now i will stick to customizing my guitars. I like to use wooden parts though, i would recommend that you use as much wood as possible on your guitar. and get some leather guitar straps to round it out.
i actually came up with a design for what i want to make last night. i drew it out on some paper. i don't have a scanner, i'll just describe what it kind of looks like. it looks like a mix between a Warlock and a Jackson RR series. i think that the drawing looks pretty good for me being a very crappy artist. like i said earlier in this thread, i want to put a tune-o-matic bridge on it. i am thinking 2 pickups, a pickup selector, and only volume knobs for this guitar. i am not sure on the headstock look i want for it though. i think i am going to go with a Jackson looking one, though. i will definitely get some pictures up when i start this build. i don't know exactly how i want to paint it, but i do want it to be original. i have to say i was really surprised to see how many replies i had in just one day, though

Ryan Wiesen