Hi, I want to know some opinions of what to do when it comes to anchoring. Right now if i have to pick fast i anchor, or im playing a relatively relaxed speed i anchor on the High E, B, and G strings and when i go higher i float. Should i continue this? or just do all anchoring or all floating? any help would be great
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster by Squire
Ibanez Acoustic
Casio Keyboard
Line 6 Spider II
Zoom G2.1u pedal
Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Quote by Colohue
Nope. I'm far too honest.
The anchoring debate has been done to death. In short, don't do it. (IMO of course.)
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
Just don't anchor, It takes like an hour of concentrating on not anchoring to break the habit.
Quote by HowerPower
Just don't anchor, It takes like an hour of concentrating on not anchoring to break the habit.

It took me months of dilligent practice to break it completely, don't rush things.
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
I'm lucky in that i heard the "don't anchor" debate before I even played things quickly enough to where I might "need" to anchor... so i just don't. Everytime I started I caught myself right away. I use a lot of wrist action and sometimes rotational picking (using the thumb/index finger to move the pick in a small circle while using the wrist to do the normal alt. picking motion at the same time) and I get all the speed I need. I may have some bad technique in there, but nothing has been a problem for me yet. I've literally never had any sort of pain or fatigue in my picking hand.
okay thanks guys so i think the overall answer is to not anchor lol
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster by Squire
Ibanez Acoustic
Casio Keyboard
Line 6 Spider II
Zoom G2.1u pedal
Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Quote by Colohue
Nope. I'm far too honest.
It's not bad in itself if you are extraordinaire using it but I have yet to see someone who stopped(and achieve similar speeds) going back to it.
I've always anchored and that combined with playing computer games for 10+ hours a day and obsessive wanking at one point gave me carpal tunnel syndrome
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.