Is there a way to play songs in Drop D while in standard tuning?

I don't think it would sound the same though.
It would be cool if you can though!
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
its easy to tune to D and back to E. just match the tone of your 7th fret on your E string to the tone of your open A and you have yourself dropped D. to go back into standard just match your A to your 5th fret on the E
Yes, just play each note on the E string 2 frets lower. You're screwed for D, and D# however.
It depends on the song and what's used. Most Drop D songs involve the use of the low D, so no, it's not the same. Some songs in Drop D can be done in E Standard, though, and I think they actually sound better that way - e.g. "Meant To Live" by Switchfoot.
Quote by icedog41
its easy to tune to D and back to E. just match the tone of your 7th fret on your E string to the tone of your open A and you have yourself dropped D. to go back into standard just match your A to your 5th fret on the E

orrr you can match to your D string lol.
Get up and free yourself from yourself.
- TOOL -

GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (silverburst)
Ibanez SZ720FM
Alvarez AD60CK
Crate FW65 Combo
Dunlop GCB95 CryBaby Wah
BOSS TU-2
BOSS DD-7
BOSS NS-2

*facepalm*
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Isn't there the EVH d-tuna?
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Why would you want to? And probably not, the low D is there for a reason.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Yeah, by tuning the E string to a D.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence[/center[
Just ignore any low D and Eb notes - after all that's all your missing and it's not like you don't have other options for them.

the song won't sound exactly the same, but it'll work fine and the harmony will be unaffected, you can get away with just using 5th and root doublestop for low D and Eb chords, or just play an open D5 with an extra open A in the bass.

You write a song in open D for one of two reasons, either because you want to make use of that low open D, in which case you can rearrange things but you'll lose a signature characteristic of the song....or because you want to play mong's powerchords with one finger, in which case it doesnt really matter.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Like steven said it is possible. It won't sound exactly the same, but close enough. One common sense thing is that you can achieve the notes by just moving two frets down (or actually up - you know, towards the headstock), but by that logic you'll soon run out of fretboard. Like in most Lamb Of God songs - the open low D is used extensively, and you can't go a tone lower than open. I would recommend just tuning to drop D - it's not that big of a change that it would mess up your guitar.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Last edited by fantasyh at Jul 21, 2009,
You just play 2 frets lower, I play this way when I'm feel lazy about retuning, some songs are nearly imposible to play that way, tho.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Why do so many people have a hard-on for the D-Tuna recently? I'm not sure some people even understand how it works...

I know how it works, and I actually don't like it, but that the's only way I can think of (without tuning down) to get the low E tuned to low D and keep the other strings in standard...
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Quote by Pac_man0123
Why do so many people have a hard-on for the D-Tuna recently? I'm not sure some people even understand how it works...

Yeah i'd actually like to see someone recommend a person to use a D-tuna for a hardtail bridge. Alternatively if you are extremely lazy then you can just use this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Hipshot_Guitar_Extender_Keys.html
Quote by darrenjables
I know how it works, and I actually don't like it, but that the's only way I can think of (without tuning down) to get the low E tuned to low D and keep the other strings in standard...

You don't even know if TS' guitar has a floyd rose or not, and to have it installed properly you need to make the trem dive-only. Plus, if your fine-tuners have enough range, you can just use it to tune to drop D with only minor adjustments to the other strings, if any.