hey, i bought an unfinished neck off the internet, its pretty much done, it just doesnt have a finish.

I plan on spraying it myself, and i wanted to know if im supposed to mask off the neck binding along the fretboard and the fretboard. and how many coats should i give it?

thanks
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
what wood is it? (i'm guessing maple) but you might want to just rub tung oil on it or something, and call it done.

i personally HATE finished necks (they seem too sticky for me) but if you really want one you'll DEFINITELY want to tape off the binding. are you finishing the fretboard too? if it's all maple and you're finishing the fretboard then you may want to mask off the frets too. i've seen people lay a thin line of tape over a fret, then use an exact-o knife to cut the tape on both sides. perfect.

also, what are you finishing with? paint, or a clear coat of some kind?
just rub it with tung oil, makes it shiny, but keeps it smooth. i dont like the painted/lacquered necks either.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
what wood is it? (i'm guessing maple) but you might want to just rub tung oil on it or something, and call it done.

i personally HATE finished necks (they seem too sticky for me) but if you really want one you'll DEFINITELY want to tape off the binding. are you finishing the fretboard too? if it's all maple and you're finishing the fretboard then you may want to mask off the frets too. i've seen people lay a thin line of tape over a fret, then use an exact-o knife to cut the tape on both sides. perfect.

also, what are you finishing with? paint, or a clear coat of some kind?

i believe the neck is hard maple and the fretboard is rosewood.
i plan on giving it a clear coat finish.
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

ok cool, then obviously no finishing the fretboard, so i'd just tape from the binding all the way over the guitar. i've never clear coated a guitar neck before, just painted pieces. so as far as the number of coats and thing i can't say, but i think it really depends a lot on what you're going to use. i'd just follow directions really carefully, and take your time
what would happen if clearcoat were to get on the binding?
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

bump
Quote by RU Experienced?

^^ about me

Don't bump so often killer, someone will answer you.

It's not a big deal on the binding. You can finish the binding if you'd like, even the fretboard. The finish on the fretboard would take some damage though, depending on how hard you play and fret style.

Don't worry about additional clear coat, it's not a big deal.